Porsche 718 Forum banner

718 Cayman S, Alfa 4C or Lotus Evora

6K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  GregW 
#1 ·
Hi All

Now that I have my wife taken car of (she has a 2018 Alfa Romeo Stelvio), I am reaseraching my future fun car. I will sell my 49,000 mile 1987 Porsche 944 turbo this year.

I've narrowed my search down to the three cars in the title. Looking forward to discussing the 718.

#2 ·
Hi All

Now that I have my wife taken car of (she has a 2018 Alfa Romeo Stelvio), I am reaseraching my future fun car. I will sell my 49,000 mile 1987 Porsche 944 turbo this year.

I've narrowed my search down to the three cars in the title. Looking forward to discussing the 718.
Welcome, and have fun researching. I was in a similar position a year ago. One thing I can guarantee you, if you end up liking the Cayman, the Porsche Configurator will be on your favorites bar. :D

#3 ·
I never got to drive the 4C, only sit in one. It's a pure track car and the interior and overall build of the car shows it. Even the seats are not easily adjustable. Look into the forum and you'll see that one specific adjustment requires you to unbolt the entire base. I think it's a beautiful car and will most likely get one in the future to add on.

The 718 Cayman is beautiful in it's own right and fits a lot of boxes. The most important one for me was drivability for me and my wife. She preferred the overall quality and comfort of the Porsche, this for me spoke volumes as my intent was to get something she would enjoy driving as well.

Only real way to compare is to test drive them as close to each other as possible, with similar builds and options.

#4 ·
Thanks guys! I have been on 4C forums and it is more of a raw vehicle than the Cayman. One of 12,000 mile service items is "tightening all the bolts". There is also some complaining about competent Alfa mechanics (or lack thereof).

#5 ·
If you describe what you want from your new car, i’m sure the 718 crew will be able to tell you if/how this car may or may not meet your desires!

For me, the thing which swayed me primarily was the pure drivability of the 718, if you get the chance to drive one at a Porsche Experience Centre it will allow you to experience the full potential.

I purchased my 718 based on the way the cars made me feel whilst on multiple test drives. Since taking delivery and now running in my Cayman I am not disappointed in the decision!

#6 ·
i too really like the 4C and will probably have one one day, but i am a porsche nut and i have lusted after a cayman since the first time i saw a white one in person 8 years ago. i liked the 944 i had but i only owned it for a few months. it was an impulse buy at the time and i ended up selling it a few months later to a friend. he raced them and needed a new car, made me an offer i couldn't refuse, life moved on. my 83 targa is my baby, and will eventually be my coffin :) the rest have all come and gone over the years but i loved them all.

the cayman really is the best of both worlds for me. i went with all performance options as it will mostly be used for the track, but i can swap the wheels and take it out any nice day or evening i want to. as noted the 4C really is more of a track oriented car as delivered and compared to the cayman, however the cayman will do just as nicely on the track should you choose to go that route.

i'm 6'1" 235lbs so i have never met a lotus i liked - they are just too small :)

#7 ·
Any Alfa offers something romantic. Their driving experience is signature as is their sound. In terms of build quality, I wouldn't trust it to protect anyone I know period. In the 4C Spyder, the windshield surround is so flimsy, you can wiggle it with some shove. I've tried it on a few. Attempt that in a Boxster and you'll end up doing what you'd expect and shake the entire car.

It's har to knock too hard because it is a great driver and up to par with either 718, but simply put, not well screwed together.

Also, the performance of the 4C I believe is closer to that of a 718 than a 718S.

#8 · (Edited)
I couldn't agree more with GTS Daddy above! Except, I've yet to drive one... I've read and spent some time around Alfa's. From my findings, it seems the build quality leaves much to be desired. I really like the Gulia! The twin turbo 2.9 sounds amazing! But there are 2 major factors I would look closely at when considering an Alfa vs a Porsche. First is build quality and reliability. The two cars are on the opposite end of the spectrum when it comes quality and reliability. Second is the dealerships that sell the Alfa products cannot be compared to a Porsche Dealership. One is a relaxed and professional environment, and the other is slightly better than walking into a Chrysler store (maybe a slight exaggeration). I only mention this because owning an Alfa, you'll be spending quite a bit of time in the dealership. And if that dealership is anything like the ones we have here in Arizona, that alone will turn you away from the Alfa. They really are beautiful cars and definitely Italian! It's an opinion obviously, one is a perfectly balanced car that does everything well (think beautiful, functional, and loyal) and the other is a promiscuous super model that you can't trust unless she's standing within 10 feet of you. >:D

I guess what I'm getting at is: If you're leasing, it doesn't matter which one you get between the two. Both are top notch! It's like dating. There's nothing wrong with dating the exotic and wild girl that when you walk into an event or party with, you're automatically a star because of your trophy arm jewelry, but I'd keep a close eye, because I wouldn't be surprised if she's flirting with someone right in front of you. On the other hand, you can walk into that same event with your beautiful woman, that's smart, classy, knows how to conduct herself, you love her from head to toe because she deserves it, even when you're upset with her. Plus, you don't have to worry about her trying to find a better mate when you're together.
Thing is, if you're buying: I'd buy (marry) the beautiful, classy, smart, love from head to toe woman that at least leads you to believe you're the only man on earth. In my opinion, it's the ONLY choice between the two for a marriage (or purchase).

As far as the Lotus, they have horrible A/C units that barely blow cold air. I live in the Arizona desert, so the bad A/C (which Lotus seems to refuse to fix) is a complete deal breaker for me. Plus, between the 2 other cars, the Lotus is simply out classed in everyway possible. It's a canyon carving track toy, and I'm not so sure it would beat either one of the 2 cars on a track either.

Please forgive my analogy if you find it offensive, that's not my intention. I just find to be an easy analogy to understand...

Reactions: 8833
#10 ·
These responses are so impressive! I too am given to emotional analogies and like comparing my cars with women. The Porsche Experience idea is quite good. I test drove a base Cayman before finally choosing an Audi S5 five years ago, but couldn't bring myself to "beat" a car that someone would soon buy to be his cherished mistress- so missed the true potential. I have 6-9 months of saving to go before buying any of my dream cars (girls) with cash. Thanks again gentlemen!!

#11 ·
I drove a new Evora a few months back. For all it's greatness I still felt like it was missing a lot when it came to interior finish out, quality etc. The 718 felt light years ahead in that department. It commanded a BUNCH of attention too. That's a plus or minus depending on your perspective.

#12 ·
I narrowed things down to the same three choices last Summer.

But honestly, the Evora was never a serious consideration. I already own a Lotus 7 if I want get beat up while driving.

I liked the fact that both the 4C and Cayman had a dual-clutch gearbox. My wife can't drive a stick and, this point, she ain't learning.

Both cars have sufficient performance for street use.

I wasn't real crazy about the Dodge Dart engine in the 4C. It seemed cheesy to me.

And on this point: It occurred to me that Porsche could have easily used a 2 liter Audi four in the 718. As Toyota did when they used the Corolla drive train in the MR2. That would have been the quick and dirty way to do things. But instead Porsche developed a purpose-built engine for the 718. I'm an engineer and a racer who's interested in automotive heritage. I like the fact that the Cayman has a unique, Cayman-only engine that follows on the history of the original 550/718 and even the 904.

The quality of visible bits on the Cayman is evident. Mine feels like it's carved from a single billet and exudes quality. The 4C interior looks cheap and fragile. Friends of mine just did a 14,000 mile trip in their Cayman. I wouldn't hesitate to do the same thing.

I love the appearance of the 718 but I actually think the 4C is a better looking car.

But the dollar-store interior and the Dart motor dissuaded me.

#14 ·
I had the opportunity to drive the 4C on few occasions and once for few days. All what was said so far about it is true. It has an exotic look and it fells exotic.

You can get in almost any car while talking on your cell phone and not even realising you just got in your car. Getting in a 4C is an experience in itself. Getting of it out is another experience. Starting the engin or turning the steering wheel (not assisted) or hitting a bump, etc... everthing that happens makes you realise that you are driving that 4C. And you can't think or do anything else while driving it. It feels very fast: no power sterring assistance, no suspension, very loud (no muffler: apparently it is almost straight pipe... to be confrmed). At one point, I was driving on the highway so fast, I got affraid to loose my licence. Then, I looked at the speedometer and I was only going 130 km/h (81 mph). LOL !!!!!

But unlike any 718, you can't daily drive a 4C. It is way to much of an in your face experience. It is so so so unconfortable. You may wonder if the susension was an option you didn't pick. And you almost have no padding on the unconfortable seats. Within a week you will have lost all the fillings of your teeth. It is that hard!!!

Some say it's a track car. But it is not faster in curves than any 718 with any suspension. But the 4C feels faster than it realy is.

It offers a great driving experice ... once in a while... if you are rich enought to own many sport cars and happen to fall in love with this litle toy.

And I am not even considering its reliability or its resale value... many dealers still have to this day some new unsold 2016 models...!!! This is scary...

This being said, if I had to borrow a car for a sunny long wekend and I had the choice between a 718 and a 4C, I would probably choose the 4C (as I would if it was a Z06 Corvette) and return it just before I loose the filling of my teeth.

But in real life I had to purchasse a lovely sport car that I can thruly enjoy every day. So I ordered a 718 model. Less excessive but more livable and enjoyable.

I just felt in love with the 718 (I test drove few models) and I couldn't stop driving it. Every time I drove the 4C my love affair with it lasted 30 minutes.

#17 ·
It feels very fast: no power sterring assistance, no suspension, very loud (no muffler: apparently it is almost straight pipe... to be confrmed).
Confirmed. It controls sound via engine programming and a cat that, based on what I understand, partially functions as a de facto resonator. The 500 Abarth has no muffler, either; just a cat and more traditional resonator.

But unlike any 718, you can't daily drive a 4C. It is way to much of an in your face experience. It is so so so unconfortable. You may wonder if the susension was an option you didn't pick. And you almost have no padding on the unconfortable seats. Within a week you will have lost all the fillings of your teeth. It is that hard!!!
Also confirmed, having ridden in a couple -- both of which I could have driven, but (and this is no exaggeration) I could not shoehorn my 6-4, 235, bum-left-kneed self into the driver's seat. It is, quite literally, the least roomy modern street-legal car I have ever been in, and that counts the S2000, Lotus Elise, and first-gen Miata.

I'm frankly amazed Alfa allowed the 4C to make it to market, except to serve as kind of a reverse halo car for its U.S.-market re-introduction. It kind of backfired, I'd say ... let's hope the Giulia/Stelvio save it (though the former's numerous reported 'launch edition' electrical gremlins are certainly not helping).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.