Porsche 718 Forum banner
101 - 119 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
2018 718 CS
180 Posts
I'm very interested in the ability to code the water temp gauge to read in an accurate number

I've searched high and low for something like this. It's so infuriating to see the temp gauge read perfectly till it levels out and then it acts like it's exactly the same temp from then on.
Any way to do this in degrees F instead of C? Also, is the unit to do the coding really $1000+? That seems....extreme.
The coding is done in C. But if your unit of display in the cluster is in F, it will show in F. The native configuration is in C, I guess.

My unit of display is in F, so I do see it in F.

As far as X431, do a search in Amazon. You should be able to find one for about $800, sometimes they do promos. Yes, they are expensive though.

·
Registered
2018 Cayman 2.0
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
Ask around in your area, and if you are a PCA member, ask other members. Many of us who do have one of these devices will happily do some code editing for others, either free, or maybe with the donation of a few bottles of good craft brew. If you were in Oregon, I'd be happy to help you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was documenting my coding changes in my own log (My 2018 Cayman Mod Log), but figure this would be a better place to consolidate all cdoing changes…

All my coding mods/changes will be listed here:

Using my Launch X431 PRO 3S+ V2.0

1. Activated 4-point LED ON while headlights ON (normally 4-point LED turn off when headlight turns on).

Coding:
Rear-End Electronics: Codiertabelle: Exterior Lighting: Exterios Lights, DD as a marker light = YES

Rear End Electronics: Exterior Lights Parameters: Dimming value for DD lights as marker light = 100

This in essence makes the 4-point daylight driving light a marker light when headlights are on. It retains the daylight driving function when headlights are off.

View attachment 46598

2. Activated window open/close with comfort function
https://flic.kr/p/2nFZx8h
CODING:
Front End Electronics: Coding: Coding_0: Coding-Comfort functions-Window Comfort Opening = YES

Front End Electronics: Coding: Coding_0: Coding-Comfort functions-Window Comfort Closing = YES

3. Changed turn signal "One-Touch flashing Cycle" from 3 to 5

CODING:
Front End Electronics: Coding: Coding_0: Exterior Lights Parameters-One touch flashing cycles = {whatever number of flashing cycles you prefer}

4. Activated Wiper Tear Drop function.
This function activates an additional pass of the wiper a few seconds after washer is activated and normal wiper mode is finished.

CODING:
Front End Electronics: WWS Coding: WWS Coding-Teardrop function active = YES

5. Enabled illumination on RPM gauge and Speedometer with headlights off (Another member in MacanForum and I did a lot of research to figure this one out, and you can even find threads here in the 718forum making reference to our discovery in the Macan Forum). You can turn on only the central RPM dial or both speedometer and RPM gauges.

CODING:
Instrument Cluster: Dimming-general configuration: Configuration-all dials white = YES

Instrument Cluster: Dimming-general configuration: Configuration-central dial white = YES

6. Emergency Brake Display (EBD) Activation: This code enables emergency brake display, when braking hard (which is a modifiable acceleration parameter), your brake lights will flash to catch attention of drivers behind you…. In the video I show this feature in my Macan…

https://flic.kr/p/2ng4pY2
CODING:
Rear-End Electronics: Coding Value (or Codiertabelle): Exterior Lighting: Exterior Lights, emergency brake display function available = YES

Rear-End Electronics: EBD Parameter: Speed brake light flashing On = 3 {whatever speed you want emergency brake to start activating, default is 70km/h, but I set it up at any speed above 3 km/h… once car reaches 3 km/h, if I brake hard, it will activate}

Rear-End Electronics: EBD Parameter: Decceleration brake light flashing On = 0.45 {whatever deceleration value you choose… through experimentation, I found that setting this value to 0.45g is appropriate}

Reae-End Electronics: EBD Parameter: Decceleration brake light flashing Off = 0.35 {whatever deceleration value you choose… through experimentation, I found that setting this value to 0.35g is appropriate}

Rear-End Electronics: EBD Parameter: Brake light flashing run-on time = 1 {this is the amount of flashing time… through experimentation found that 1 second is enough, otherwise you could stop at a light and the lights could still be flashing (while you are stopped)}

Other parameters within EBD parameters can change the rate of flashing. I left those unchanged, as I found the original setting to be OK.

7. Changing Sound Symposer (Soundaktor) sound loudness: This will change the loudness (volume) of the soundaktor, which is a device that produce artificial engine sound to ”enhance“ engine sound in the cabin.

CODING:
Sound Symposer: Loudness_actuator_for_structure_borne_sound = 0 {you can set this to any value between 0 to 100%. Original setting is 100%. I set this value to 0%, as the reality is that the engine sounds much better without artificial enhancement}
I'm interested in replicating what you coded on your 718 on my own 718. I am looking to purchase an x431 myself but there are so many different models I want to make sure I get the correct one. Is your x431 pro3s+ v2 the one with HDIII? (I.e. is your obd connector black color or a larger blue module?)

·
Registered
2018 Cayman 2.0
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
I'm interested in replicating what you coded on your 718 on my own 718. I am looking to purchase an x431 myself but there are so many different models I want to make sure I get the correct one. Is your x431 pro3s+ v2 the one with HDIII? (I.e. is your obd connector black color or a larger blue module?)
Mine is the black ODB connector.

·
Registered
2018 718 CS
180 Posts
Same here. Black.

That is the model I have…. But there are other models that are more affordable like the one @Arne has. I bought mine deeply discounted, they were running a promotion. But I think is over $1000 now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same here. Black.

That is the model I have…. But there are other models that are more affordable like the one @Arne has. I bought mine deeply discounted, they were running a promotion. But I think is over $1000 now.
Actually I'm so confused to which model to get...There are so many...Any idea what's the main disadvantage with the pro v4 instead of the pro3s+ v2?

·
Registered
2018 718 CS
180 Posts
Any model with ECU coding capability will work well. The difference is most likely screen size and hardware. They are all Android based tablets. The software is just an app and they are the same. Most likely the difference is that pro3s+ has a 10” screen vs 8” in the V4.

You won’t go wrong with either.

But agree, they make it complicated with so many models.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Any model with ECU coding capability will work well. The difference is most likely screen size and hardware. They are all Android based tablets. The software is just an app and they are the same. Most likely the difference is that pro3s+ has a 10” screen vs 8” in the V4.

You won’t go wrong with either.

But agree, they make it complicated with so many models.
Thanks so much for the clarification!

Actually I saw they now have a new one that uses your phone as the device, in that case that one might work too

·
Registered
686 Posts
When someone works out the cheapest way to do coding on a 718, please update here. Not sure if that is the Luanch app on a phone or something else. I just want to code a few minor things and will never use the device again, so not keen to spend lots of money on it. An app with a BT OBD2 dongle would be great if it is cheap. Even for subscription of an app for a short time.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Ask around in your area, and if you are a PCA member, ask other members. Many of us who do have one of these devices will happily do some code editing for others, either free, or maybe with the donation of a few bottles of good craft brew. If you were in Oregon, I'd be happy to help you.
This is what frustrates me as a PCA member is that communications are all one way from the PCA to me. I have no way of finding local PCA members unless I sign up super quickly for events that fill up way too rapidly and hope to meet the right people at an event. There isn't a way to chat with my local (Golden Gate) PCA members or post a "does anyone have a x431 coding tablet that I could use?". Or am I being stupid and missed something with the PCA?
(sorry for straying off-topic)

·
Premium Member
2,083 Posts
This is what frustrates me as a PCA member is that communications are all one way from the PCA to me. I have no way of finding local PCA members unless I sign up super quickly for events that fill up way too rapidly and hope to meet the right people at an event. There isn't a way to chat with my local (Golden Gate) PCA members or post a "does anyone have a x431 coding tablet that I could use?". Or am I being stupid and missed something with the PCA?
(sorry for straying off-topic)
Are Cars & Coffee or similar events on your PCA calendar? Those are not limited participation events and where you can meet and speak with members intimately.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I never saw an answer for this, but does anyone know if you can change the setting for the convertible top? In the US you can double press the unlock to retract the top, but the double press lock to close the top is disabled (unlike in Europe spec cars).

101 - 119 of 119 Posts