Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
25,000 718 sold worldwide in 2017 ... +6%:
https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/com...product-strategy-detlev-von-platen-14713.html

Looks like the 718 was a huge success for Porsche and their mid engine sports cars in 2017. I'm not gonna lie, but I find that mildly amusing. The zealot NA journalists and so called "enthusiast" couldn't talk people out of buying it. Glad to see that objective quality can't be slandered to death by 15 year old forum and youtube trolls. And just maybe people actually like their modern Cayman/Boxster to sound like a mini turbo V8? Who woulda thunk it...:laugh:

·
Registered
145 Posts
718 sales

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/com...product-strategy-detlev-von-platen-14713.html

Looks like the 718 was a huge success for Porsche and their mid engine sports cars in 2017. I'm not gonna lie, but I find that mildly amusing. The zealot NA journalists and so called "enthusiast" couldn't talk people out of buying it. Glad to see that objective quality can't be slandered to death by 15 year old forum and youtube trolls. And just maybe people actually like their modern Cayman/Boxster to sound like a mini turbo V8? Who woulda thunk it...:laugh:
Plus 1000 !!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hear that sound? That's the sound of P9 and Rennlist trolls gnashing their teeth. They've spent the past year in the ecstasy of schadenfreude at the "failure" of the 718.

As predicted, after the flood of negativity at the introduction of a 4 cylinder Porsche, true enthusiasts have come to appreciate what a great platform Porsche has created in the 718.

·
Registered
311 Posts

If I could double like this I would!!!:D

·
Registered
320 Posts
...As predicted, after the flood of negativity at the introduction of a 4 cylinder Porsche, true enthusiasts have come to appreciate what a great platform Porsche has created in the 718.
+ 1

Reactions: aeronca65tl

·
Registered
68 Posts
oh no
that cant be right at all

remember the haters won?

remember its not a real porsche and it doesnt sound good and sound is the most important part of any performance car

its really all that matters

pay no mind to the performance figures that absolutely trounce the prior version

so yea its not selling. Nope . Its a failure.

·
Registered
388 Posts
It seems that we in the US have a lighter designation of cars coming to us from Porsche this year. We have a lighter designation because other markets internationally are on a rapid growth rate (China topping the list). Porsche refuses to increase production to meet demands. Porsche actually controls their growth. You only see a 4% growth last year because that's all Porsche allowed. If Porsche made as many cars as people would buy, last year the company would of likely grown 15-20% in sales. Porsche does this on purpose to maintain exclusivity, resale values, quality control, etc... Porsche has openly stated that it ONLY wants to grow 3-5% a year, every year. Period! They will control production and slot designation to assure that they will not exceed 5% growth in a single year. Of course that's good and bad... As far as the 718 goes, it doesn't seem to be doing great in the first year here in the US. It's definitely not doing good at my dealer. I believe that will change as people can't deny the increase in performance over the 981.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Amen

You shouldn't encourage them. I've spent far too much time on other sites dealing with their inferiority complexes.[/QUOT
I left the Planet-9 site after all the B.S.about the 718. They even gave a "penalty point" for pointing out the obvious trolling done by owners of older Cayman models.
The new Cayman is a world class sports car.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Glad to hear but after test driving several Porsche’s the 718 was an easy decision. I heard allot of the derision directed toward Porsche about the 718 and mentioned it to my SA and he said it’s always the same story when Porsche innovates but those critics though vocal rarely buy new cars.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Official numbers are out. Summary: Porsche is doing well. Introduction of the 718 (982) is a success and reversed the declining 981 sales. May have saved the Boxster/Cayman for the time being.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
I am not seduced by advertising but with one test drive of the 718 my hat is off to Porsche. Respect to Porsche for their single mindedness of purpose and striving for constant innovation in the face of unenlightened criticism. I once read "when you buy a Porsche you pay for research and development and the car is free". That may have been badly quoted but Porsche striving for unending improvement and innovation is undeniable. My motto has always been give credit where credit is due.........

·
Registered
236 Posts
I agree. But I must admit I'm now tiring of this turbo flat four versus naturally aspirated six debate, although I've probably contributed to it more than I should. The new 718 is far superior to the 981 in all respects including maybe except not necessarily the engine. I can't agree it's better or worse, just different. I don't discern a big difference in performance although it is delivered a bit differently, again neither better nor worse. The soundtrack, well again, better in some respects like start-up, idling and pootling but maybe not so exhilarating at accelerating from mid-range and overtaking. So here I am again, perpetuating the debate.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
I agree. But I must admit I'm now tiring of this turbo flat four versus naturally aspirated six debate, although I've probably contributed to it more than I should. The new 718 is far superior to the 981 in all respects including maybe except not necessarily the engine. I can't agree it's better or worse, just different. I don't discern a big difference in performance although it is delivered a bit differently, again neither better nor worse. The soundtrack, well again, better in some respects like start-up, idling and pootling but maybe not so exhilarating at accelerating from mid-range and overtaking. So here I am again, perpetuating the debate.
Three words, Peter, Low End Torque.......need I say more;)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Conceded but then what about....? No, let's not go on. Let's just agree pros and cons to both. I'll let you have 51 to 49 and the last word.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Conceded but then what about....? No, let's not go on. Let's just agree pros and cons to both. I'll let you have 51 to 49 and the last word.
Debate is always good and welcomed......my (our) prospective needs to be tested and discussed and it is through this kind of discourse that we can possibly more closely approximate the "truth".

1 - 20 of 52 Posts