Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had these on for a month or so now but haven't seen many 718s with them so thought I'd post my specs for anyone that's interested in 20" aftermarket wheels. Was pretty tricky getting the offset right as no one really seemed to know what it "should be" so I went with my own custom offsets.

I was originally going to go BBS FI-Rs which are very elegant but they are GT4 fitment which is fine for the rear but not the front unless you use spacers.

The HRE R101 LWs are just as light and probably a little stronger. Also available in less than 2 weeks. Color is Gloss Charcoal.

I haven't gotten around to measuring the original wheels but on the bathroom scales the HREs were ~16lbs (7.3kg) front and ~19 lbs (8.5kg) rear so you are really getting what you pay for in terms of weight saving.

Sizing is 20 x 8.5 ET53 and 20 x 11 ET49. These custom offsets add ~ +10mm front and rear over the Carrera S wheels so maintain the factory staggered ratio but add a little more stance and track.

Tires are Cup 2 N1s 245/35 front and 295/30 rear which made a noticeable difference at the limit on cornering. This is essentially GT4 set up but FYI GT4 wheels are 20 x 8.5 ET61 and 20 x 11 ET50.

I believe the weight saving is ~ 9lbs per corner. The car certainly feels more lively with less unsprung weight although I haven't yet done any objective tests.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Looks good Don! Does your GTS have a PASM or PASM Sport set-up?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Don

Thank you for sharing.

HRE makes quality wheels . . . and I am afraid to even ask how much they cost you?

Your post was fit- and performance-focused, suggesting you like to spend a fair amount of time at the track. Also based off your post, I am under the impression you are more than pleased with the track performance gain achieved with the lighter and presumably stronger HRE wheels, as well as the 245/295 tire stagger.

Aesthetically – although VERY nice - I do not feel the HRE wheels are much different or more appealing than stock GTS wheels. Specifically, the spoke pattern is very similar between HRE and stock wheels, and I prefer black over gloss charcoal on the GTS. Of course, nothing more than personal preference and opinion . . . even if in agreement, aesthetics do not appear to represent the primary impetus behind modification.

AVM

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks good Don! Does your GTS have a PASM or PASM Sport set-up?
It is PASM Sport. So 10mm lower over PASM and total 20mm lower over stock.

I think aesthetically it could be a little lower but I think sometimes it is handy having the extra clearance. Then I think maybe 15mm lower would be nice.

Stock 718 must be really high!

I am undecided between an H&R sport, Techart or KW HAS kit. These kits are also carry overs from the 981 rather than being 982/718 specific. Even Ohlins does not make 718 specific suspension. So no choice but to go for a 981 kit. Maybe it doesn't matter.

·
Registered
269 Posts
It is PASM Sport. So 10mm lower over PASM and total 20mm lower over stock.

I think aesthetically it could be a little lower but I think sometimes it is handy having the extra clearance. Then I think maybe 15mm lower would be nice.

Stock 718 must be really high!

I am undecided between an H&R sport, Techart or KW HAS kit. These kits are also carry overs from the 981 rather than being 982/718 specific. Even Ohlins does not make 718 specific suspension. So no choice but to go for a 981 kit. Maybe it doesn't matter.
Ok, thanks. I've got a CS with 20" Carrera S wheels on PASM and was thinking of going the TechArt route. Not as low as the H&R, but a nice drop (I believe 25mm with PASM). But, I need to checkout the KW kit if it has adjustability. I believe the 981/718 suspension set-up is the same. My Bimmer is lowered on Dinan springs and it made a big difference in the chassis feel. I wouldn't track the car enough to make coil-overs worth the while.

I like the Carrera S wheels with the exception of the offset. While I don't like egregious wheel poke, I think Porsche was a bit conservative on offset with these wheels. Not sure I want to go the spacer route, but not ready to go for new wheels at this point.

Thanks again and enjoy!

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
...HRE makes quality wheels . . . and I am afraid to even ask how much they cost you?

Your post was fit- and performance-focused, suggesting you like to spend a fair amount of time at the track. Also based off your post, I am under the impression you are more than pleased with the track performance gain achieved with the lighter and presumably stronger HRE wheels, as well as the 245/295 tire stagger.

Aesthetically – although VERY nice - I do not feel the HRE wheels are much different or more appealing than stock GTS wheels. Specifically, the spoke pattern is very similar between HRE and stock wheels, and I prefer black over gloss charcoal on the GTS. Of course, nothing more than personal preference and opinion . . . even if in agreement, aesthetics do not appear to represent the primary impetus behind modification.

AVM
Thanks for your comments.

Yes, the HRE R101 LWs are expensive and the cost of a small car but the R101s are comparable to other similarly high performance wheels in terms of quality and weight. You do get what you pay with respect to those last ounces but there certainly are other better value performance mods like perhaps a tune or other forged wheel makes, albeit a little heavier.

However, it is a good way to improve the performance of your car without affecting your warranty.

HRE does make some more affordable wheel options and I believe the smaller size wheels like the Titan 7 TS-5 and Apex SM-10 are good value.

I actually don't track but I do enjoy Tarmac Rally Alpine style driving where you need to be really confident with your grip as there is no run off and often massive drops or trees or banks. The extra margin from the high performance wheels and Cup 2 tires is inspiring but the standard wheels with 4Ss are still good but do slide around a little in comparison.

In Australia we have some Tarmac Rally events where you can go in a "Tour Group". The pace is fast on closed roads but we are speed limited to 120km/h and there is no timing so it is all about driving the curves. Needless to say some people do slide off particularly when it is wet.

I agree aesthetically, the stock Carrera S wheels are very nice and if I'd had the choice I probably would have gone for a slightly different design. However, in the R101s they only come in that design. I think there are some engineering benefits from the small triangles in that design which other makes like BBS and other manufacturers have used for their light weight wheels.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Had these on for a month or so now but haven't seen many 718s with them so thought I'd post my specs for anyone that's interested in 20" aftermarket wheels. Was pretty tricky getting the offset right as no one really seemed to know what it "should be" so I went with my own custom offsets.

I was originally going to go BBS FI-Rs which are very elegant but they are GT4 fitment which is fine for the rear but not the front unless you use spacers.

The HRE R101 LWs are just as light and probably a little stronger. Also available in less than 2 weeks. Color is Gloss Charcoal.

I haven't gotten around to measuring the original wheels but on the bathroom scales the HREs were ~16lbs (7.3kg) front and ~19 lbs (8.5kg) rear so you are really getting what you pay for in terms of weight saving.

Sizing is 20 x 8.5 ET53 and 20 x 11 ET49. These custom offsets add ~ +10mm front and rear over the Carrera S wheels so maintain the factory staggered ratio but add a little more stance and track.

Tires are Cup 2 N1s 245/35 front and 295/30 rear which made a noticeable difference at the limit on cornering. This is essentially GT4 set up but FYI GT4 wheels are 20 x 8.5 ET61 and 20 x 11 ET50.

I believe the weight saving is ~ 9lbs per corner. The car certainly feels more lively with less unsprung weight although I haven't yet done any objective tests.
Thanks for sharing your findings, Don. Thinking of getting some aftermarket wheels on my 718 GTS wheels as well. Your findings will come in handy!

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, thanks. I've got a CS with 20" Carrera S wheels on PASM and was thinking of going the TechArt route. Not as low as the H&R, but a nice drop (I believe 25mm with PASM). But, I need to checkout the KW kit if it has adjustability. I believe the 981/718 suspension set-up is the same. My Bimmer is lowered on Dinan springs and it made a big difference in the chassis feel. I wouldn't track the car enough to make coil-overs worth the while.

I like the Carrera S wheels with the exception of the offset. While I don't like egregious wheel poke, I think Porsche was a bit conservative on offset with these wheels. Not sure I want to go the spacer route, but not ready to go for new wheels at this point.

Thanks again and enjoy!
I agree the offset is not quite right on the Carrera S wheels, Carrera Sport wheels are a little better.

I used to run spacers on my last car and they were fine but they are actually not approved/legal in our country. Otherwise it is a cheap performance and aesthetic mod so well worth doing. 10mm all corners would be fine.

Ok so 25mm drop with PASM would mean a 15 mm increase in drop over my PASM-S which would be nice. TBH I have seen some photos of Techart vs H&R sport springs and there doesn't seem to be much in it and they both sit very nice.

I've been told the KW HAS is only adjustable on the front with similar rear drop to the Techart. I guess it could still be useful if you need to adjust the front a little due to scraping but in my experience I would rarely adjust once set and seems pointless if the back is not adjustable.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Don

I put H&R Sport springs on my Macan Turbo and they were fantastic. I placed them for aesthetics (lowering); they lowered precisely as advertised, approximately 15mm. What surprised me is the improvement in handling the springs provided.

The caveat is the Macan Turbo has a lot more to give in terms of lowering compared to the 718, so not sure my experiences are relevant, other than to state the H&R produces some quality springs.

Finally, if you lower you 718 much more the car will be essentially 'slammed.' Is that an aesthetic you are after? It is all subjective and personal, but I think your 718 sits just fine in its current state.

AVM

·
Registered
428 Posts
Hello fellow GTS'er: Love the wheels and color of both car/wheels! I too prefer BBS-FI-R. Do you remember what size spacer would have been required for the fronts? Do you have any offset info for the BBS, front and rear? Thanks!

View attachment 24624

View attachment 24625

View attachment 24626

View attachment 24627

View attachment 24628

View attachment 24629

View attachment 24630

View attachment 24631

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Some more info I found regarding BBS fitment. Not sure if this would work in real life.

I did investigate purchasing with Baanvelgen, but their lead times are very long and it ended up being easier and slightly cheaper to purchase the HREs locally and I think they might be a little stronger, whilst comming in at near identical weights.

Also as mentioned, BBS don't really have the right offsets for a 718, but there is no doubt about it the FI-Rs are a beautiful wheel and if you run spacers you are fine.

The BBS wheel specs specfied for the 718 you've linked to are:

Front BBS FIR 147 - 20 x 8.5 ET61 5x130 PCD for 718
This wheel/offset is actually for a 981/982 GT4. It will fit a 718 fine and the outside lip (+2mm) will be similar to stock Carrerra S wheel, but ideally you want ET53 or up to ET47 if you run a bit of camber, so up to a 15mm spacer. Or a 5mm spacer if you want to match the rear wheel.

Rear BBS FIR 148 - 20 x 10.5 ET44 5x130 PCD for 718
This wheel/offset is for a base 991. It will fit a 718 fine and at 10.5" the outside lip will extend +7mm compared with the stock Carrera S wheel.

However, 10.5" it is a bit narrow and you really want the 11" if you want to run a larger 295 tire.

So if you want the BBS FIR in a 20 x 11" then your only choice is the GT4 wheel which is ET50, and as is it will extend by +8mm compared to the stock Carrera S wheel, so similar to the 10.5 in ET44, but ideally you want to run ET49 or up to ET40 on the rear with the 11", so up to a 10mm spacer.

Now if that hasn't confused you and you really want the BBS FI-Rs I would get the GT4 spec:

Front BBS FIR 20 x 8.5 ET61 5x130 PCD with say 5 or 6mm spacer.
Rear BBS FIR 20 x 11 ET50 5x130 PCD and run as is.

It only really gets complicated if you want to improve the stance of the car or widen the track a little for performance benefits.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I did investigate purchasing with Baanvelgen, but their lead times are very long and it ended up being easier and slightly cheaper to purchase the HREs locally and I think they might be a little stronger, whilst comming in at near identical weights.

Also as mentioned, BBS don't really have the right offsets for a 718, but there is no doubt about it the FI-Rs are a beautiful wheel and if you run spacers you are fine.

The BBS wheel specs specfied for the 718 you've linked to are:

Front BBS FIR 147 - 20 x 8.5 ET61 5x130 PCD for 718
This wheel/offset is actually for a 981/982 GT4. It will fit a 718 fine and the outside lip (+2mm) will be similar to stock Carrerra S wheel, but ideally you want ET53 or up to ET47 if you run a bit of camber, so up to a 15mm spacer. Or a 5mm spacer if you want to match the rear wheel.

Rear BBS FIR 148 - 20 x 10.5 ET44 5x130 PCD for 718
This wheel/offset is for a base 991. It will fit a 718 fine and at 10.5" the outside lip will extend +7mm compared with the stock Carrera S wheel.

However, 10.5" it is a bit narrow and you really want the 11" if you want to run a larger 295 tire.

So if you want the BBS FIR in a 20 x 11" then your only choice is the GT4 wheel which is ET50, and as is it will extend by +8mm compared to the stock Carrera S wheel, so similar to the 10.5 in ET44, but ideally you want to run ET49 or up to ET40 on the rear with the 11", so up to a 10mm spacer.

Now if that hasn't confused you and you really want the BBS FI-Rs I would get the GT4 spec:

Front BBS FIR 20 x 8.5 ET61 5x130 PCD with say 5 or 6mm spacer.
Rear BBS FIR 20 x 11 ET50 5x130 PCD and run as is.

It only really gets complicated if you want to improve the stance of the car or widen the track a little for performance benefits.
Really appreciate this!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Even Ohlins does not make 718 specific suspension. So no choice but to go for a 981 kit. Maybe it doesn't matter.
Hey Don, just an FYI. Ohlin Road and Track does make a specific kit for the 718. I just finished installing it. The parts # are the same as the 981, but they have different ride height specs for the 718 and it is called out specifically in the instructions. I will be posting a review when I have time but suffice it to say, they transformed the car and I have only driven spirited back roads to this point. At least for me, the change was almost profound in how much more comfortable I was driving in a spirited manner. I just knew the car would go where I placed it and just felt significantly more confident. Add to that, while the car did feel maybe 20% firmer, it felt WAY smoother... as though riding on a small cushion of air. They eliminated almost all the high frequency jostling.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Hey Don, just an FYI. Ohlin Road and Track does make a specific kit for the 718. I just finished installing it. The parts # are the same as the 981, but they have different ride height specs for the 718 and it is called out specifically in the instructions. I will be posting a review when I have time but suffice it to say, they transformed the car and I have only driven spirited back roads to this point. At least for me, the change was almost profound in how much more comfortable I was driving in a spirited manner. I just knew the car would go where I placed it and just felt significantly more confident. Add to that, while the car did feel maybe 20% firmer, it felt WAY smoother... as though riding on a small cushion of air. They eliminated almost all the high frequency jostling.
What did you have before? How much for a set?
Does it increase the fun factor or numb it because it turns effortlessly?

·
Registered
106 Posts
What did you have before? How much for a set?
Does it increase the fun factor or numb it because it turns effortlessly?
718 Cayman S non PASM suspension. I think they run $3100 retail for the complete kit. For me, it increased the fun factor significantly. Did the exact opposite of make it feel numb. Made the car feel more agile, connected, alive. Its hard to describe it, but again, it takes the harshness out of the suspension, what would be the high shaft speed damping.

You know the feeling you get, like a higher frequency vibration when driving on road that does not have perfectly smooth pavement, like roads with exposed aggregate ? It all but eliminates that, but feels firmer and more precise at the same time. (this makes it more comfortable and less fatiguing) It is the same feeling I had when switching to a set of Penske Double Adjustable shocks.(about $4000-5000 a set) on our old Z06 Corvette. There is a significant amount of adjustment as well. Right now I am running them -20 clicks from full stiff which they recommend for regular street driving. I started at -10 from full stiff and it was a bit to firm for my wife.

I bought them primarily for autocross, but honestly now that I have driven the car, I would make the upgrade just for spirited driving on the street.

·
Registered
428 Posts
718 Cayman S non PASM suspension. I think they run $3100 retail for the complete kit. For me, it increased the fun factor significantly. Did the exact opposite of make it feel numb. Made the car feel more agile, connected, alive. Its hard to describe it, but again, it takes the harshness out of the suspension, what would be the high shaft speed damping.

You know the feeling you get, like a higher frequency vibration when driving on road that does not have perfectly smooth pavement, like roads with exposed aggregate ? It all but eliminates that, but feels firmer and more precise at the same time. (this makes it more comfortable and less fatiguing) It is the same feeling I had when switching to a set of Penske Double Adjustable shocks.(about $4000-5000 a set) on our old Z06 Corvette. There is a significant amount of adjustment as well. Right now I am running them -20 clicks from full stiff which they recommend for regular street driving. I started at -10 from full stiff and it was a bit to firm for my wife.

I bought them primarily for autocross, but honestly now that I have driven the car, I would make the upgrade just for spirited driving on the street.
Nice! Thanks for the feedback. Very curious how different they feel from a SPASM suspension (20mm drop).

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's good to hear but I expect the spring rates are the same on the 981 vs 982/718 Ohlins kit regardless, like all other 981/718 suspension kits, but this probably doesn't matter as the weight distribution is near identical. Although the different ride heights might be correcting for this a little.

I think for a non-PASM car the Ohlins RT is probably one of the best coil-overs you can buy and I believe the springs are fairly linear. 20% firmer sounds well tolerable. I know Janko Lind posted some nice reviews but the brand alone is so reputable.

For those who want custom spring rates and want to retain PASM the only option seems to be Tractive RT but a little expensive. Or maybe Bilstein Damptronic but you are back to fixed spring rates and I think progressive springs which isn't always a good option.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
questions to the OP. any idea if rear tires @ 305/30- 20 would fit without issues? Janko Lind is running this size on his setup but I do not know what offsets he has on his Lightweights. I got a price on the lightweights from a US Distributor at a whopping $ 10K for a set (wheels only). Also, what are your thoughts on this setup: 20 x 8.5 et 47 and 20 x 11 et 45.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think maybe it is worth shopping around a bit for the Lightweights.

305/30- 20 would fit ok on 11" but I believe 11.5" rim is ideal.

If you do a search on here David Lemmens has 8,5 J x 20 ET49 + 11,5 J x 20 ET56 991 Carrera S IV wheels with 255/305 tire sizes on standard suspension set up.

According to Wheel Offset Calculator | 1010Tires.com Discount Online Tire and Wheel Store

20 x 8.5 et 47 would give you + 16mm on the standard Carrerra S wheel so you will be getting close to the limit, Seb Vittell (Manthey Racing GTS) runs + 17mm with no issues but has more camber.

20 x 11 et 45 would give you + 13mm on the standard Carrerra S wheel which would be fine. Seb Vittell runs ET40 so extra 18mm with spacers.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts