Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

New to forum (generally lurk on 911 forums) but wanted to canvas experience given a recent issue on a friends 718.

Has anyone heard of or experienced a crankshaft seizing on a 718? My friends 718 recently failed MOT (whilst also in for a service) on emissions. It’s taken Porsche a couple of weeks to diagnose and have advised that the crankshaft has seized resulting in damage to big ends 2 and 4. New bottom end being installed as a result. Interested in seeing if this is an isolated case. Mileage is low and regularly serviced so suspect its fault in production of the crankshaft.

Thanks,

·
Registered
982 Posts
Not heard of any. Could you find out the build date?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Hi,

New to forum (generally lurk on 911 forums) but wanted to canvas experience given a recent issue on a friends 718.

Has anyone heard of or experienced a crankshaft seizing on a 718? My friends 718 recently failed MOT (whilst also in for a service) on emissions. It’s taken Porsche a couple of weeks to diagnose and have advised that the crankshaft has seized resulting in damage to big ends 2 and 4. New bottom end being installed as a result. Interested in seeing if this is an isolated case. Mileage is low and regularly serviced so suspect its fault in production of the crankshaft.

Thanks,
Was this covered under warranty mate?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Was this covered under warranty mate?
Yes I believe so but it was on the extended warranty scheme; could have been an interesting conversation if that hadn’t been purchased. Full engine strip, new block and rebuild - he’ll have got multiples of the premium back.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I was talking to an ex Porsche technician the other day and he said in his experience the cars that had the most problems either don’t get driven and/or not hard enough. He said an Italian tune up a couple of times a month is ideal

·
Registered
982 Posts
I think I know and I think I do it! However, I'm going to let someone else spill the beans and then if its correct, I'll claim I knew it all the time!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts