Porsche 718 Forum banner
81 - 100 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Cayman S
241 Posts
I am not sure, but the Init Value may be the initial value of the speed that's needed to be obtained to turn it off after being activated. The first line of code may be the state it's always in until put into reverse. I'll check my car when I get the chance to see what parameters are in those fields then I'll also see what speed is needed to be obtained to turn it off. I'll also verify what I said earlier about pushing any of the buttons on the PCM to defeat the camera on state.
I sent an email to Launch about that. They said the X431's response is exactly the same as the "Factory" system (I assume PIWIS) and Porsche probably won't let you change it. I don't know if I believe that but there is nothing I can do other than live with it.

As a side note, one reason I bought the X431 is my late model Toyota Highlander was recently rear-ended and a parking sensor damaged. The "approved" shop wants $820 for vehicle diagnostics/turning off the sensor fault. I could not believe it but that is what they charge for driving it to Toyota and having Toyota turn off the fault. I am going to another shop that said if I want to drive it to Toyota and have them turn it off they would give me the $820. The X431 was less than that on Amazon so I bought it. But it does not find the sensor fault. So the X431 might be going back.

Reactions: GTS18BGTS

·
Registered
78 Posts
Any chance you can disable the aural warning from the proximity sensors?
To me, this is the most annoying thing about this car.
Just to back out of my garage or turn back into it, it is a burst of, "Bing-bing-bing, bong-bong-bong-bong-bong, bing-bing...."

I hate it.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Thanks for posting the info about the X431 - looks like another tool I'll be getting

between the oil change reset as well as having the cluster gauge lighting (getting Guards Red gauges and SC in GR as well)

·
Registered
2018 718 CS
180 Posts
Whaaaaat? Overhead? Please do tell me more...I am not sure what you mean here.
If I could disable that darn system it would make my day!
Reading your post more closely, you are asking only about the aural warning, but it seems you still want to see the actual warning in the screen? The overhead button deactivates the whole proximity radar system (aural and visual).

Automotive mirror Automotive design Plant Automotive exterior Automotive lighting

·
Premium Member
2,083 Posts
Reading your post more closely, you are asking only about the aural warning, but it seems you still want to see the actual warning in the screen? The overhead button deactivates the whole proximity radar system (aural and visual).

View attachment 46884
It will disable them and keep them disabled until the next time the car is started. Sounds like Mr. Mitchell wants them off permanently so he doesn't get them when backing out of his garage after starting up the car. ;) I personally don't mind them and I also think the chime sound can be lowered in the menu settings. Though not positive on this.

·
Premium Member
2,083 Posts
I sent an email to Launch about that. They said the X431's response is exactly the same as the "Factory" system (I assume PIWIS) and Porsche probably won't let you change it. I don't know if I believe that but there is nothing I can do other than live with it.

As a side note, one reason I bought the X431 is my late model Toyota Highlander was recently rear-ended and a parking sensor damaged. The "approved" shop wants $820 for vehicle diagnostics/turning off the sensor fault. I could not believe it but that is what they charge for driving it to Toyota and having Toyota turn off the fault. I am going to another shop that said if I want to drive it to Toyota and have them turn it off they would give me the $820. The X431 was less than that on Amazon so I bought it. But it does not find the sensor fault. So the X431 might be going back.
My unit is down in the garage, so can't check it atm, but there are "software modules" that can be purchased to add other features. IDK if there's one for your Toyota proximity sensors. You access those thru the mall. The link for that is in the program.

I actually like that this thing also acts as a handheld computer allowing access to the net. If you have a code you can click on a button below the code and it will perform a search on the net. The results are SOMETIMES helpful lol

·
Registered
78 Posts

Sheesh...I am seriously going to embarrass myself just now:
I never noticed that button was even there, let alone known what its function is. AND, I reach up there all the time to hit the garage door button.

I was literally thinking (as I walked over to the car to check), "His car must have something that mine doesn't..."

Unreal. You probably wouldn't believe that I fly airplanes for a living.

I feel so stupid...

View attachment 46884

·
Registered
2018 718 CS
180 Posts
Sheesh...I am seriously going to embarrass myself just now:
I never noticed that button was even there, let alone known what its function is. AND, I reach up there all the time to hit the garage door button.

I was literally thinking (as I walked over to the car to check), "His car must have something that mine doesn't..."

Unreal. You probably wouldn't believe that I fly airplanes for a living.

I feel so stupid...
No worries. If it is any consolation, it happens to me all the time. Having owned my Macan for 7 years, I’m very familiar with that button. Also, one of the reasons these forums exists… no stupid questions here…☺

·
Premium Member
2,083 Posts
I took my first plunge into "coding" some changes. I did the teardrop wipe, comfort entry seat parameter and the spoiler deploy speed. Have any of you discovered how to enable the LED on the center console to illuminate when the spoiler is deployed automatically when driving?

I also noticed some differences in the menu options compared to what you both have been displaying in your posts when trying to locate component parameters. Not sure if it's just me not reading things correctly, a difference in software versions or something else. I'll have to get back to my car and garage to be more specific. That's for later :)

·
Registered
2018 Cayman 2.0
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 · (Edited)
Have any of you discovered how to enable the LED on the center console to illuminate when the spoiler is deployed automatically when driving?
I found a parameter that appears as if it might address this, but I haven't had a chance to test it yet. Will report back on this one later.

I also noticed some differences in the menu options compared to what you both have been displaying in your posts when trying to locate component parameters. Not sure if it's just me not reading things correctly, a difference in software versions or something else. I'll have to get back to my car and garage to be more specific. That's for later :)
I've seen those wording differences myself. I suspect that different software versions may have different translations from the original German. The main X-431 app on mine is v7.00.009, and the Porsche package is v23.99.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've joined the Launch party. Took a look at the airbag options as I am putting in a seat that doesn't have a built in occupancy sensor and it appears I can defeat that, as long as the code will save.

·
Premium Member
2,083 Posts
I've made a few parameter changes using the Launch, but what's made the price of entry totally worth it is changing the seat comfort entry and exit memory setting to extend the seat farther back when exiting the car. I set it at 45mm (1 3/4") vs 1". I did this to both cars and man it makes getting in and out some much nicer. No need to pull may knee up to my armpit to get my foot over the sill when getting out. Should save some wear and tear on the seat bolsters too. I can also get in the car the way Motorman does - plopping my butt down and then swiveling in. :cool: More leg room to do that because the seat is father back.

·
Registered
2018 718 CS
180 Posts
I've made a few parameter changes using the Launch, but what's made the price of entry totally worth it is changing the seat comfort entry and exit memory setting to extend the seat farther back when exiting the car. I set it at 45mm (1 3/4") vs 1". I did this to both cars and man it makes getting in and out some much nicer. No need to pull may knee up to my armpit to get my foot over the sill when getting out. Should save some wear and tear on the seat bolsters too. I can also get in the car the way Motorman does - plopping my butt down and then swiveling in. :cool: More leg room to do that because the seat is father back.
Exactly why I think is a worthy investment. It allows you to experiment and make the car better for you… for example, from ergonomics perspective, like it did for you.

BTW… I’ll be testing with different entry/drive options to see what setting is better for me. Thanks for bringing your experience.

·
Registered
2018 Cayman 2.0
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 · (Edited)
Have any of you discovered how to enable the LED on the center console to illuminate when the spoiler is deployed automatically when driving?
I found a parameter that appears as if it might address this, but I haven't had a chance to test it yet. Will report back on this one later.
Just circling back on this one. What I tried so far has not worked. Still looking.

·
Registered
2018 Cayman 2.0
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
Has anyone found a setting to change the Auto Headlight sensitivity? I'd like the lights to wait until it is a bit darker before coming on.

·
Registered
2018 718 CS
180 Posts
Has anyone found a setting to change the Auto Headlight sensitivity? I'd like the lights to wait until it is a bit darker before coming on.
I have tried to find the code to do this…. There is a code that I thought modified the “sun sensor” parameter (the sun sensor in in the dashboard and measures light intensity to turn on headlights)

Front-End Electronics : Exterior Light Parameter : Light Limit

I tested this extensively in my Macan, changing the light limit to from 12.5 to 7.5 W/m^2 didn't seem to have any effect. I changed it to 5.0 W/m^2 to see if that has any effect (with 3.4 W/m^2 being dark limit in theory). Again, my objective was to alter the auto-on feature of the automatic headlight so that is not as sensitive and can turn on my headlights in darker setting.

My headlights kept turning on automatically with plenty of light. It would only turn off automatically when there is direct sunlight.

I have not found any other parameter that would read light intensity (or more technically, solar irradiance). Maybe this is not the right parameter or the parameter needs to be modified another way (maybe with an offset). I have not tested this in the Cayman.

·
Registered
2018 718 CS
180 Posts
Performance Display Activation

CODING:
Instrument Cluster: Board computer display configuration key 1_1: BC Configuration byte 13-Performance Display = Active

Instrument Cluster: Board computer display configuration key 1_1: BC Configuration byte 22-BC Role Performance Display

This will display performance graph in the instrument cluster (Torque or Performance). Something similar to photo below….

Speedometer Gauge Measuring instrument Automotive design Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2017 Sapphire Blue Cayman S
58 Posts
I'm very interested in the ability to code the water temp gauge to read in an accurate number
Coolant Temperature Characteristic Curve
I have modified the coolant temperature characteristic curve in my Macan a few months back maybe a year ago), and just did it in my Cayman as well. It is interesting how Porsche is modifying the actual values you see, probably to decrease variability in the display and avoid having unnecessary calls from customers that don’t know what’s going on. But I have to think that for a 718 or 911, having modified display temp values is completely unnecessary. I wasn’t surprised to see this in my Macan, fine, I just modified it.

The location for the characteristic curve values is here…

Instrument Cluster: Coolant temperature characteristic curve

You will see all real and displayed values (8 for each). See table below (in C):

View attachment 46604

I plotted this table, shown below, so that you can see the behavior.
View attachment 46606
If you follow the green line (displayed values in cluster), there is a long period of time where you will see a constant temperature, when in reality the temperature is higher. Then, once out of that range, it will shoot up really quick to catch up with real temperature value (blue line)… that may not give much response time if your car is overheating. That orange zone is what you would need to pay attention to.

This curve was designed for the temperature to remain steady during normal operation mode, but it will in fact introduce hysteresis in the values you are seeing.

Displaying actual temperature values makes common sense.

To display actual values in the instrument cluster, copy the respective X value into the Y value.

I recommend you write down all values first (so that you can have them as backup), then change all Y values.

I also changed the bargraph range to display the full temperature range starting at 36C… default is 60C.

Code:
Instrument cluster: Bargraph settings: Bargraph settings-coolant temperature bargraph start = 36 {default = 60}
I've searched high and low for something like this. It's so infuriating to see the temp gauge read perfectly till it levels out and then it acts like it's exactly the same temp from then on.
Any way to do this in degrees F instead of C? Also, is the unit to do the coding really $1000+? That seems....extreme.

81 - 100 of 119 Posts