Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Cayman 2.0
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I received my new Launch X-431 Pro v.4 yesterday, and have spent a fair amount of time with it and the Cayman today.

I'm pretty pleased with the X-431 so far. Works great as a code reader (it knows I had pulled the fuse from the sound generator), and should do all the maintenance resets and other normal DIY stuff easily.

And the coding function appears to be fairly complete and robust. Here's the (updated) list of what I've done so far:
I've failed (so far) on a couple things, which means I either haven't found the true spot to change, or haven't found some other required spot (some changes need to be made in multiple locations).
  • Change Auto headlight sensitivity
  • Enable spoiler indicator light
*Have done this 2 ways, one with the white gauge face hack (that doesn't illuminate the needles), and one by adding the tail and parking lights to the DRLs, which illuminates the gauges and needles.

Still to come:
  • Enable NAV display in MFI (need LVDS cable)
Other things I'm thinking of that I'm not yet sure if they can be done:
  • Auto parking brake engage
  • Re-map tail light function to EU/RoW config
  • Enable PDK Coasting mode while A-S/S is off
Something I noticed to research further - There are some spoiler params that appear to indicate possible visual spoiler notification, either in MFI or console button light. First attempt did nothing, but I'm going to give that some more research later.

Anyway, so far, so good. Even if I don't get any of the other stuff to work, what I've done so far is great.

·
Premium Member
2,094 Posts
I guess one can get into the weeds with this thing if they're not fully read in on it, but I will be following along. There are some items you have already addressed that I would also like to do as well. Did you purchase it from Amazon? Looks like they're price reduced right now.

·
Registered
2018 718 CS
190 Posts
I was documenting my coding changes in my own log (My 2018 Cayman Mod Log), but figure this would be a better place to consolidate all cdoing changes…

All my coding mods/changes will be listed here:

Using my Launch X431 PRO 3S+ V2.0

1. Activated 4-point LED ON while headlights ON (normally 4-point LED turn off when headlight turns on).

Coding:
Rear-End Electronics: Codiertabelle: Exterior Lighting: Exterios Lights, DD as a marker light = YES

Rear End Electronics: Exterior Lights Parameters: Dimming value for DD lights as marker light = 100

This in essence makes the 4-point daylight driving light a marker light when headlights are on. It retains the daylight driving function when headlights are off.

Automotive parking light Wheel Vehicle Tire Grille

2. Activated window open/close with comfort function
https://flic.kr/p/2nFZx8h
CODING:
Front End Electronics: Coding: Coding_0: Coding-Comfort functions-Window Comfort Opening = YES

Front End Electronics: Coding: Coding_0: Coding-Comfort functions-Window Comfort Closing = YES

3. Changed turn signal "One-Touch flashing Cycle" from 3 to 5

CODING:
Front End Electronics: Coding: Coding_0: Exterior Lights Parameters-One touch flashing cycles = {whatever number of flashing cycles you prefer}

4. Activated Wiper Tear Drop function.
This function activates an additional pass of the wiper a few seconds after washer is activated and normal wiper mode is finished.

CODING:
Front End Electronics: WWS Coding: WWS Coding-Teardrop function active = YES

5. Enabled illumination on RPM gauge and Speedometer with headlights off (Another member in MacanForum and I did a lot of research to figure this one out, and you can even find threads here in the 718forum making reference to our discovery in the Macan Forum). You can turn on only the central RPM dial or both speedometer and RPM gauges.

CODING:
Instrument Cluster: Dimming-general configuration: Configuration-all dials white = YES

Instrument Cluster: Dimming-general configuration: Configuration-central dial white = YES

6. Emergency Brake Display (EBD) Activation: This code enables emergency brake display, when braking hard (which is a modifiable acceleration parameter), your brake lights will flash to catch attention of drivers behind you…. In the video I show this feature in my Macan…

https://flic.kr/p/2ng4pY2
CODING:
Rear-End Electronics: Coding Value (or Codiertabelle): Exterior Lighting: Exterior Lights, emergency brake display function available = YES

Rear-End Electronics: EBD Parameter: Speed brake light flashing On = 3 {whatever speed you want emergency brake to start activating, default is 70km/h, but I set it up at any speed above 3 km/h… once car reaches 3 km/h, if I brake hard, it will activate}

Rear-End Electronics: EBD Parameter: Decceleration brake light flashing On = 0.45 {whatever deceleration value you choose… through experimentation, I found that setting this value to 0.45g is appropriate}

Reae-End Electronics: EBD Parameter: Decceleration brake light flashing Off = 0.35 {whatever deceleration value you choose… through experimentation, I found that setting this value to 0.35g is appropriate}

Rear-End Electronics: EBD Parameter: Brake light flashing run-on time = 1 {this is the amount of flashing time… through experimentation found that 1 second is enough, otherwise you could stop at a light and the lights could still be flashing (while you are stopped)}

Other parameters within EBD parameters can change the rate of flashing. I left those unchanged, as I found the original setting to be OK.

7. Changing Sound Symposer (Soundaktor) sound loudness: This will change the loudness (volume) of the soundaktor, which is a device that produce artificial engine sound to ”enhance“ engine sound in the cabin.

CODING:
Sound Symposer: Loudness_actuator_for_structure_borne_sound = 0 {you can set this to any value between 0 to 100%. Original setting is 100%. I set this value to 0%, as the reality is that the engine sounds much better without artificial enhancement}

·
Registered
2018 718 CS
190 Posts
I received my new Launch X-431 Pro v.4 yesterday, and have spent a fair amount of time with it and the Cayman today.

I'm pretty pleased with the X-431 so far. Works great as a code reader (it knows I had pulled the fuse from the sound generator), and should do all the maintenance resets and other normal DIY stuff easily.

And the coding function appears to be fairly complete and robust. Here's the list of what I've done so far:
  • A-S/S button saves last state
  • Gauge backlighting always on*
  • Disabled seatbelt warnings
  • Remapped coolant temp gauge accuracy
  • Comfort blinkers to 4
  • Windows up/down with key fob
  • Change side markers to indicators only**
  • Activated teardrop wiper (not tested yet, don't want to spray all over the car).
  • Change/disable the auto-headlight washing after 10 washer uses
I've failed (so far) on a couple things, which means I either haven't found the true spot to change, or haven't found some other required spot (some changes need to be made in multiple locations).
  • Change spoiler deploy speed
  • Change Auto headlight sensitivity
  • Change side markers to indicators only*
*Have done this 2 ways, one with the white gauge face hack (that doesn't illuminate the needles), and one by adding the tail and parking lights to the DRLs, which illuminates the gauges and needles.

**Note - I thought I'd failed on this one, but it appears to have working now, the front corner lights are now ONLY indicators, they do not illuminate with the parking or main lights. Not 100% sure what change that I made did that, so I hope I continue to like it that way as I didn't make notes of any of the settings that didn't seem to work...

Still to come:
  • Enable NAV display in MFI (need LVDS cable)
Other things I'm thinking of that I'm not yet sure if they can be done:
  • Auto parking brake engage
  • Re-map tail light function to EU/RoW config
  • Enable PDK Coasting mode while A-S/S is off
  • Don't unlock all doors when opening trunk/rear lid via fob or proximity sensors
Something I noticed to research further - There are some spoiler params that appear to indicate possible visual spoiler notification, either in MFI or console button light. First attempt did nothing, but I'm going to give that some more research later.

Anyway, so far, so good. Even if I don't get any of the other stuff to work, what I've done so far is great.
I wasn’t able to disable auto start/stop with Launch…. I can deactivate in Gateway, but the two codes in Instrument Cluster are not taking. Wonder if you could do with yours. I think PIWIS may be required for this one.

BTW… congrats on your X431 purchase. This is a good investment, and one that every Porsche owner should consider, not only to modify coding, but it is a magnificent diagnostic tool.

Before I took delivery of my car, I took my X431 to the dealer and assessed the health of the car, checked rev limiter, battery health, etc…

·
Registered
2018 718 CS
190 Posts
A couple of us in the Macan Forum started this list… It is the same for the 718… we could continue to contribute here:

·
Registered
2018 Cayman 2.0
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I wasn’t able to disable auto start/stop with Launch…. I can deactivate in Gateway, but the two codes in Instrument Cluster are not taking. Wonder if you could do with yours. I think PIWIS may be required for this one.
I didn't disable A-S/S, I just changed the config so that the car remembers the state of the A-S/S button on start up. So I have A-S/S turned off now, and the car starts up with it already off. I don't have to remember to hit the button every time I get in the car. The setting apparently only remembers the A-S/S and PASM button states. PSE, PSM, etc. are not remembered.

Remember Auto Stop/Start (ASS):
AIR CONDITIONING> Coding value--Default Driving State Coding Value = Last Mode
{Default: Eco ON}
AIR CONDITIONING> Coding value--Default Driving State Coding Value Last Mode = Yes
{Default: No}

Rectangle Font Material property Screenshot Parallel

Rectangle Font Material property Screenshot Parallel

·
Registered
2018 Cayman 2.0
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess one can get into the weeds with this thing if they're not fully read in on it, but I will be following along. There are some items you have already addressed that I would also like to do as well. Did you purchase it from Amazon? Looks like they're price reduced right now.
Yup, you do need to proceed with care, and only make one change at a time. And take good notes. I've already caused one head-scratcher - I'm not sure where or how I disabled the front side marker function. They no longer come on as position lights, but they still blink with signals or hazards. I'd didn't make good note of what I did as I didn't notice when that behavior changed. I'll need to spend a little more time tracking it down.

I bought the X431 because I wanted a solution that supported both my Porsche and my Audi. The Launch products do that, and no extra charge for more than one car make.

Yes, from Amazon. It was $900 less a $50 'coupon' = $850. Not cheap, but it has already made several things about the car better (IMO), and definitely saved me $230 or so on the console switch memory module.

·
Registered
2018 Cayman 2.0
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
5. Enabled illumination on RPM gauge and Speedometer with headlights off (Another member in MacanForum and I did a lot of research to figure this one out, and you can even find threads here in the 718forum making reference to our discovery in the Macan Forum). You can turn on only the central RPM dial or both speedometer and RPM gauges.

CODING:
Instrument Cluster: Dimming-general configuration: Configuration-all dials white = YES

Instrument Cluster: Dimming-general configuration: Configuration-central dial white = YES
The quoted change works well, but doesn't illuminate the gauge needles, just the backlit numbers and such. An alternative is to enable what is sometimes called "Scandinavian DRLS" which basically adds all the exterior position lights when the ignition is on—front parking lights, side markers, tail and license lights. It also lights up the gauges, including the needles. So this is a more complete way to light the gauges if you are OK with having the tail lights and such lit all the time.

Front-End Electronics > Coding value--Exterior lighting--Exterior lights, DD lights with marker light = Yes

·
Registered
2018 Cayman 2.0
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Disable seatbelt warnings. No seatbelt chimes on startup, and no lights in the gauge.

Instrument Cluster > Coding Value Driver Seatbelt Warning = No
Instrument Cluster > Coding Value PassengerSeatbelt Warning = No
Instrument Cluster > Coding Value USA Seatbelt Warning = No
Instrument Cluster > Coding Value Acoustic Seatbelt Warning (not USA, not Canada) = No

·
Registered
2018 718 CS
190 Posts
I didn't disable A-S/S, I just changed the config so that the car remembers the state of the A-S/S button on start up. So I have A-S/S turned off now, and the car starts up with it already off. I don't have to remember to hit the button every time I get in the car. The setting apparently only remembers the A-S/S and PASM button states. PSE, PSM, etc. are not remembered.

AIR CONDITIONING> Default Driving State Coding Value = Last Mode
AIR CONDITIONING> Default Driving State Coding Value Last Mode = Yes
Really? Auto start/stop last state is coded in Air Conditioning module? I never would‘ve guess that…. That is precisely what I want. I’ll try it tomorrow.

·
Registered
2018 718 CS
190 Posts
The quoted change works well, but doesn't illuminate the gauge needles, just the backlit numbers and such. An alternative is to enable what is sometimes called "Scandinavian DRLS" which basically adds all the exterior position lights when the ignition is on—front parking lights, side markers, tail and license lights. It also lights up the gauges, including the needles. So this is a more complete way to light the gauges if you are OK with having the tail lights and such lit all the time.

Front-End Electronics > Exterior lighting > DRL with marker light = Yes
Yes, I tried that in the Macan. As a matter of fact that was our first discovery. But didn’t like the fact that it illuminates all the markers, front and rear. So, decided to keep researching and found that activating configuration of white dials provided desired effect. I don’t mind having the indicator off, as I can see that. Is just the numbers are difficult to read.

·
Registered
2018 718 CS
190 Posts
Yup, you do need to proceed with care, and only make one change at a time. And take good notes. I've already caused one head-scratcher - I'm not sure where or how I disabled the front side marker function. They no longer come on as position lights, but they still blink with signals or hazards. I'd didn't make good note of what I did as I didn't notice when that behavior changed. I'll need to spend a little more time tracking it down.
Look in Front-End Electronics, then Coding, and do a search for SML or side marker. Whatever you deactivated should be there.

·
Registered
2018 718 CS
190 Posts

AIR CONDITIONING> Default Driving State Coding Value = Last Mode
AIR CONDITIONING> Default Driving State Coding Value Last Mode = Yes
@Arne you are a frigging genius. I had been looking for a way to have auto start/stop remember last state and couldn’t find it. I was making my peace with disabling it, but I could not do that with Launch at gateway/instrument cluster level.

But this worked. It does remember last state. And the Air Conditioning module is the last place I would’ve look at. This is a great find!

The actual coding sequence is:

Air Conditioning: Coding Value: Coding Value-Default driving state coding value = Last Mode {Default is Eco ON, but you have the option to select Eco OFF so that it always go to Off mode when you turn car on, but you’ll have to turn last mode off by setting it to NO, code below…}

Air Conditioning: Coding Value: Coding Value-Default driving state coding value Last Mode = YES {default is NO}

Again, great find!

·
Registered
2018 718 CS
190 Posts
Coolant Temperature Characteristic Curve
I have modified the coolant temperature characteristic curve in my Macan a few months back maybe a year ago), and just did it in my Cayman as well. It is interesting how Porsche is modifying the actual values you see, probably to decrease variability in the display and avoid having unnecessary calls from customers that don’t know what’s going on. But I have to think that for a 718 or 911, having modified display temp values is completely unnecessary. I wasn’t surprised to see this in my Macan, fine, I just modified it.

The location for the characteristic curve values is here…

Instrument Cluster: Coolant temperature characteristic curve

You will see all real and displayed values (8 for each). See table below (in C):

Font Number Pattern Circle Rectangle

I plotted this table, shown below, so that you can see the behavior.
Slope Rectangle Plot Parallel Font

If you follow the green line (displayed values in cluster), there is a long period of time where you will see a constant temperature, when in reality the temperature is higher. Then, once out of that range, it will shoot up really quick to catch up with real temperature value (blue line)… that may not give much response time if your car is overheating. That orange zone is what you would need to pay attention to.

This curve was designed for the temperature to remain steady during normal operation mode, but it will in fact introduce hysteresis in the values you are seeing.

Displaying actual temperature values makes common sense.

To display actual values in the instrument cluster, copy the respective X value into the Y value.

I recommend you write down all values first (so that you can have them as backup), then change all Y values.

I also changed the bargraph range to display the full temperature range starting at 36C… default is 60C.

Code:
Instrument cluster: Bargraph settings: Bargraph settings-coolant temperature bargraph start = 36 {default = 60}

·
Registered
2018 Cayman 2.0
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@Arne you are a frigging genius. I had been looking for a way to have auto start/stop remember last state and couldn’t find it. I was making my peace with disabling it, but I could not do that with Launch at gateway/instrument cluster level.
Thanks, but I have to admit that I found that solution somewhere else. I've spent a fair amount of time on several Porsche forums reading all the coding threads on various models for clues on this stuff. I think this one came from a GT4 coding thread, where it was dismissed as not terribly useful since the setting only remembers the A-S/S and PASM buttons, but not PSE, PSM, etc. Since my CB doesn't have PSE, SC or the like, I immediately added this to my plans. It's a great addition, even if fairly limited in scope.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Thanks, this is amazing stuff. Is it possible this tool can be used to permit convertible top control using the key fob?

Reactions: KeinPDK

·
Registered
2018 Cayman S
241 Posts

Is this the Launch model that you bought?
$719 seems like a really good price.
thanks

·
Registered
2018 718 CS
190 Posts
Thanks, but I have to admit that I found that solution somewhere else. I've spent a fair amount of time on several Porsche forums reading all the coding threads on various models for clues on this stuff. I think this one came from a GT4 coding thread, where it was dismissed as not terribly useful since the setting only remembers the A-S/S and PASM buttons, but not PSE, PSM, etc. Since my CB doesn't have PSE, SC or the like, I immediately added this to my plans. It's a great addition, even if fairly limited in scope.
It does remember the spoiler position… I ended up changing setting to ECO OFF, and the code for last mode to NO. That way Auto Start Stop always default to off regardless of prior state. Because it doesn’t remember PSE, I rather have Last Mode off and ECO Off.

Thanks anyway. You are still a genius in my eyes… :)

·
Registered
2018 718 CS
190 Posts
Is this the Launch model that you bought?
$719 seems like a really good price.
thanks
Check that it has ability for ECU coding… if it does, you are fine.

·
Registered
2018 718 CS
190 Posts
Thanks, this is amazing stuff. Is it possible this tool can be used to permit convertible top control using the key fob?
I know I can use key fob control to close and open sunroof on my Macan… but not sure about the Boxster top.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts