Porsche 718 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 100 Posts

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
if you are going to take the car, I would insist on seeing it now before it goes to repair. One possibility is that the car was damaged in transit or at the dealership. You'll want to know the extent of that damage (I don't know what their legal obligations are wrt damage disclosure where you live)

The more I think about it, green hoops on a red car is a mistake even Ferrari wouldn't make in the factory. It seems like something else is happening here.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
if you are going to take the car, I would insist on seeing it now before it goes to repair. One possibility is that the car was damaged in transit or at the dealership. You'll want to know the extent of that damage (I don't know what their legal obligations are wrt damage disclosure where you live)

The more I think about it, green hoops on a red car is a mistake even Ferrari wouldn't make in the factory. It seems like something else is happening here.
This is the reason I suggested a nice leisurely "unaccompanied" stroll around the dealership. What's the worst that can happen?

·
Super Moderator
2,120 Posts
This is the reason I suggested a nice leisurely "unaccompanied" stroll around the dealership. What's the worst that can happen?
Since he's already asked for his deposit back he finds a car identical to the one he ordered (without the PSE), with a price sticker 10,000 higher than his contract marked "Sold".:mad:

·
Registered
314 Posts
As a point of interest, my U.S. flavor 2021 Cayman Base came standard with PSE. At first I though it wasn't working, so slight was the difference in sound. I had to roll down the windows and be backed into my garage to really discern any change in exhaust volume. If I had paid for that option, I would have been very disappointed because (on my Base model anyway) it was not very effective.
But the problem went away the first week I owned the car when I cut off the exhaust system and fabricated an axle-back straight pipe system. Now it sounds nice and it isn't too loud.

·
Registered
160 Posts
My car at least has to be in sport mode with the PSE engaged to hear the difference, there is a very noticeable change in tone and burbles etc with this mode engaged. Just switching on the PSE does not make a great deal of difference.

·
Registered
2021 Boxster
1,139 Posts
My car at least has to be in sport mode with the PSE engaged to hear the difference, there is a very noticeable change in tone and burbles etc with this mode engaged. Just switching on the PSE does not make a great deal of difference.
Opposite from mine. (Disclaimer: almost broken in. 1600 miles) Turning on the exhaust immediately gets gurgles and throatiness. Sport + mode takes it to another level. This is on a 2021 base box.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Opposite from mine. (Disclaimer: almost broken in. 1600 miles) Turning on the exhaust immediately gets gurgles and throatiness. Sport + mode takes it to another level. This is on a 2021 base box.
Interesting, I had come across a video that showed that at least for sound the optimal setting was sports mode with PSE on. I suppose it could be different setups for UK and USA cars.

Having tried all possible combinations, I have at least found these settings best for sound on mine.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Raven do you have sport chrono (must be you're referring to sport +)? On my base without sport chrono, the "sport" button on the center console increases idle and gives you crackles and pops when you lift off the throttle, and it also engages the exhaust flap and the start/stop defeat (all three switches illuminate when you hit "sport", you can deselect or select those separately). As everyone has mentioned, sport exhaust came standard on the 2021, previously it was part of the packages. Without sport chrono I don't have as many active suspension mounts (I believe the third one on the transmission is not active) and no rev-matching on downshifts (manual transmission).

So here's the question, with sport or sport + on the sport chrono knob, can you defeat the exhaust valve using the button on the center console (assuming you'd want to)?

·
Registered
2021 Boxster
1,139 Posts
Raven do you have sport chrono (must be you're referring to sport +)? On my base without sport chrono, the "sport" button on the center console increases idle and gives you crackles and pops when you lift off the throttle, and it also engages the exhaust flap and the start/stop defeat (all three switches illuminate when you hit "sport", you can deselect or select those separately). As everyone has mentioned, sport exhaust came standard on the 2021, previously it was part of the packages. Without sport chrono I don't have as many active suspension mounts (I believe the third one on the transmission is not active) and no rev-matching on downshifts (manual transmission).

So here's the question, with sport or sport + on the sport chrono knob, can you defeat the exhaust valve using the button on the center console (assuming you'd want to)?
No knob on the wheel. All buttons off normal sound. Center console: right side: exhaust button on: louder with the gurgle and crack: Center console: left side: Sport + mode: exhaust is much more pronounced. I'm pretty sure I don't have chrono sport on Bumblebee. Sorry if I confused the issue.
Anyway, I love the sport + sound and can't wait to get over 4 k rpm. On my Cobra exhaust ported under the driver and passenger doors. Could hardly hear myself think. We didn't even use car radios back then. lol.

·
Registered
152 Posts
No knob on the wheel. All buttons off normal sound. Center console: right side: exhaust button on: louder with the gurgle and crack: Center console: left side: Sport + mode: exhaust is much more pronounced. I'm pretty sure I don't have chrono sport on Bumblebee. Sorry if I confused the issue.
Anyway, I love the sport + sound and can't wait to get over 4 k rpm. On my Cobra exhaust ported under the driver and passenger doors. Could hardly hear myself think. We didn't even use car radios back then. lol.
Raven- are you able to take a pic? No worries if not. I was just curious Re the S+ button.

·
Registered
2021 Boxster
1,139 Posts
See, I learn something new from you-all every day. I turn the key, press the buttons and hammer the pedal. That's my job...... lol..... Does the Sports + sound more aggressive than my Sport mode?

Reactions: Robsx

·
Registered
179 Posts
Raven's center stack of buttons looks the same as my 2021 base boxster.

Although the ad copy says that PSE kicks in over a certain RPM, I do hear it get louder/quieter at idle when engaged/disengaged (it's not just the 100 or so rpm jump of the idle with Sport).

41 - 60 of 100 Posts