Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone!
I just joined the forum and hope I picked the right place for my question. I just received my 2018 Boxster and am looking for an indoor car cover that form fits the 718, but I am not willing to spend $300+ just because I bought a Porsche. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks Mike

·
Registered
14 Posts
I purchased the Porsche Boxster Indoor cover and I'm glad I did. It's super soft, extremely light, and fits the car like a glove. Also, there is nothing on this cover that could scratch any of the finish. Glad I went OEM.

·
892 Posts
I purchased the Porsche Boxster Indoor cover and I'm glad I did. It's super soft, extremely light, and fits the car like a glove. Also, there is nothing on this cover that could scratch any of the finish. Glad I went OEM.
Me too although it's the one I purchased for my previous 981, so I've had it well over 4 years. It still fits perfectly despite the minor alterations betwixt 981 & 982 & I totally agree about the super softness. If I damaged the cover I'd buy another without hesitation. Not everything that costs is quality but quality always costs & this was totally worth the money.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Suncoast has the OEM cover for less. Also, some local dealers will give PCA members a break on parts/service.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for your input. Suncoast seems to be the only one that is less than 300 before tax and maybe shipping. Mike

·
892 Posts
Thank you all for your input. Suncoast seems to be the only one that is less than 300 before tax and maybe shipping. Mike
It has to be said that Porsche USA is charging you way over what the cover retails for in some other countries. Here in the U.K it retails at £201.00 which roughly equates to $269.00 & that's the full up retail price. Based on past experience with discounts I've previously obtained from my nearest OPC then I'd expect to be able to buy another for somewhere in the region of £170-£180 ($230-$242). Could it be worth you looking further afield or would shipping costs eat up that saving I wonder?

·
Registered
104 Posts
You can look also at ebay. Much cheaper options there. Covers for the 981 will fit 100%.

·
892 Posts
You can look also at ebay. Much cheaper options there. Covers for the 981 will fit 100%.
As I said in an earlier comment it's actually the genuine Porsche cover from my old 981 that I'm personally using. It's slightly tighter around the mirrors on the 982 / 718 but not so much as to be a problem & I've been using it just fine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It has to be said that Porsche USA is charging you way over what the cover retails for in some other countries. Here in the U.K it retails at £201.00 which roughly equates to $269.00 & that's the full up retail price. Based on past experience with discounts I've previously obtained from my nearest OPC then I'd expect to be able to buy another for somewhere in the region of £170-£180 ($230-$242). Could it be worth you looking further afield or would shipping costs eat up that saving I wonder?
Chilli,
I would assume shipping cost will eat most of that savings, Suncoast quoted $279 (most likely plus shipping and local 9.9% sales tax), total around $320. If the 981 cover fits however, I will have many more sources in all sorts of price ranges (just what I was looking for).
Again Thank You All

·
892 Posts
Chilli,
I would assume shipping cost will eat most of that savings, Suncoast quoted $279 (most likely plus shipping and local 9.9% sales tax), total around $320. If the 981 cover fits however, I will have many more sources in all sorts of price ranges (just what I was looking for).
Again Thank You All
But the prices I quoted also included our V.A.T (which for this item would be 20% of the cost) & that element doesn't actually need to be charged when exporting from the U.K to the USA. It sort of depends on whether the retailer is conversant with the rules & willing to help. However that does complicate things further & for such a relatively small cost item it's probably more trouble than it's worth.

·
Registered
476 Posts
i had a custom one made from cover king. it was the satin stretch cover. looks awesome, fits great, top notch cover. unfortunately it is around the $300 mark.

·
Registered
302 Posts
@pikachumain I have the exterior cover and i don't think it scratches the paint but as with any exterior cover I have to roll it up a specific way to keep the outside from touching the inside to keep the inside from getting dirty and then getting the car dirty.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Car covers scratch the paint unless you wash your car EVERY time just before you put one on. The more form fitting the cover is, the worse the problem is.

Here is the solution I used on the Ferrari I owned when I lived in Italy. I got a couple of used king sized sheets and had a lady sew them together. I trimmed the fabric so that when I put the cover on the car, the ends draped over the nose and tail and the sides draped down to just below the door handles. As everyone knows, road grime is impossible to avoid but the vast majority of it collects on the sides of the car from the fender arches on down. By lightly draping a light cloth on the top of the car, you can keep dust and dirt off the top and the windows; bird poop too. Dust hitting the lower sides doesn't have a tendency to stick, so leaving the lower sides uncovered doesn't encourage dirt to accumulate; however, leaving that part uncovered eliminates paint scratches caused by accumulated road grime which is almost impossible to avoid even if the car appears to be clean after a drive. And it keeps your car cover clean as well. Installing a dirty car cover is as bad as installing a clean cover on a dirty car.

Of course I washed my Ferrari frequently, but I usually didn't feel like doing that rather time consuming job right after returning from a drive, so the light weight cover worked out very well.

When I got ready to go for a drive in my Ferrari, I folded the cover from each end toward the middle of the roof, folded up the ends, and placed the folded cover on a clean shelf. When I returned, I put the cover back on by reversing the process, minimizing any scuffing and dragging of even this light-weight non-form-fitted cover. The paint on my Ferrari was perfect and it stayed that way for the four years I owned it.
Using a recycled sheet as a cover is not only very inexpensive, it's easy to wash and dry from time to time.

I passed this tip on to a number of fellow Ferrari owners and they all immediately saw the advantage of this type of indoor car protection since owning a Ferrari without a closed garage is considered pretty much a sin, even in Italy.

I'm not taking delivery of my 2021 Cayman until December, but I'll have this kind of cover ready and waiting when it arrives.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I don't use or see the need for a cover if garaged. Seems like more of a vanity thing than protection. Dust when a car sits for a while? Ah it hoses off easily enough if that's the issue.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yeah, I also don't see the point of a cover. I have an OEM one in the basement for my long gone 987 Cayman S, never used it, and now on my 4th Porsche. I guess maybe if you store your car over winter for months at a time (perish the thought).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts