Porsche 718 Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks all for the input so far, most appreciated.

TT's feel somewhat lifeless and dull compared to the 718 IMHO, have you test driven any Porsche yet? The GTR would be a weapon, but, well its just not a Porsche. Only you can choose, they're all really quite significantly different cars though - so try and get as much time in each as you can.

Keep us posted and enjoy the search! What part of the UK are you in?
Not driven any Porsche yet so will probably be a bit of an eye opener in the handling department like most say! They are all quite different cars which is what is making it more difficult to chose I think. The reason it's these cars is mainly performance for that price range( used under £45k ). The GTR would be older then the other two and the interior is inferior but like you say it's a weapon. I'm based on the Hampshire Surrey boarder.

The 718 almost drives like AWD, just grips like crazy but also has character.
This is what I want to hear but also if it's pretty similar in the wet. As Chester7 mentions, I'm not going to be able to mash the throttle in the corners like I can on the TTRS but I want to be able to handle the corners with decent speed and it not feel like the back end wants to over take the front. I probably just need to learn to drive to the characteristics of the car to be honest :) I've had it too easy in the TT.

I can't say I've experienced any traction issues in pure wet (with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S in the summer), but I have noticed it is hilariously bad in snow/ice (even with Pilot Alpin PA4s), compared to the RS3 (with the same tires). The Cayman is manageable in the snow/ice, but "planted" is the last word I would use.
Thanks, yeah I wouldn't be taking it out in snow and ice often, if I did I would be expecting to drive it with caution.

I traded in an RS3 and got a 718 GTS manual. Recently, I returned the 718 GTS due to some issues, whether the issues were normal or not, I just couldn't justify having had paid $71K to hear clunks, rattling, 2-3" dents on the car, etc. Having said that, I regret returning it and now relaly considering if the dealership will actually sell it back...In short, the after having driven the GTS for 3 weeks and then getting back into the RS3...the RS3 felt numb. Even the 620 hp shove in acceleration was boring (RS3 is modded).

The GTS was just so darn fun to drive, whether to the grocery store a few blocks away or on the back roads. I tried to find every excuse to drive it. I even took detours on my way back from work. I think the manual had to do a lot with it, but the handling was just sublime. I literally felt like I was the heart of the car. It's like that old Gunam cartoon where the pilot is at the center of the robot.

However, after getting back in the RS3, it felt like I was on top of the car. The steering wheel definitely felt more numb getting back in the RS3 and the whole car just felt rubbery even with all the suspension and chassis mods. If I were you, I would do a longer test drive of the GTS or just drive it at least 3 times because each time the experience will be different. On my 3rd test drive was where I was like OMG, I am sold!
Thanks purekoryo, wow sounds like the 718GTS has really got you hooked. Interesting that you now find the RS3 boring even at that power level, definitely says something about the 718. As everyone has mentioned I really need to get out and test drive the car a few times, which I will do. Hopefully it will make my mind up.

I'm actually hoping that now the 718 GTS 4.0 has been announced that the used market for 2.5 GTS will drop in price, well when that start selling them. I'll be tempted to wait over the next year or so to see if it does as it will be even more of a temptation towards the 718. I'm not overly interested in the 4.0 myself.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sideshow - if you've not driven one yet and don't want to approach a dealership - for whatever reason but not limited to not wanting to put a deposit down etc, get yourself to PEC Silverstone and do a 90 minute experience. They'll do all they can to get you in the car you are interested in, and they'll go through the different test tracks there, the ice wall, and low friction circuit, and the kickplate. All great fun, with some else's car, and £295.

I tried a 992S around June last year, took my father back in November and drove a base 718, and could not believe the difference - the 718 definitely demanded more driver respect, and I described it to the instructor as like driving along a blunt knife edge. The drive is very predictable, and you can work within the handling capabilities of the car, but being mid-engined, when things go wrong, they go wrong real quick. £295 is the cost for 90 minutes, and you get drink/bite to eat included, plus the car, fuel, insurance, and an instructor, who encourages you expand your own abilities, and the different areas available. 100% recommended

·
Registered
532 Posts
I think the TTRS and RS3 are a great package and you get that nice 5 cylinder sound but I wish Audi had done a little more with the body work and made them look more pumped like the other RS models. The R35 is a beast but both cars are really moving into a different category and are much larger and heavier cars so they are limited in that respect. Of course the 4wd is really useful in wet conditions. I think a TTRS is the next best thing.

The 718 GTS as people have pointed out is really a proper sports car with race car seating position and dynamics to match. I drive with a number of Golf R, BMW, Audi and RS3 buddies with stage 1 and 2 tunes and in the straights there is really little noticeable difference and even my friend with his APR Supercharged S5 is also impressed at the pace of the GTS.

Of course once we hit the winding alpine roads then there is no comparison and no one can keep up, the 718 GTS is just that good. I'd imagine a TTRS would be better but the dynamics still are not quite a match for the Porsche.

The only person that has been able to just keep up in our group is an R35 Stage 3 with wide body kit and track suspension mods and tires. That car is very fast in a straight line and has some serious money spent on it but throw some tighter corners in and I am still faster through the corners. Of course the mechanical grip of the 4wd cannot be underestimated and it is difficult to shake him. I'd say a TTRS could be similar but the turn in and braking of the Porsche would still be ahead.

Note I am running light weight forged wheels and Cup 2 track tires so I do have a little bit of an advantage there in the dry.

In the wet or dry the 4wd cars are obviously very fast out of sharp corners, particularly up hill and in the wet, but the 718 GTS is arguably still as fast or faster with the right all weather tires like the 4S. You just need to be a bit more careful with the throttle and accellerating out of corners. I have 295 rear tires but I wonder if 305s woudl be better.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Sideshow - if you've not driven one yet and don't want to approach a dealership - for whatever reason but not limited to not wanting to put a deposit down etc, get yourself to PEC Silverstone and do a 90 minute experience. They'll do all they can to get you in the car you are interested in, and they'll go through the different test tracks there, the ice wall, and low friction circuit, and the kickplate. All great fun, with some else's car, and £295.

I tried a 992S around June last year, took my father back in November and drove a base 718, and could not believe the difference - the 718 definitely demanded more driver respect, and I described it to the instructor as like driving along a blunt knife edge. The drive is very predictable, and you can work within the handling capabilities of the car, but being mid-engined, when things go wrong, they go wrong real quick. £295 is the cost for 90 minutes, and you get drink/bite to eat included, plus the car, fuel, insurance, and an instructor, who encourages you expand your own abilities, and the different areas available. 100% recommended
I’ll second the PEC recommendation. You get a huge return on a relatively small investment. You get experience behind the wheel, which helps your decision making (or makes it more difficult depending on how you look at it), and you become an all-around better driver.

I also agree with your thoughts on the mid vs rear engine handling (having driven both at PEC Atlanta). The rear-engine 911 is quite playful and very predictable. The 718 is as well, but maybe slightly less so. It’s just so easy to get the back end out on the 911, you get more experience with it. The 718 requires A LOT more effort to get the back end out and keep it out under control. Maybe not for those who track all the time and get the predictability down, but for the rest of us, you have to be mindful.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

Thanks for the recommendation on this, I was actually looking at doing this as I thought it be a great way to learn about the car and expand on my own abilities like you say. So I have now booked it in for next month. Do you get enough time to do a bit of all the test tracks or is it better to focus on a few?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I think the TTRS and RS3 are a great package and you get that nice 5 cylinder sound but I wish Audi had done a little more with the body work and made them look more pumped like the other RS models. The R35 is a beast but both cars are really moving into a different category and are much larger and heavier cars so they are limited in that respect. Of course the 4wd is really useful in wet conditions. I think a TTRS is the next best thing.

The 718 GTS as people have pointed out is really a proper sports car with race car seating position and dynamics to match. I drive with a number of Golf R, BMW, Audi and RS3 buddies with stage 1 and 2 tunes and in the straights there is really little noticeable difference and even my friend with his APR Supercharged S5 is also impressed at the pace of the GTS.

Of course once we hit the winding alpine roads then there is no comparison and no one can keep up, the 718 GTS is just that good. I'd imagine a TTRS would be better but the dynamics still are not quite a match for the Porsche.

The only person that has been able to just keep up in our group is an R35 Stage 3 with wide body kit and track suspension mods and tires. That car is very fast in a straight line and has some serious money spent on it but throw some tighter corners in and I am still faster through the corners. Of course the mechanical grip of the 4wd cannot be underestimated and it is difficult to shake him. I'd say a TTRS could be similar but the turn in and braking of the Porsche would still be ahead.

Note I am running light weight forged wheels and Cup 2 track tires so I do have a little bit of an advantage there in the dry.

In the wet or dry the 4wd cars are obviously very fast out of sharp corners, particularly up hill and in the wet, but the 718 GTS is arguably still as fast or faster with the right all weather tires like the 4S. You just need to be a bit more careful with the throttle and accellerating out of corners. I have 295 rear tires but I wonder if 305s woudl be better.
Thanks for the input Don, it is a bit of a concern for me that the GTR might be a little bit on the large and heavy side. I think having such small roads here in the UK something smaller and more agile is probably better/easier for bundling down country lanes and B roads.

Great to know that in the real world the GTS can hold it's own even with modded Golf R's, RS3's and even GTR's. Even bettering them in the twisties too. Makes me wonder what a simple stage 1 on GTS could do :cool: although I'd be concerned again with getting the extra power down.

Like you mention the 718 is built as a sports car, I love the looks, how low it is and the seating position. It is a going to be a head turner, it's a Porsche at the end of the day. The TTRS is more of an all round sporty coupe with great sound and performance. As mentioned by others even though it is an RS and they are fairly rare, by most it will just be seen as a TT with some extra trim. The GTR was something I always wanted, its a brute, a bit of monster but I think performance wise a lot of cars have closed the gap( I mean it is about 12 years old now and it's amazing it still competes really). They can be hugely modded but I wouldn't be one for going too far down that route, only stage 2 or 3. They are fairly rare round my parts and can sound great. It's a tough call because if I get either I will always look at the other and wonder what it would have been like to get that one haha

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks for the recommendation on this, I was actually looking at doing this as I thought it be a great way to learn about the car and expand on my own abilities like you say. So I have now booked it in for next month. Do you get enough time to do a bit of all the test tracks or is it better to focus on a few?
My pleasure. The instructor will ask if there's any specific aspects you want to explore - I just say I'd enjoy seeing everywhere. The straights 0-60-0 aren't essential IMHO, but they're bloody good fun and don't take long to explore. I've only done it twice (the 90 minute experiences, and both instructors were quite different). If they give you the option to skip food in order to get out on track before anyone else, take it - I did in the 992, and got maybe an extra 25 minutes FOC.

I've managed to wangle another visit with the purchase of my GTS so will be back at some point this year. May try GT4 or 4.0GTS just out of curiosity - not sure yet...

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have a CGTS, PDK, SPASM. My friend has a , magnificent TTRS. We had a chance to switch cars for a day... a sunny day. They were very different. the 718 feels more precise in every aspect. The steering, the pedals and the overall sensations. It felt way more planted and nimble. The suspension felt tighther. Even the driving position of the 718 is way superior as you are seated lower and closer to the ground, with the steering at the perfect height.

The overall handling was the bigest difference. The TTRS has a heavy nose that understeers abondantly. The 718 rides like its on rails.

The 718 felt like a track sport car. The TTRS felt like a RS3 coupe...

This being said, on wet roads, the 718 behaves well but you cant realy put the power down. Specially when the roads are colder (below 15 celcius). The 718 S and GTS (don't know about the base in the rain) are more powerfull than the number could lead us to believe.

IMHO, the 718 is the better sport car, if you can live with the fact that it is not AWD, and it is less effective in the rain.

I have driven the GTR. It is more powerfull but less fun to drive (feels heavier, turbo lag, bizare dashboard, less modern, etc.). But a different beast in straight line... if this is an important factor to you. If I was shoping in this price range, I would choose someting else.

The good news is that you are lucky to consider all these cars. Good luck and let us know what you will order !!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I have a CGTS, PDK, SPASM. My friend has a , magnificent TTRS. We had a chance to switch cars for a day... a sunny day. They were very different. the 718 feels more precise in every aspect. The steering, the pedals and the overall sensations. It felt way more planted and nimble. The suspension felt tighther. Even the driving position of the 718 is way superior as you are seated lower and closer to the ground, with the steering at the perfect height.

The overall handling was the bigest difference. The TTRS has a heavy nose that understeers abondantly. The 718 rides like its on rails.

The 718 felt like a track sport car. The TTRS felt like a RS3 coupe...

This being said, on wet roads, the 718 behaves well but you cant realy put the power down. Specially when the roads are colder (below 15 celcius). The 718 S and GTS (don't know about the base in the rain) are more powerfull than the number could lead us to believe.

IMHO, the 718 is the better sport car, if you can live with the fact that it is not AWD, and it is less effective in the rain.

I have driven the GTR. It is more powerfull but less fun to drive (feels heavier, turbo lag, bizare dashboard, less modern, etc.). But a different beast in straight line... if this is an important factor to you. If I was shoping in this price range, I would choose someting else.

The good news is that you are lucky to consider all these cars. Good luck and let us know what you will order !!!
Thanks for the input FiscNad. I am looking forward to my PEC day with the 718 and getting to experience the handling difference you talk about. I think I am going to enjoy it!

What tyres have you got on your CTGS? Sounds like I might have to expect the 718 to be a bit less effective in the wet and cold then, it's something I will have to way up as you say. I end up watching so many video reviews of each of these cars( reading forum posts about them too ) and with each new one that I see/read I end up shuffling the the order of which one is top of the list :LOL: Need to stop and just test drive them!

You are quite right, it is a great position to be in to be able to chose between these cars! Sure will.

·
Registered
11 Posts
This isn’t even a question. A Porsche Cayman is a totally different league from any Audi TT, even a TT-RS. I had 4 Audi TT’s way back when I was in my 20’s, including a Mk 1 TT-QS, a Mk 2 NA 3.2V6 TT and a Mk 2 TT-S. At the time I loved them all. I know have a Cayman GTS. Not even a close comparison. Cayman is a proper sports car, no holes barred proper sports car. Not even close. Much, much more of an event than any TT. Could never see myself going back to a TT. Get the Cayman.

Hi All, I’m considering the 718 S/GTS (PDK) as my next car but I’m unsure if I will enjoy it. Never owned a Porsche before but I’m drawn to the talk of its superb handling and its beautiful looks. This will be my only car, it doesn’t need to be practical, have back seats, it’s not used for commuting to work, so only evenings and weekends but it will be used all year round in the UK.

Along with the 718 the two others on the shortlist are the Audi TTRS MK3 and the Nissan R35 GTR.

Currently I have an Audi TTRS MK2 and in the wet it just grips, it’s so easy to drive you can mash the pedal and the thing never gets out of sorts it just grips and goes. I have owned a rear wheel car before ( Nissan 350z ) it was great in the dry but lively in the wet and didn’t enjoy not being able to put all the power down at times. I’m not really into sliding the car about and quite like how planted the TTRS is.

I would like to hear from others who have experience with the 718 and the TTRS or R35 and what they liked/disliked. I’m interested in how the 718 will compare to these two in wet conditions. With some decent tyres like the MPS4S’s on will it have good grip? Obviously the other two are all wheel drive and are probably going to have better traction in the wet. However I am wondering how big the difference really is when doing spirited driving on normal public roads. The car won’t be tracked. Obviously I need to have a test drive in the 718 and preferably in wet and dry conditions, or maybe even do a Porsche experience day in the 718 to get a good feel for it.
Hi All, I’m considering the 718 S/GTS (PDK) as my next car but I’m unsure if I will enjoy it. Never owned a Porsche before but I’m drawn to the talk of its superb handling and its beautiful looks. This will be my only car, it doesn’t need to be practical, have back seats, it’s not used for commuting to work, so only evenings and weekends but it will be used all year round in the UK.

Along with the 718 the two others on the shortlist are the Audi TTRS MK3 and the Nissan R35 GTR.

Currently I have an Audi TTRS MK2 and in the wet it just grips, it’s so easy to drive you can mash the pedal and the thing never gets out of sorts it just grips and goes. I have owned a rear wheel car before ( Nissan 350z ) it was great in the dry but lively in the wet and didn’t enjoy not being able to put all the power down at times. I’m not really into sliding the car about and quite like how planted the TTRS is.

I would like to hear from others who have experience with the 718 and the TTRS or R35 and what they liked/disliked. I’m interested in how the 718 will compare to these two in wet conditions. With some decent tyres like the MPS4S’s on will it have good grip? Obviously the other two are all wheel drive and are probably going to have better traction in the wet. However I am wondering how big the difference really is when doing spirited driving on normal public roads. The car won’t be tracked. Obviously I need to have a test drive in the 718 and preferably in wet and dry conditions, or maybe even do a Porsche experience day in the 718 to get a good feel for it.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts