Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on vacation in Florida last week (Miami/Delray Beach) and saw more 718’s in 4 days then I will probably ever see in my lifetime where I live (Northern CT). In fact, I’ve never seen a 718 on the road (only at the dealers), so I was amazed at how many I saw (7-8) in just 4 days in FL. In my area of the country (Northern CT) you rarely see a Porsche, let alone a 718. It’s uniqness (in my area) is one of the things I like about the car. I’ll feel like I’m the only one that owns one.

How common are Porsches/718’s where you live?

·
Registered
233 Posts
I think there is one, maybe two 718’s (Caymans) in the building where I live. I’ve seen some 718 Boxters and Caymans around town. Miami is like a little LA, so you are bound to see fancier cars driving around as opposed to somewhere like La Belle FL, for example, which is orange grove country. Didn’t see any Porsches around there.

·
Registered
282 Posts
In Los Angeles, I see tons of 911s, Panameras, Cayennes and Macans, but very few 718s. I mean surprisingly few.

·
Registered
220 Posts
In Los Angeles, I see tons of 911s, Panameras, Cayennes and Macans, but very few 718s. I mean surprisingly few.
Same in much of the UK. But there are a lot of 718 nearly new and demonstrators on Porsche approved used websites. Very few 911's. Hope that's not an indication of future depreciation potential.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Same in much of the UK. But there are a lot of 718 nearly new and demonstrators on Porsche approved used websites. Very few 911's. Hope that's not an indication of future depreciation potential.
The U.K. media has been generally hard on the 718....as if they all pick up their cue from Chris Harris/Evo. That's my impression as a Yank, anyway. Contrast that to Car&Driver here.

From my frequent perusal of U.S. dealer inventories (new and CPO), I discern no pattern of a 718 backlog versus 911 (often more of the rear-engine models; and more pre-owned 981s than 718s). In fact if you're shopping for a manual Boxster on the "forecourt" (as I think you call it)....darn near impossible to find one anywhere.

eta: maybe more Brits buying non-supercar mid-engine opt for Lotus (very rare in states), Alpine and Alfa (non-existent).

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BTW - my post was not indicating poor sales, rather the differences there are from region to region in terms of Porsche/718 sightings. I find it interesting that in some areas of the country you see a ton of Porsches and in others, like mine, hardly any. I guess, in general, it’s just a matter of how affluent the area is.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I have only seen one 718C other than my 718B--and I know it was on loan from the dealer for testing.

I did see one pic of me in the Boxster on the local "Adelaide Exotic Car Spotting" website.:)

·
Registered
35 Posts
My wife and I made a trip in our 718 Graphite Blue from Montgomery, AL to Virginia Beach, VA. We received so much complements on the car and the color. It seemed like every stop every gas station someone was complementing us. Heads turn to look at our car on highway too.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
My wife and I made a trip in our 718 Graphite Blue from Montgomery, AL to Virginia Beach, VA. We received so much complements on the car and the color. It seemed like every stop every gas station someone was complementing us. Heads turn to look at our car on highway too.
Really, that kind of reaction to Graphite Blue, hmmmmm. Though, I have to inform you both GregW and I both agree that the best color/colour is Miami Blue.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Lots of Porsches (including the 718) in the Phoenix area of AZ. In fact, Porsche added a second dealership two years ago. I think the nice weather (most of the year) and wealth may have something to do with it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The U.K. media has been generally hard on the 718....as if they all pick up their cue from Chris Harris/Evo. That's my impression as a Yank, anyway. Contrast that to Car&Driver here.

From my frequent perusal of U.S. dealer inventories (new and CPO), I discern no pattern of a 718 backlog versus 911 (often more of the rear-engine models; and more pre-owned 981s than 718s). In fact if you're shopping for a manual Boxster on the "forecourt" (as I think you call it)....darn near impossible to find one anywhere.

eta: maybe more Brits buying non-supercar mid-engine opt for Lotus (very rare in states), Alpine and Alfa (non-existent).
As I drive in and out of London every day I see a lot of cars and from my experience, the 718 outsells the Lotus and Alfa by a huge margin. I'm not sure if the Apline is even on the road yet. I will hardly see any of those cars but see a large number of 718's.

Especially the Boxster as we Brits love an open top car.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I've not seen any in over a year in my rural backwaters. But there again, I only saw about two 981's in my three years prior to the 718. Must get out more.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think the nice weather (most of the year) and wealth may have something to do with it.
That makes a lot of sense. I need to move to a warmer climate. I know my 718 will come with me (when it arrives), but will my wife?>:D

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've not seen any in over a year in my rural backwaters. But there again, I only saw about two 981's in my three years prior to the 718. Must get out more.
We've got 5 OPC's in London so that's a lot of cars to sell to keep them all going!

·
Super Moderator
1,452 Posts
In Dallas, I'd say I see 8-10 Porsches an hour driving around town. Most are Macans/Cayennes. I'd break down the ratio to this:
- One Macan per three Cayennes
- One Panamera per eight Macans/Cayennes
- One Boxster/Cayman per 10 Macans/Cayennes
- One 911 per 12 Macans/Cayennes

As for the 718: I see about one a week now other than mine. Not sure if they are repeat cars. If I had to guess, I'd say I've only seen 6-8 other individual ones. Interestingly, only two have been S models; one Cayman (black) and one Boxster (white).

·
Registered
627 Posts
I found it interesting in a recent Top Gear episode that had Chris Harris driving an electric dirt bike, he was saying the bike made no real noise, but it didn't matter because it was so much fun to ride. I was thinking, wait didn't you say the sound of the 718 was terrible and took away form the enjoyment? How does that fit with a bike that make no noise at all, but doesn't matter because it was fun to drive?

·
Registered
109 Posts
In Dallas, I'd say I see 8-10 Porsches an hour driving around town. Most are Macans/Cayennes. I'd break down the ratio to this:
- One Macan per three Cayennes
- One Panamera per eight Macans/Cayennes
- One Boxster/Cayman per 10 Macans/Cayennes
- One 911 per 12 Macans/Cayennes

As for the 718: I see about one a week now other than mine. Not sure if they are repeat cars. If I had to guess, I'd say I've only seen 6-8 other individual ones. Interestingly, only two have been S models; one Cayman (black) and one Boxster (white).
I'm going to have to try and keep count of all the Porsche models I see on the road on the way to work and report back!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Here in Belgium, at least around Brussels, I've only ever seen one or two 718 C's, more B's (seem to be more popular than the cayman), but majority of Porsche cars on the road are the cayenne (more than the macan, around here at least), and a lot of carrera's actually.. Cayenne's I see every day and Carrera's I see every week... At work, one person has a Cayenne and a Turbo, another person has a Targa and (within two weeks or so) there will be a Cayman added to that lot (by me...)

·
Registered
45 Posts
+1 to South Florida. Just got mine! :)
That said, i believe i have only seen 1 silver 718 (in Miami) and 1 silver 718 Boxster S in Broward, 1 Miami Blue 718GTS....yet.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
About this Discussion
29 Replies
21 Participants
BB718
Porsche 718 Forum
718 Forum is the largest Porsche 718 Boxster and Cayman community. Join now to discuss modifications, exhaust, tires and more!
Full Forum Listing