Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi
I am a new owner (UK) recently purchasing a 2018 CGTS and I love it to bits... The forum is great but, I have one niggling question I cannot find any reference to here, or anywhere tbh!

I have noticed that the 2017-2018 versions (which I bought, PDK) has a lower vehicle tax band and lower emission figures than the 2019-2020 models (all being the 2.5 Turbos); more interestingly (to me at least), the 0-62 times are stated as slower in the newer version by 0.2sec (noticed this on Autotrader UK).

Can anyone shed light on the reasons for these differences? was there a minor update, part(s) difference in anyway?

Any help is appreciated as not knowing is driving me mad!!

Many thanks

Ace_age13

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi
I am a new owner (UK) recently purchasing a 2018 CGTS and I love it to bits... The forum is great but, I have one niggling question I cannot find any reference to here, or anywhere tbh!

I have noticed that the 2017-2018 versions (which I bought, PDK) has a lower vehicle tax band and lower emission figures than the 2019-2020 models (all being the 2.5 Turbos); more interestingly (to me at least), the 0-62 times are stated as lower in the newer version by 0.2sec (noticed this on Autotrader UK).

Can anyone shed light on the reasons for these differences? was there a minor update, part(s) difference in anyway?

Any help is appreciated as not knowing is driving me mad!!

Many thanks

Ace_age13
From my understanding GPF (Gas Particulate Filters) were introduced from model year 2019.

My best guess would be that as a result of this the emissions produced by the vehicle have changed which has ultimately resulted in the vehicle being in a different tax band to the pre-GPF vehicles.

The biggest positive of the pre-GPF GTS is the sound and in my view it’s worth the extra tax! :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
To confirm: The lower emissions are in the older version (which seems strange) and the better acceleration is also in the older version!

·
Registered
197 Posts
It may be something to do with the new NEDC ratings. A lot of cars were delayed back in 2018/19 due to the new emissions standards. Also the GPF may have been introduced on cars at that time. .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It may be something to do with the new NEDC ratings. A lot of cars were delayed back in 2018/19 due to the new emissions standards. Also the GPF may have been introduced on cars at that time. .
Thank you for your post, this is really helpful.

So,
Firstly, does that mean that the WLTP, which I believe replaced the NEDC at that time, is the reason for the higher emission figures. Which basically means that the output values haven't changed in real terms only increased the testing parameters which have caused a slightly inflated figure??

Secondly, the introduction of the GPF which was also introduced at the same time (designed to reduce emissions!!) has caused a very minor drop in power??

·
Registered
169 Posts
New car is 4.0l old 2.5T
Apart from the sound (some would say i dont agree) the old car is the better one

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
New car is 4.0l old 2.5T
Apart from the sound (some would say i dont agree) the old car is the better one
No, I'm only discussing the 2.5L versions. comparison between 2017/2018 and 2018/2019/2020. All pre the 4.0L ones.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I specifically bought a pre-gpf 718 GTS Boxster for this very reason.
I know that the GPF can affect performance, have a look at the carwow drag race between a pre-post S3 with GPF.

BTW, there are plenty of videos on YT of the 718 GTS pulling 3.7-3.8 0-62 times, that's fast enough to keep me and my license busy.

·
Registered
160 Posts
To confirm: The lower emissions are in the older version (which seems strange) and the better acceleration is also in the older version!
Possibly GPF introduced additional weight which accounts for slight loss of power and thereby acceleration. Logically therefore more fuel needed to drag this part around so higher CO2 emissions but lower particulate emissions. Particulates are more of an issue apparently as they stay low.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Secondly, the introduction of the GPF which was also introduced at the same time (designed to reduce emissions!!) has caused a very minor drop in power??
Yes, the times changed in line with the WLTP regulations and introduction of the GPF. The effect of the GPF on performance has been noted across multiple manufacturers. so Porsche are not the only ones it affected.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Possibly GPF introduced additional weight which accounts for slight loss of power and thereby acceleration. Logically therefore more fuel needed to drag this part around so higher CO2 emissions but lower particulate emissions. Particulates are more of an issue apparently as they stay low.
I just find it hilarious that the whole idea behind the increased regulation and GPF inclusion was intended to reduce emissions on the whole ..... but, due to the additions, the exact same car/engine/size everything! has actually increased the CO2 Emissions (g/km) from 186 to between 194-209 which has increased the tax bands being J for the 2017-18 versions and K for the rest up to the discontinuation of the model in 2020.

Very interesting about the low vs high particulates though... Let them cough I say! I prefer the small performance gain and cheaper road tax haha!

·
Registered
9 Posts
The gasoline particulate filter naturally add a bit more exhaust restriction. This results in slightly slower boost spool up. If you look at the brochure specs...The pre GPF S and GTS it says peak torque starts from 1900rpm, but the later post GPF cars now states from 2100rpm!

·
Registered
9 Posts
So the slower boost spool up response is why the later cars are a tad slower from a 0-60mph aspect. Once on the move, ie pulling from higher rpm, The difference will be less, if anything you would notice.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Does anyone know off hand if this difference caries over to North American vehicles, or is the 2019 Gas Particulate Filter a European only model addition? wondering how this affects the "tuner" addicts out there who look at changing downpipes and adding "high flow" cats. Cheers, mlp

·
Registered
169 Posts
Does anyone know off hand if this difference caries over to North American vehicles, or is the 2019 Gas Particulate Filter a European only model addition? wondering how this affects the "tuner" addicts out there who look at changing downpipes and adding "high flow" cats. Cheers, mlp
The impact on tuners is zero as an aftermarket exhaust down pipe is fitted and any CEL lights triggered can be turned off permanently by the tune in the remap

1 - 20 of 22 Posts