Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 Cayman and can't seem to brighten the dash lights for daytime driving. The tach is almost impossible to read.
Any suggestions?

thanks

Any sugg
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Window
estions?

·
Registered
2021 Cayman GTS 4.0
959 Posts
I think the only solution is to turn on your headlights. Although this disables the light-turns-w-steering feature (oddly, and IIRC).

I personally have no issues seeing the tach. I find the orange needle easy to see. Even if the numbers were hard for me to read, I intuitively know where they are anyway.

I have a 2017 Cayman and can't seem to brighten the dash lights for daytime driving. The tach is almost impossible to read.
Any suggestions?

thanks

Any sugg View attachment 45034 estions?

Reactions: Raven

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussed in a few other threads. Found a Macan thread with interesting info, not cross referenced for the 718 yet. I think I will order the White Dials when I get an allocation.

·
Registered
2018 Cayman 2.0
388 Posts
Common complaint. Apparently (I haven't got the tools to try it yet), if you change the light controller config to say that you have white gauge faces the gauge backlighting is on even with the headlights off. I've seen it said that the needle is still not illuminated though, so perhaps there is another code change hidden in there for that.

By the way, nice looking Cayman. But I may be biased...
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussed in a few other threads. Found a Macan thread with interesting info, not cross referenced for the 718 yet. I think I will order the White Dials when I get an allocation.

In that Macanforum thread, RunBuh and I discovered that by coding the instrument panel with white dials, the dials will remain on all the time, even with headlights off.

If you continue reading on that thread a few post before the discovery, you’ll see that I did a lot of experimentation with coding on this subject. There is a code you can activate (at least in the Macan - which I think it has to work in Cayman as well) that will illuminate both the dials and needle. The only issue is that it also illuminates all exterior markers. So I’m not sure that’s a good solution.

The white dials solution is a great compromise.

You can code these changes with PIWIS or with a less expensive LAUNCH X431.

·
Registered
185 Posts
OK wait...so you have attempted to turn up the brightness with the little knob on the speedometer, right? It's the knob you press to reset the trip counter. It also has the ability to slightly twist right or left to turn up or down the dash brightness.

I'd say do it in a darkened garage so you can see the change.

·
Registered
2018 Cayman 2.0
388 Posts
OK wait...so you have attempted to turn up the brightness with the little knob on the speedometer, right? It's the knob you press to reset the trip counter. It also has the ability to slightly twist right or left to turn up or down the dash brightness.

I'd say do it in a darkened garage so you can see the change.
The dimmer does nothing when the lights are off because the gauge backlighting is not active, which is the complaint here. Daylight with no headlights, the gauges can be difficult to see.

I guess I'm going to need to buck up and buy a Launch X431 and see about dealing with this (and several other things). At least the X431 (unlike a PIWIS) will talk to my Audi as well. Which is good, as the cheap Android tablet that I used with OBDeleven on the Audi has died, and I'm never going to buy another Android device.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Coding parameters that need to be changed to “YES”.

Launch X431 is under “Instrument Cluster”
PIWIS is under “Kombinstrument” - coding in PIWIS is in German.

Automotive lighting Audio equipment Font Musical instrument accessory Automotive exterior

1 - 8 of 8 Posts