Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6-speed
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for anyone that's actually done an oil change themselves on a 718 GTS 4.0 (or GT4 / Spyder). Would appreciate comments as to how you did it - easy, medium, hard process - any insights/warnings, etc.?

I know there are a few DIY videos out there which I will rewatch. I just want to hear from real forum members that have actually done it. I did 13 DIY oil changes in my previous 2014 Cayman S using Rhino ramps to raise the rear wheels and hydraulic jack / jack stands to raise the front of the car to level. But the 981 had no underbody panels / diffusers that had to be removed. The GTS has multiple panels with upwards of 30-40 screws. Also, given that the GTS with SPASM is slightly lower than my former PASM 918, it looks like the Rhino Ramps that only raise the wheels 6" may not be enough to avoid a claustrophobic attack. Any suggestions on ramps or other means to raise the car 10-12" without killing myself?

·
Registered
Flat-6 Silver Sled
135 Posts
Haven't done the oil change yet, but had it up on quickjacks when I installed the headers. I would HIGHLY recommend getting a set of quickjacks for all your DIY needs. Super easy to get the car up in the air with enough room to do most work. I would also recommend getting the Porsche lifting pucks. I got mine from the Radiator Grill Store. They are good enough and work very well with the quickjack. There are a couple specialty tools you'll need, but other that that getting the **** belly panels off is the hardest part. A little bit of up/down drill with the quickjack and they're off.

Bottom line, get a quickjack. I got mine from Costco last year for about $1.5k and it is by far one of the best investments I've made for garage equipment.

I'll be doing my oil change in the upcoming months and will take some pics/video for any additional inputs that may be helpful.

Cheers, G

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haven't done the oil change yet, but had it up on quickjacks when I installed the headers. I would HIGHLY recommend getting a set of quickjacks for all your DIY needs. Super easy to get the car up in the air with enough room to do most work. I would also recommend getting the Porsche lifting pucks. I got mine from the Radiator Grill Store. They are good enough and work very well with the quickjack. There are a couple specialty tools you'll need, but other that that getting the **** belly panels off is the hardest part. A little bit of up/down drill with the quickjack and they're off.

Bottom line, get a quickjack. I got mine from Costco last year for about $1.5k and it is by far one of the best investments I've made for garage equipment.

I'll be doing my oil change in the upcoming months and will take some pics/video for any additional inputs that may be helpful.

Cheers, G
Thanks for the quickjack suggestion, I'll look into it further. However, at least one of the DIY videos I watched showed that "little bit of up/down" drill with the quick jack to remove the underbody panels (due to the lift itself blocking the screws). It looked a bit frustrating. I'm thinking if I could just raise the car 10-12" on ramps - i.e. the rear wheels and front jack points are contact points (without blocking access to screws), it would be easier and offer a little more breathing room than my 6" ramps. Thinking something like this:
Font Musical instrument accessory Rectangle Logo Magenta

PS the quickjacks are definitely great for other services, like wheel removal, etc., but I don't really do that type of work. I'm just looking at 2 oil changes a year for under $100 in parts vs. $500-650 at the dealer (plus the time waiting at the dealer)

·
Registered
71 Posts
I did my first oil change on my '22 CGTS a little over a month ago. It wasn't bad at all! I used the 10" tall Race Ramps like the ones shown above combined with a set of their 10" 2-piece "Wheel Cribs." To be honest, I dislike the process of driving up those ramps because I'm terrified of over-shooting and having the car fall off the other side, and/or destroying the clutch while slipping my way up slowly (my Cayman is a PDK, so that latter note applies to my other cars with manual transmissions). But I've been using the Race Ramps for 12+ years now without any issues. If you are looking for a space-saving option you could just purchase two sets of the 2-piece 10" Race Cribs, and jack each side of the car high enough to slide the 5" crib in place, and then finally to 10" height. These cars are SO STIFF ("that's what she said!") that a jack at the rear will also raise the front of the car on that same side.

Here are my notes from the change:
  • Only need to remove 3rd underbody engine cover from “Underbody Panel Removal Order for 718 GT4 Oil Changes.png” image. Panels 1 & 2 are not present on the GTS 4.0 cars.
  • Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

• You'll need T25 torx for underbody, plus 10mm for plastic nuts and semi-hidden bolts
  • I also removed two additional torx screw from the underbody panel just forward of panel 3, just to make it easier to drop panel 3.
  • Oil filter wrench for 4.0 liter cars: Hazet 2169 Filter Wrench for 981/718 is 74.4mm (ordered mine from Pelican Parts)
  • See the “Porsche 718 GT4 / Spyder / GTS Oil Change | Everything You Need to Know!” video for the location of the four (4) semi-hidden 10mm bolts (at 9:18).
  • Take an oil sample after flow has slowed towards end of drain cycle…it runs out for a long time so there is plenty of time to catch a full bottle
  • Don’t over-torque plastic drain plug; it doesn’t take a lot of force to lock it in place (line up arrows and it’s closed)
  • Oil filter drops straight down, a bit messy but straightforward. I had read that it was a challenge to change the filter on 718's with PDK (like my car), but I think all those thread refer to the 4 cylinder cars, and not the 4.0 cars.
  • Use small oil drain pan to catch spills from oil filter removal. Not a lot spills, but you do have to tip the filter slightly to one side to clear the brace.
  • Oil filter torque is marked directly on the filter cover (25Nm or 18 ft-lbs)
  • Be sure to wipe crossmembers below oil filter after new filter is installed (oil is there but hidden)
  • Fill with 8 quarts to start; probably will need another 0.3 quart to get to middle level
  • I struggled to get an oil reading after the change. This worked for me: 1. Drive the car until everything is up to temperature. 2. Turn off car but do not open front or rear trunk. 3. Wait 5-10 minutes. 4. Turn on engine and let it idle for 5 minutes. 5. Get oil reading!
  • Another option (this worked as well): just start car up in garage, let idle for 10-15 minutes.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did my first oil change on my '22 CGTS a little over a month ago. It wasn't bad at all! I used the 10" tall Race Ramps like the ones shown above combined with a set of their 10" 2-piece "Wheel Cribs." To be honest, I dislike the process of driving up those ramps because I'm terrified of over-shooting and having the car fall off the other side, and/or destroying the clutch while slipping my way up slowly (my Cayman is a PDK, so that latter note applies to my other cars with manual transmissions). But I've been using the Race Ramps for 12+ years now without any issues. If you are looking for a space-saving option you could just purchase two sets of the 2-piece 10" Race Cribs, and jack each side of the car high enough to slide the 5" crib in place, and then finally to 10" height. These cars are SO STIFF ("that's what she said!") that a jack at the rear will also raise the front of the car on that same side.

Here are my notes from the change:
  • Only need to remove 3rd underbody engine cover from “Underbody Panel Removal Order for 718 GT4 Oil Changes.png” image. Panels 1 & 2 are not present on the GTS 4.0 cars.
  • View attachment 44426
  • You'll need T25 torx for underbody, plus 10mm for plastic nuts and semi-hidden bolts
  • I also removed two additional torx screw from the underbody panel just forward of panel 3, just to make it easier to drop panel 3.
  • Oil filter wrench for 4.0 liter cars: Hazet 2169 Filter Wrench for 981/718 is 74.4mm (ordered mine from Pelican Parts)
  • See the “Porsche 718 GT4 / Spyder / GTS Oil Change | Everything You Need to Know!” video for the location of the four (4) semi-hidden 10mm bolts (at 9:18).
  • Take an oil sample after flow has slowed towards end of drain cycle…it runs out for a long time so there is plenty of time to catch a full bottle
  • Don’t over-torque plastic drain plug; it doesn’t take a lot of force to lock it in place (line up arrows and it’s closed)
  • Oil filter drops straight down, a bit messy but straightforward. I had read that it was a challenge to change the filter on 718's with PDK (like my car), but I think all those thread refer to the 4 cylinder cars, and not the 4.0 cars.
  • Use small oil drain pan to catch spills from oil filter removal. Not a lot spills, but you do have to tip the filter slightly to one side to clear the brace.
  • Oil filter torque is marked directly on the filter cover (25Nm or 18 ft-lbs)
  • Be sure to wipe crossmembers below oil filter after new filter is installed (oil is there but hidden)
  • Fill with 8 quarts to start; probably will need another 0.3 quart to get to middle level
  • I struggled to get an oil reading after the change. This worked for me: 1. Drive the car until everything is up to temperature. 2. Turn off car but do not open front or rear trunk. 3. Wait 5-10 minutes. 4. Turn on engine and let it idle for 5 minutes. 5. Get oil reading!
  • Another option (this worked as well): just start car up in garage, let idle for 10-15 minutes.
Thanks for the great detailed explanation, and glad to hear that the Race Ramps worked for you.

BTW, I've never had an issue (or fear) of backing up my previous manual transmission Cayman S on the lower 6" Rhino Ramps. Feathered the clutch a bit, and gently went up until I felt the wheel touch the stop But a friend tried to use them for his PDK and when I told him to "give it a little gas", he completely overshot the ramps and crashed down on the other side. We had a fun time jacking up the car to get the ramps out from under it.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
once my CGTS eventually gets built and delivered, I'll post images - I have both a 2 post and 4 post lift at home and will service my car myself

the tricky part from what I've read is there's fasteners near the rear lift point that might be easier to remove prior to using the lift

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Mobil 1 0w40 ESP X3 (C40) from AutoZone - Use discount code DEAL4AUG

I just ordered 8 quarts of Mobil 1 0w40 ESP X3 oil from AutoZone for home delivery next week for $9.99 per quart, but by buying another $20.08 worth of qualifying purchases ($100 minimum purchase), got 20% off the entire order using the discount code above. That's the equivalent of $8 per quart pre-sales tax. Unfortunately 8 quarts is the max you can order for home delivery, or I would have just ordered 11 quarts to hit the $100 minimum. But my daughter's car needs new wiper blades and they qualified.

Interestingly, the single quarts of of the 0w40 Mobile 1 ESP X3 was the only oil I found that qualified for the discount. When I tried to add single quarts or 5 quart jugs of Mobil 1 0w20 for our Honda it came back "does not qualify for promotion".

I'm hoping that when the oil arrives on August 25 it really is the correct, Porsche C40 designated oil.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Just tried to order 8 quarts from AutoZone, but it maxed me out at 3 :rolleyes:.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts