1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Porsche 718 Cayman S: 2nd Place - 2017 Motor Trend Best Driver's Car - Motor Trend

Randy Says...

The advantage of the four cylinder turbo here is the midrange torque. There’s a big punch in the midrange. And I’m not waiting for the revs to build for the power to build. It’s already here now."
Great links....best one above. Well expresses the feel this car gives you when driving it. Tested 981's 2014/2016, 2017 911 base/C2S, and 2016 GT3 and for me the mid engine 718 was the best. I will be testing a 2016 GT4 soon and curious to see how that performs and feels.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I bought my car I was looking at the base 2017 Cayman. That was the day after Thanksgiving 2016. Problem was, 718 Caymans were scarce. I found a dealer about an hour away with 1 base Cayman available for testing. Their only other Cayman $92k model sitting in the showroom.

I test drove a low mileage manual 981 (2015), and a PDK 982 (2017). Torque low in the RPM range was the obvious difference to me between the 2 cars. In the end, my wife convinced me that the Cayman S is really what I wanted. :)

·
Registered
459 Posts
She'll be thanking herself even more come time to move onto something else because in the past I have seen that Caymans hold their resale value very well, but there are of course times where they tank.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
She'll be thanking herself even more come time to move onto something else because in the past I have seen that Caymans hold their resale value very well, but there are of course times where they tank.
Cars, in most cases, are badly depreciating assets. Unless I am mistaking I expect to lose about 30 or 40 K after a couple of years if I should try to sell it. Rather than take that kind of loss I will give that car to my wife when I get my next car or just hang on to it. Though, the GT cars do much better on resale.....

·
Registered
716 Posts
Cars, in most cases, are badly depreciating assets. Unless I am mistaking I expect to lose about 30 or 40 K after a couple of years if I should try to sell it. Rather than take that kind of loss I will give that car to my wife when I get my next car or just hang on to it. Though, the GT cars do much better on resale.....
Unless you've got a super-limited edition car that you never drive you are probably not going to make any money on the car. And I don't understand people who buy those cars and never drive them.

IMO you should buy the car you can afford and love to drive. Who cares how much it is worth in 1,5 or 10 years. If resale value is a concern then you probably should not be buying that car.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
IMO you should buy the car you can afford and love to drive. Who cares how much it is worth in 1,5 or 10 years. If resale value is a concern then you probably should not be buying that car.
Absolutely, I am always perplexed by people that say a car is an investment. The 718's are great cars and I love driving them, end of story.....

·
Super Moderator
1,941 Posts
In that case it will yield untold dividends.......the best part of those dividends is the TAX man can't get a cut.
I love the dividends, and hope they keep coming--but here in Australia the tax man takes his big cut off the top, before the keys get passed over.:crying:

Greg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts