Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!
We have a 2019 Boxster S, PDK that has everything we want except the steering wheel multi-function.
Can this be installed?
If so; how complicated/difficult/expensive would this be?
Thx!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yes, it can be done. It's need a replacement wheel (obviously) and the steering wheel electronics unit (clock-spring), it's about 1K GBP plus labour (circa 2 hours). New wheel and electronic unit needs coding, dealer or Indi with PIWIS III. On the plus side you also get the heated steering wheel as that's also part of the retrofit kit.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Suncoast parts can sell you the multifunction wheel. Once you buy the wheel from a dealer, the Porsche mothership will allow a dealer to code the wheel to your car. Don’t try the eBay route, it wont work out in the long run. This is how I know the eBay route won’t work.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great! Thank you gentlemen for your input, much appreciated!!
One more thing; does the coding have to be done by dealership or can a properly equipped indie do this?
Thx, again!

·
Registered
25 Posts
It can be done by an Indi but they will need the PIWIS diagnostic tool to do it and access to the Porsche database to be able to get the VIN specific codes. Not sure what the deal is for Indi's in the US, in Europe an Indi can register for access to Porsche systems.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussions about the MF wheel come up every so often when someone asks about configuring a new order, what to take, what to leave off. I seem to be one of the few here who prefers the simpler wheel. What about it makes you want to go through the trouble and expense? To put it another way, what feature do you miss? What do you wish you could do but can't now?

The only thing in my Caravan that I miss in the Cayman is a volume control for the sound system, and I can live without that. What I don't need is a flick-of-the-thumb Sport Mode button - when I turn on Sport Mode, which is most of the time, I usually intend to leave it on. Everything else is just touch-it-occasionally, and certainly not in situations where taking my hands off the wheel would be ill-advised. The wheel is, in essence, for steering the car, not for anythng more (except for sounding the horn at idiots in the way:p).

So why are you looking to do this?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think the answer is everyone is different? That's what makes the world interesting is it not?

Personally having the volume, the MFD rotary and the phone controls all on the steering wheel makes the car a nicer place to be :)

Hey, we've even done a full retrofit of keyless entry and drive just because I don't like having to get the key out every time I unlock and start the car. You can imagine how difficult and expensive that was.......

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is not a track car for us, we intend to drive it on long trips and enjoy it to its fullest.
I guess we got used to, pampered by our 2018 Corvette GS steering wheel controls.
Who said you can't have it all!!! Lol!!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I can't quite understand why in 2020 Porsche would sell a car with multifunction steering wheel as an option. Even my mum's 20 year old Citroen has buttons on the wheel!
I could understand offering a more track focused steering wheel with a simpler design with no buttons as an option for those who don't intend to use the car as a daily, but I don't think expecting people to pay like 500$ for a MF wheel in 2020 is acceptable. Same goes for Auto Climate Control, Cruise Control, Parking Sensors, Rain Sensor and so many other basic features which, at least in Europe, are options. And not inexpensive ones, precisely.

·
Registered
851 Posts
My wheel only has a horn and SC mode switch wheel and am glad I didn't have to pay for a multifunction wheel that I didn't want. If my car were a DD, I'd probably like the multifunction wheel, but, maybe not. For my purposes, I don't play music and no one (but my wife) has my car's phone number, so it is nice to not have buttons or scroll wheels, etc. to complicate things. My DD (Subaru Outback) has a multifunction wheel and I do enjoy having it there, because I listen to music and make/answer the rare calls I get there.

Reactions: jns211

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
My wheel only has a horn and SC mode switch wheel and am glad I didn't have to pay for a multifunction wheel that I didn't want.
To take this even further and to answer @girarcat, some of us prefer the simplicity. Were that MF wheel not an option I'd be paying for something I'd prefer not to have, wishing it were like the "removal of name on rear" no-cost option except that I would already have paid for it anyway. It's like a computer keyboard or website page where there is absolutely no harmless inert space anywhere, anything you touch acdidentally causes something to happen. Give me too many "convenient" buttons and you are actually giving me fewer because I won't be able to use them without first having to think about it longer than it would take me to touch a buttton less convenient but more obvious.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts