Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, i recently purchased a 718 2.0 L but i'd like to have more power. I've seen that many tuner (specially in Germany) are claiming a 100HP gain on the 718 S with Stage 2 works which includes (ecu, filters, downpipes and exhaust) and maybe a 60/70HP gain on the 718 2.0 L.
Now, i know that in 2019/2020 the new Cayman could be unveiled and it could probably have (the S) around 370 HP, so...what do you think i should do? Wait for the new Cayman S or have a Stage 2 on my 718? Or maybe both?
Thank you
:)

·
Registered
104 Posts
In a few months the 718 GTS will come. It will have around 370HP.
Better trade in your 2.0 and buy a GTS.

300hp from a 2.0 is already a lot for such an small engine.
The 2.5 with it's VTG turbo has less lag and will run a lot more reliable than a 2.0 with 370HP. Not to say that you will lose your waranty with the tune. Also resale could be a problem.

Reactions: trusted and TheLip

·
Registered
310 Posts
I agree with Acky. Just because the engine theoretically could handle more boost, and therefore generate more hp and torque, doesn't mean that you should. Ultra high-strung engines tend to break. Loudly. And without warranty. If you want more power, step up to the S or the GTS.

Reactions: trusted

·
Registered
275 Posts
Look at the golf R 2.0. With a tune it?s pushing around 400hp with a cat and intake. So I?m sure the 2.0l can do similar, but not much more without a larger turbo.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys! I reflected a lot and i think that i have 2 choices:

1) Sell the 718 for the 718 GTS and it could be great because my 718 won't lose much of it's value.

2) Sell the 718 in 2020 when the new Cayman S will come out (it should have around 370-380 HP that could also be pushed to over 400 with just ECU or maybe just filter, downpipes and exhaust so without touching the ECU) but in 3 years my 718 will lose lot of its value.

The question is: i own a 2017 718 2.0 that was 87.5K on the price list that in 2020 should have around 30.000/40.000 km (sorry i am from Italy and we use metric system here) what could be the value of the car in 2020 with the above specs?

Knowing that, i could easily make a choice, because...if i'll have to put something like 20-25K for the new car it could be ok, but it's a different story if i i'll have to put 40-50K..

Thank you

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
How sure are we that Porsche will make a 718 GTS? As of right now, my SA said we are unlikely to see a 718 GT4......that would get my vote.

To give an opinion on option "1" or "2".....I like option "1" better or just enjoy the 718 2L. Porsche will always keep evolving and our current models will all eventually be dated/less powerful.

·
Registered
701 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Knowing that, i could easily make a choice, because...if i'll have to put something like 20-25K for the new car it could be ok, but it's a different story if i i'll have to put 40-50K..
I think you've answered your question. Wait for the GTS official announcement and visit your dealer. I can't give any advice on pricing in Italy but regardless wouldn't keep a car I'm not happy with. If you like the deal then make the switch. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
718 GT4 will not be available before 2019

1 - 13 of 13 Posts