Porsche 718 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
I was quoted almost $500 for the short shift kit install. no thanks! I will do it myself or find another shop. Geez.
It was the very first mod on my 19BS; I put it in myself the morning after I got the car home. Was nervous and took things super slow, documenting everything (needlessly as it happens). Literally took me all of 45 minutes. Incredibly easy to put in. Numeric posted a video of the swap.. the process is the same for putting in the Porsche part. It's the one called "NM400 Install Video" here: www.numericracing.com/guides/

Single best modification I've made to my car. Can't believe this is not stock.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I noticed the new 718 T spec includes short-shifter -- so perhaps the kit will now be available under factory warranty as a dealer install (it wan neither when I looked into it last year). I'll likely add it on that basis, next service visit.

I did have the (then) factory-option short-shifter on my 987 S for 12 years, and the new 718 shifter did not make an impression of a noticeable delta wrt length of throws.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I noticed the new 718 T spec includes short-shifter -- so perhaps the kit will now be available under factory warranty as a dealer install (it wan neither when I looked into it last year). I'll likely add it on that basis, next service visit.

I did have the (then) factory-option short-shifter on my 987 S for 12 years, and the new 718 shifter did not make an impression of a noticeable delta wrt length of throws.
Meh.. the only thing you're actually replacing is an assebly of a metal rod & a couple brackets; there's really nothing to put under warranty as I don't see how these parts would break. The transmission and cables are untouched. The replacement was so easy, required one tool (a #25 torx screwdriver), I couldn't justify giving a shop money to do it. (Esp. since Porsche Marin claimed their computer told them such work carried a "standard charge" of 3 hrs labor. Ridiculous)

·
Registered
233 Posts
I wonder how the OEM short shifter is as compared to my numeric shifter. The shifter is easy to install yourself.
Yeah, I went w/ the OEM. Just used the Numeric video as an install guide. (It's the same procedure.) And yes, was very easy.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Reviving this old thread. I'm considering having the Short Shifter Kit installed on my new 2019 BS. I test drove the Carrera T and liked the feel of the short shifter (even though it was 7MT). I'd like to hear from folks who have the SSK installed and have driven with it for a while. Is it a worthwhile upgrade? Any regrets?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Reviving this old thread. I'm considering having the Short Shifter Kit installed on my new 2019 BS. I test drove the Carrera T and liked the feel of the short shifter (even though it was 7MT). I'd like to hear from folks who have the SSK installed and have driven with it for a while. Is it a worthwhile upgrade? Any regrets?
I have the 981 GT4 part. No regrets at all.

·
Premium Member
1,268 Posts
Dang, I may have to add it to my short list. I'll wait until next summer to see if a cooler head will prevail during the winter.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Mine arrived yesterday afternoon; an hour later I was out for a test drive.

Wow, what a difference!!
I am over the moon with this mod.
Amazing :)

If you truly enjoy rowing through the gears, this mod is an absolute must.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I completed it myself in about an hour. Hardest part is getting over the fear of pulling the trim off the console. Fantastic mod - well worth it.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Was this an easy "DIY"?
Yes, very easy.

The side trims pop off nicely with a trim removal tool.
The rest is just removing a few screws.

The PCM has to come out to get the top trim off.
I just hung it from the rear view mirror rather than disconnecting anything.

I've taken a lot of interior trims off of various cars over the years.
I was really impressed at how well Porsche puts their cars together.

·
Registered
569 Posts
OEM.
JMO, For the cost difference, I really don't see the benefit of the Numeric.
And I've had dedicated track sifters before (CAE on a BMW)
For a more dedicated track car maybe.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Ordered the OEM shifter last night. I had been contemplating the NR shifter, but after reading the reports here on the OEM shift kit, I was sold.

I'll now have the shift kit, a Fabspeed cat back exhaust, the mode memory module and the roof module to install. There's a local PCA member that owns a speed shop that I'll have do the work.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
This afternoon I spent a little time installing the OEM short shifter. A few observations: 1. It's relatively easy and straightforward. I used trim removal tools to help motivate the side panels to move off of the friction pins that hold them onto the metal armature of the console. The tools are not necessary, but not having taken the side panels off before, I wasn't sure exactly what I was dealing with. A gentle pry and I could see how things went together.

After removing the rest of the components that are necessary to swap shifters, the swap-out is a straightforward as it gets. Remove four torx screws and release the shift cables from their retainers and it's out. Putting the new one in was just as easy. Total time was probably around 40 minutes, but that's because I was messing around with the T-9 memory module install. See below

2. The OEM shifter that comes on the GTS (only have experience with that) is identical to the GT4 short shift in every way other than the length of the lever. Not sure if this is the case for the base and S. Which leads to .......

3. Why on Earth would Porsche put the longer shifter in the GTS much less any of the 718s? You can be 7 feet tall or 5 feet tall and the longer OEM shifter just feels wrong. It's too high above the console and requires an exaggerated bend of the elbow to grip it properly. The short shifter is a little more than 3/4" shorter, but does make a difference in comfort. The throws remain the same and reverse was no more difficult/easy than it already is.

Since I had the console apart, it was obviously a good time to install the T-9 memory module which retains the settings of the center console buttons from the prior driving session. It works as I need it to work. It has auto stop start disabled and sport exhaust enabled upon startup. Then I can drive in normal mode, save gas and the planet and not have to worry about the engine shutting down, looking like I stalled at the traffic light. It does not effect driving mode for my car as I have Sport Chrono with the control on the steering wheel. I really don't care about that function. However, with a manual shifter and the smoking package, I cannot find a suitable location inside the console framing to mount the module. It's just a tight squeeze.

I see the fix will require two extension wires so the module can be placed ahead of the shifter assembly instead of behind. Plenty of room up front under the head unit. On initial startup I got an engine code. Upon second start all was normal again and the switches for ASS and sport exhaust were illuminated. Unfortunately I had to remove the module for now, as I could not put the console back with it in place. I'll contact T-9 and see what they suggest as a solution.

All in all, the short shifter is worth doing, just disappointed Porsche forces one to spend dollars on it when they could either make it a no-cost option or just put the **** thing in from the get-go. All they have to do is pick parts from bin A instead of bin B. Amazing.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts