Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am reading here for a while and I am pretty much amazed how good this forum is. This is because of respect what you barely see on the internet these days. Thank you and keep on in that manner.

Now to my first post.

I have been driven a 991-II GTS for a while and recently switched to 718 GTS. Here is what I feel:

911 vs. 718

round 1: engine
- smooth and refined vs. rough and
edgy
- extreme vs. very much power
- 6 scream sound at high revs vs. 4 banger fun metal (soundactor deconnected) at middle revs
- like Kawasaki 4 cyl. vs. Ducati 2 cyl.

round 2: chassis
- curves like on rails, very stable, feels very secure up to very high curve speeds vs. curves like on rails but with more play around the vertical axis
- total trustworthy and secure feeling vs. it just wants to play
- a little bit boring (sooo stable and secure) at moderate speeds vs. fun and entertaining at all speeds
- extremely high curve speeds possible with ease vs. very high curve speeds possible with ease
- turns around the butt vs. turns around the center (more fun)
- the best and fastest chassis you can get for that money vs. the most fun to drive chassis you can get for that money

verdict:
total capability vs. total fun
both are great cars, but one is even more entertaining 馃檪

Registered
Interesting reading!

What would be your longterm pick?

I've just brought home a 718 Cayman GTS and loving it! But, if money was no problem I would have looked to an 991.2 GTS. So just curious if my longing for "the big brother" perhaps isn't something to long for?

Registered
Similar here. Always wanted a 911 and was drawn to the GTS, but it's hard to justify the 拢 when my 718GTS is so so good. Love reading comparisons from people who have had both

Registered
When I bought my 718 GTS, I cross shopped the 991.2 GTS. In the end, I really wanted the smaller car and the extra dollars where hard to justify. Both cars were about 90% of what I wanted in a car so the tie went to the cheaper car. I鈥檝e never found a car that was 100% my dream machine. I currently have five cars and have tried to make each one fill a niche for my driving fun/usage.

Registered
Then we have 2 up for the 718 GTS so far :)

I believe I read a thread of an gentleman choosing the 718 GTS over the 991 Turbo.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Iwe asked what would be my long term pick. Thats hard to tell because the 718 is still so new. After half a year or so when the initial sensation is gone I may know.

I just would like to add some additional thoughts. As you may have recognised handling, steering and chassis are the most importand categories for me. This is where I get most of the driving pleasure.

But what you prefer is very individually. If other things would be more important, the 911 may be the more fun car to drive.

What I liked a little bit more in my previous 911 was the look of the dashboard, the rear seats as extra interior space, the look of the extra fat rear tires and the wide butt of the car.

My advice is:
If you really enjoy your current car, don't look too much to other options because that does'nt make you happier in your current situation.
If you want something new, just make an individual list of the three most important or fun generating things (can be chassis, engine, design, image, fulfillment of childhood dream, number of cylinders, or anything else you can think of) and look which car does fullfill your list the best. Finally test drive it and get the car with the most smiles per mile.

For me right now it's the 718. For you it may be different.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
...just one more thing.
Why do we sometimes talk in the way "small brother (718)" vs. "big brother (911)" and things like that? Man, we all have great 718s which stand there as great car on its own. With such point of view we just make this car look like it has some defect or is inferior or so. 718 and 911 are just different cars which aim at different customer needs. I would always refer to what is different and not superior or inferior.
We are really lucky to be able to consider two different great cars and not just one.

Registered
I鈥檝e never found a car that was 100% my dream machine. I currently have five cars and have tried to make each one fill a niche for my driving fun/usage.

i agree whole heartedly! the f150 is in the driveway for daily driving and trailering duties. in the garage is the cayman s, my track toy; 1983 911 sc targa , the former track toy and now fun day and weekend drives; 1986 jeep cj-7 completely new underneath but still original paint outside, summer fun and trail riding; 2006 harley ultra classic. i don't want to eat tuna fish for lunch every day!

Registered
What great, and pragmatic, collection of vehicles you have nineball! Personally, I have a soft spot for the earlier CJ-5s, but that's a carryover from the lovable '48 CJ2A that drove me crazy to keep running but allowed me to exclusively get to my future wife for nearly a month after the great snow storm of 1977 in my area.

Registered
I own both a 2018 718 CS and 2017 991.2 base.

Both are modified

718 CS
- Kline exhaust and 200-cell downpipe
- Cobb pro-tune (similar to stage 2?)
- probably similar to a 420 HP car

911 base
- IPD plenum
- Fabspeed x-pipe
- Cobb tune stage 1
- probably similar to a 460 HP car

911 feels way more powerful on highway, almost effortless.
- Definitely sounds better

718 CS is also powerful, but I have to rev up high to get such power, with a little bit effort
- it does feel more secure at windy road at high speed, than the 911
- even with better flow from sports downpipe , (soundkator disabled), the sound is still not as good

Already ordered Armytix exhaust system with 200-cell downpipe. And Cobb stage 2 tune already available. Once done, this 911 should feel like a 520HP car.

718 CS is my DD. 911 is my wife鈥檚 car thus my weekend car if I want to. Both are long-term keepers for me. In ideal world, I wish the 3.0T engine is in the 718 CS.

The only other upgrade I could possible do is a TTE580 turbo charger (theoretical max output of 580 HP) on the 718 CS.
- can not find any review on anyone who might have used TTE580 turbo charger
- since I can not find matching intake tubes and Intercoolers, I wonder how effective would TTE580 be by itself

Registered
I own both a 2018 718 CS and 2017 991.2 base.

Both are modified

718 CS
- Kline exhaust and 200-cell downpipe
- Cobb pro-tune (similar to stage 2?)
- probably similar to a 420 HP car

911 base
- IPD plenum
- Fabspeed x-pipe
- Cobb tune stage 1
- probably similar to a 460 HP car

911 feels way more powerful on highway, almost effortless.
- Definitely sounds better

718 CS is also powerful, but I have to rev up high to get such power, with a little bit effort
- it does feel more secure at windy road at high speed, than the 911
- even with better flow from sports downpipe , (soundkator disabled), the sound is still not as good

Already ordered Armytix exhaust system with 200-cell downpipe. And Cobb stage 2 tune already available. Once done, this 911 should feel like a 520HP car.

718 CS is my DD. 911 is my wife鈥檚 car thus my weekend car if I want to. Both are long-term keepers for me. In ideal world, I wish the 3.0T engine is in the 718 CS.

The only other upgrade I could possible do is a TTE580 turbo charger (theoretical max output of 580 HP) on the 718 CS.
- can not find any review on anyone who might have used TTE580 turbo charger
- since I can not find matching intake tubes and Intercoolers, I wonder how effective would TTE580 be by itself
Good comparison! Great gains to be had from the 3l tt engine.

Stage 2 718 CS should be around 450hp, stage 1 is 420hp.

Registered
The 718 has plenty of room to grow in the power dept. I also thought about a 911, but I would need 150k plus to get what I wanted, and I love the fast back stylings on the cayman, so the 718 GTS won my heart . maybe if I'm still alive and kicking 10 years from now I'll move up, or maybe not.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts