Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

New to the forum here and am also on Planet-9. Trading in my 981 Cayman PDK for a 718 Cayman Manual. I am going to placing an order for one. Dealer has told me June/July delivery if I order this week. Has anyone in Canada gotten their delivered sooner?

Having a hard time choosing colour.

So far guards red on two tone red and black interior, otherwise Graphite with same interior or GT Silver.

In terms of options, going with:
19 Cayman S Wheels
Sport Seats 2 ways
6 speed
Sport Chrono
Extended Fuel Tank
Multi function Wheel
Seat heating
Seat Venting
Luggage Net in Passenger Foot Well
Smoking Package
Fire Extinguisher
Bordeaux Red Seat Belts
Connect

·
Registered
311 Posts
Welcome!!! I like your build--I have a similar build but with the Boxster. I almost went with Guards Red, but decided on the GT Silver and partial leather Black/ Bordeaux Red interior. I am in Pennsylvanian so I can't be much help with your question on delivery, but it seems that deliveries in Canada take longer than in the US. I ordered in January and have an April delivery. Hopefully with more deliveries there will be increased activity on this forum. Again--welcome and let us know what you decide with your color choice.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Congratulations. Like Gallatin, I don't live in Canada so I cannot respond to your question.

I am curious to know your opinion about the 718 coming from the 981?

On the Planet9 website it seems most 981 owners absolutely despise the 718 and really want to see it fail.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Honestly, I daily drove my 981, 60,000 KM. Test drove the 718 several times. The Chassis is more responsive and the increase in HP and Torque was needed to make the car feel movable coming from a 981. The only and only thing I would miss is the noise from the exhaust, otherwise the 718 is an improvement in every regard. The new PSM sport mode that decreases stability control to let you have more fun with the car is amazing. My SA took us for a spin and we put it in PSM sport and drifted some corners and did a donut and at the end of it all the car caught you at the very end. Just the right amount.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Honestly, I daily drove my 981, 60,000 KM. Test drove the 718 several times. The Chassis is more responsive and the increase in HP and Torque was needed to make the car feel movable coming from a 981. The only and only thing I would miss is the noise from the exhaust, otherwise the 718 is an improvement in every regard. The new PSM sport mode that decreases stability control to let you have more fun with the car is amazing. My SA took us for a spin and we put it in PSM sport and drifted some corners and did a donut and at the end of it all the car caught you at the very end. Just the right amount.
If your up for it and your wallet allows you can always consider getting an aftermarket system. With all the mass appeal the 718/Boxster/Cayman usually gets I wouldn't doubt we'll have a decent range to choose from. If that's a route you're willing to go, are there any brands you prefer?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If your up for it and your wallet allows you can always consider getting an aftermarket system. With all the mass appeal the 718/Boxster/Cayman usually gets I wouldn't doubt we'll have a decent range to choose from. If that's a route you're willing to go, are there any brands you prefer?
Yeah I am not too worried about the exhaust. Main thing I was going to miss was X73 Suspension, however Techart Springs should be able to fix that.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Thanks for sharing your balanced opinion. Obviously, your fondness for the H6 exhaust note was not enough to make you not consider the 718.

I did not have any previous experience with Porsche cars. I test drove a base 981 (6 speed) and a base 718 (PDK) back to back. The SA encouraged me to really push the car, but being unfamiliar with the roads and the car, I did not push beyond my comfort level. What I noticed was that the 718 had a lot more torque early on, and had an aggressive sounding exhaust note (which I like, BTW). The 981 required greater input, I suppose, to experience the same gains and I guess I did not put my foot in-it enough to experience the H6 "wail". Other than that the cars felt pretty much the same based on my brief test. What convinced me to go for the 718 is when the SA took the wheel (with my consent) and proceeded to demonstrate the cars abilities.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for sharing your balanced opinion. Obviously, your fondness for the H6 exhaust note was not enough to make you not consider the 718.

I did not have any previous experience with Porsche cars. I test drove a base 981 (6 speed) and a base 718 (PDK) back to back. The SA encouraged me to really push the car, but being unfamiliar with the roads and the car, I did not push beyond my comfort level. What I noticed was that the 718 had a lot more torque early on, and had an aggressive sounding exhaust note (which I like, BTW). The 981 required greater input, I suppose, to experience the same gains and I guess I did not put my foot in-it enough to experience the H6 "wail". Other than that the cars felt pretty much the same based on my brief test. What convinced me to go for the 718 is when the SA took the wheel (with my consent) and proceeded to demonstrate the cars abilities.
Don't get me wrong, the H6 exhaust note is nothing but spectacular, however one must weigh the sound of a car to how it performs. Its really a personal preference how much you put your priority to sound vs performance.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Turns out the two tone partial red and black interior is no longer available in Canada, pretty annoyed with that. Heres my new config:

PHYUHCI0

·
Registered
10 Posts
I traded my 2015 Cayman with Sport Exhaust in on 718 Cayman S. I thought I would miss the Flat-6 "Porsche Howl" when I went to the 718, but I soon learned that the 718 has its own unique "Porsche sound" which I call the "the Porsche Growl" for whenever I touch the accelerator for a bit more speed--she growls and much more so when in the Sport mode!

Reactions: sailor99

·
Registered
311 Posts
The old saying is that the worst Porsche is the one that comes after the one you own. The 4 cylinder just gives the 98z owners a bone to chew on.
I stopped following the 718 conversation on Planet 9--seemed pointless. There seems to be a much more balanced commentary on the Rennlist 987/981--718 sub forum. I am looking forward to more conversations here as more people take delivery of their 718s.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I stopped following the 718 conversation on Planet 9--seemed pointless. There seems to be a much more balanced commentary on the Rennlist 987/981--718 sub forum. I am looking forward to more conversations here as more people take delivery of their 718s.
Thanks for the heads up - yes much more balanced on the Rennlist site.

I hope this site grows as the ownership of 718's grow, and I also hope it doesn't get polluted with all the noise from the 98x crowd, as on Planet 9.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Me too. It's been almost 3 weeks since I've been there. To bad because Planet9 provided my introduction to Porsche Forums and contributed to my purchase decision. I visit Rennlist occasionally.

Yes, more discussion here.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts