Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

New user here. Owned the car for about a year and no qualms to date. I was posting to see if anyone had experienced a similar issue to myself as in the past I have found owners' clubs to be extremely useful and filled with knowledgeable folk.

I was driving home early this morning and after driving an hour on the motorway I stopped to have a drink. After stopping, re-starting the car and driving for <5-10min I got the following error message:

'Engine over temp. Park vehicle to cool down'

I could also hear the fans working overtime. I pulled over (thankfully very early morning so no cars on the road), and waited for the engine to cool down (UK = freezing cold mornings). When the temp had cooled down as per the warning message, I tried driving off again and after a few minutes and the coolant temperature increased from normal operating temp (90-100) to 120 and the same error message came up. I then pulled over again & called my breakdown company who then recovered me home on a flat bed.

I am in the process of calling up some Indy's to see if anyone can help diagnose +/- get me going again.

Does anyone have any insight into what may be going on? Regardless, I will post my progress on here to help anyone else that experiences this in the future.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
337 Posts
Hi. Sorry to hear about your issue. Is the car still under warranty? If so I’d get it to a dealer for them to look at. Could be something simple such as a faulty sensor but best to get it checked out.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I assume those temperatures are deg Celsius. The coolant should be under pressure so should not boil over easily. Maybe you have a leaky radiator cap or it isn't seated properly. That should be easy to check. Maybe you have a leak in a hose. Maybe you have a blocked hose. Any good shop should be able to find those problems.

Reactions: nk9nk9

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi all,

New user here. Owned the car for about a year and no qualms to date. I was posting to see if anyone had experienced a similar issue to myself as in the past I have found owners' clubs to be extremely useful and filled with knowledgeable folk.

I was driving home early this morning and after driving an hour on the motorway I stopped to have a drink. After stopping, re-starting the car and driving for <5-10min I got the following error message:

'Engine over temp. Park vehicle to cool down'

I could also hear the fans working overtime. I pulled over (thankfully very early morning so no cars on the road), and waited for the engine to cool down (UK = freezing cold mornings). When the temp had cooled down as per the warning message, I tried driving off again and after a few minutes and the coolant temperature increased from normal operating temp (90-100) to 120 and the same error message came up. I then pulled over again & called my breakdown company who then recovered me home on a flat bed.

I am in the process of calling up some Indy's to see if anyone can help diagnose +/- get me going again.

Does anyone have any insight into what may be going on? Regardless, I will post my progress on here to help anyone else that experiences this in the future.

Thanks in advance
Coolant or motor oil temp?

Generally the motor oil temp display would “stay” at 90 Degree Celsius with normal driving, while coolant temp displays varies from 95-108 degree Celsius depending on the mode you are on (if you have sport Chrono package).

From my experience, it could be Water pump leak or COV issue.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
For all others that could get this issue, turn of the car and remove the key.
After 15sec start the car and see if the issue is still there.

If it is a sensor fault chances are that it has been reset.
And if the car actual is over heating it will still be to warm.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts