Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2017 718 Boxster, 2007 Cayman
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boss finally got his new 911 4s Targa this week and he has been so happy. I was happy for him also. I was excited to go for a ride in in his new 992. Firstly I have to say I love all 911's but never owned one. I loved all the new upgrades to the 992. But I was surprised, that it was not better than my 718 Boxster. I noticed that it did not feel larger inside, it was not smoother and did not feel softer over bumps. When I got in my 718 on the way home, it hit me just how good the 718 really is, it felt just as smooth, just as tight and refined as the brand new 911. When I got out to get gas, the compliments never stop from other drivers. The new design of the 718 has moved away from startup Porsche to super car looks. Its a striking design from all angles. With the lack of advertising by Porsche due to the 911 legend and the new Taycan EV stirring things up, we definitely are driving Porsche's best kept secret, probably best sports car in the world.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Porsche Cayman has been my dream car ever since it first came out in 2006. The main reason for my love of the Cayman is really the handling and driving experience. I would rarely track any car so the everyday experience matters more than top speed. However, many folks started giving the Cayman the reputation of poor man's 911. That is absolutely absurd on multiple levels. First, it is a different vehicle than 911 and second, it is far from being a cheap vehicle.

Anyway, I have never paid attention to those reviews or comments. This year, I have finally placed an order for 718 Cayman GTS 4.0. Can't wait to get the car sometime in August :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have had many 911s and got the 718 because I wanted a mid-engined sports car with a manual transmission. The 992 is not a sports car anymore. It is an awesome car. Other most think so too because I got stop by people all the time telling me how much they love the car.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had this craving for a 911, so when i bought my 987 Cayman it was a step towards a 911 and then my 981 was the next step but when I drove home the 718, the craving for a 911 ended. It was remarkable that something you want so much can end with a drive of the perfect car. You cant control cravings so to have it completely go away is a testament to one drive in the 718. Now the only thoughts are which 718 model, which engine, which color etc... is all that matters. Any other car is a step back.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I've also driven them back to back. The 992 is way too big for my taste. It doesn't feel as tight to me but I'm far from an expert driver.
A 718 combined with a PDK is the dream combination for me. Small, mid-engine and a gearbox nothing can keep up with.
(I've driven manual cars all my life. Been there, done that!)

·
Registered
40 Posts
I participated in a track day last week with my 718 boxster base. Ranked better than many 911s... seemed that I was driving on rails.

This video is a great comparision on 718 and 911. Hard to buy a 911 after watching it.

But craving is craving
:giggle:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Love my 718, no regrets.
But if i had to pick one 911 model it would be the Targa. More of a cruiser with top down. 718 is for serious driving

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They have to stop putting on weight on these Porsches. My 987 Cayman weighs just under 2900 lbs, the new Targa is almost 3700 lbs. That's like putting my Harley Ultra Classic in the trunk and going for a drive. Put them on a diet.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I love the 992 and had some good seat time in one at PEC Atlanta recently. Its without a doubt more powerful, more luxurious, and roomier than the 718. That said, the price difference is hard to justify as the 992 is considerably more expensive than the 718 when comparing comparable trims. Is a 911 $50k+ better than a 718? Tough argument there. But then again, we are talking about cars that most people only dream of so price/value generally goes out the window and emotion takes over.

·
Registered
177 Posts
As in any forum and any thread there will always be confirmation bias and the same but opposite discussions go on in the 992 and 991 forums.
I am one who has made the switch from 718 to 992 and am happy with my decision but let me say there is NO bad Porsche Sports car. They are both phenomenal platforms and both bring a lot to the table and in reality there are not huge differences in the cars but overall I do prefer the 992.

Practicality actually ironically puts the 718 in the lead. The 992 might have 4 seats but unless you have two toddlers the seats are not usable for anything other than a quick high school drop off or quick run to the local mall. Having a back and front trunk/frunk is far more practical and I would always have people staring at me in amazement as I emptied my Costco cart into a very small car

As far as solid is concerned the 992 is the winner and in a good way. After spending a lot of time back to backing them I always found getting back into the 718 a little tin-ny and not in a good way. It never really bothered me in the 718 but the differences are real and I always feel a little more protected in the 992. Also when it comes to speed I again feel a little safer in the 992. At speed my boxster on parts of the NJ turnpike where wind is an issue always felt if it was about to take off (and not in a good way) my 992 is much more planted.

As far as comfort and amenities is concerned I am easy to please and I always felt comfortable in the Boxster and this has not changed for the 992. The amenities on the 992 are definitely significantly better than the 718 but that is just because Porsche has not updated the 718 and nothing on the 718 is difficult to live with but the 992 systems work really nicely.

As far as agility is concerned for regular and spirited driving I find them very similar and in fact surprisingly similar. There are favorite runs that I did in both with a lot of very twisty roads and for the most part I am always floored by how agile a car the 992 is given its size and for many of the drives I do there is little too no difference in the two cars. Now if I was driving a 9/10 or 10/10 it might be different but at mostly sub license losing speed there is little difference.

Fuel economy on the 4 pot is significantly better than the 6 pot so a win for the 718

Is it worth the extra money for a 992 - hard to say. All of these are lifestyle buys and for many it is a third car and so for the average American where even a Corolla is a stretch none of these make sense. For me there was always a 911 yearn and although I loved my 718 it did not scratch the 911 itch. I love my 992 and the price difference for me is worth it. The 992 holds its value better and especially if you do not load it with options you will get a larger chunk of your money back then you will in a 718 and so after 4 years ownership the lost amount is not that dramatically different.

Is the 718 an amazing bargain - precovid it was and a CPO 718 was the best kept secret. Is this the case right now - not so sure. 718 prices are also ridiculously high and average price on a CPO is up 10K. I was lucky enough to have ordered my 992 when a 7% discount was still possible and traded in my 718 when values had already sky rocketed and so won on both ends.

I went from a Boxster to a coupe and my wife who did not want to interfere with my plans did not voice how disappointed she was to have lost the vert. Had prices not skyrocketed I would by now have bought another Boxster CPO for her and secretly I would have grabbed it on certain days and so my answer to the OP is yes the 718 is an amazing secret but the 992 is an amazing car and each individual should decide for their own which suits their needs and wallet the best but you will be amazed at how well the 992 drives.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
This video is a great comparision on 718 and 911. Hard to buy a 911 after watching it.

But craving is craving
:giggle:
Thanks for the post. It is a nice comparison. (It was interesting, heartening even, to hear him speak about the presence or absence of "animal-derived" materials. Also noteworthy was that he turned off sport exhaust when passing someone with a dog. Very observant and very considerate of him.)

Some of his thoughts were personal preference, of course. Some were driven (no pun intended) by observation. I prefer the 718 styling inside and out, front and rear. I definitely prefer the sporting behavior, but I guess most of us here do because this is a 718 forum, after all. The Boxster engine when not under full power had the same slightly-misfiring sound as my base Cayman, a feature of the L-L-R-R firing order required on a flat four. Of course a NA6 will have a higher pitch; with 50% more cylinders the fundamental pitch will be a musical interval of a fifth higher. Then at the end he mentioned price. Yow! As he said, I could have two 718 for the price of that 911. (I've never been able to drive more than one car at a time though.)

Reactions: Graustark

·
Registered
177 Posts
I think that his suggestion that you could have bought two 718's for one 911 is a little of an exaggeration. A 2021cayman S PDK (which approaches the performance of the 2021 992 C2 PDK) has a $22 K differential in pricing. Not exactly huge and certainly not two for one as his video suggested. I love his videos but he tends to be very conservative in his driving and more pragmatic than most Porsche reviewers and pragmatism is not a word that goes along with Porsche.

·
Registered
718 GTS 2019
131 Posts
As in any forum and any thread there will always be confirmation bias . . . .
I've been searching, but so far having difficulty finding a "woke" #718LivesMatter thread.
Must be something in the water :) o_O

Great points. Cheers

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I've been out an about looking for a 911 to scratch that itch. However, for me and for those who have been part of the Porsche experience for many more years than I, any 911 after the 991.1 generation, is not in the true spirit of the car they came to love. For them, there was a naturally aspirated 911 and a Turbo, with a capital T. Heck many will argue anything that came after the air-cooled version is not in that spirit. I am not part of that crowd, but am part of the former.

I've tested the 992 and quite a few 991.1 and 991.2, and for me, the 992, though a great looking car on the outside, does nothing for me on the inside. Maybe I'm old school, but I prefer analog. I also do not like the dash configuration in the 992. It looks like it belongs in a sedan. It's also grown to a size I do not appreciate and has gotten even farther from the A-F body styling. The 991 seemed to respect that more. IMO the Cayman has a closer relationship to that body style and handling characteristics than the current 992 iteration. It's small, light on it's feet and unencumbered by stylization.

So for me, I'm in search of an NA 911 991.1 with the specs I desire. Oh the Boxster will still have a prominent place in the garage when that happens. It's not going anywhere.

·
Registered
2021 GT4 Carerra White PDK
2 Posts
In February of this year we decided to finally check the box for owning a 911. I absolutely loved the looks of the new 992. We scheduled a time with our local Porsche Dealer (Palm Springs Porsche) to test drive a couple of 911(992).

When we arrived the 911 was not ready for the test drive so we had to wait a few minutes to have it brought up. During this time, my wife spied a new Python Green 718 Boxster GTS 4.0 on the floor . . . and my heart sank . . . "this is not a 911 :confused:".

Our sales advisor said . . . "You guys REALLY need to take this model out for a test drive. I think you will be VERY surprised". BOY, was he right!! We had it out for about 40 minutes - he had a worried look on his face when we came back in . . . he was almost ready to call the cops and report the car stolen :ROFLMAO:.

We then drove the 911(992) and brought it back after 15 minutes. I thought I would never say that a 911 proved to be "disappointing" but I did (I know, I know . . . blasphemy).

Since this was going to primarily be my wife's car I had to look to her for a (y) . . . no disappointment there . . . we both agreed that the "fun factor" needle with the GTS 4.0 was just off the charts. "Wrap it up . . . we'll take it" I said to our SA. SO MUCH FUN!!! :love:.

I was so taken by the GTS 4.0 that I told our SA "if you can find me a Cayman GT4 build I will take it".

So, guess what . . . 3 months later he called to tell me he received 1 (last one for the year) GT4 allocation . . . and I locked it up for build . . . a new Carerra White Cayman GT4 PDK . . . with an anticipated delivery in late August!! And, the icing on the cake is I will be taking delivery at PECLA!! o_O I CAN'T WAIT!!

Obviously, we are "sold" on the unique 718 driving "experience"!

And BTW, a BIG shout out to Nate and the team at Palm Springs Porsche . . . for introducing a 15+ year BMW-M car owner (2 M cars) to a whole new world of fun with the local Porsche community!! Having a blast!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts