Porsche 718 Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Based on the positive reviews in this thread, I purchased and installed the Short Shifter Kit from Suncoast. Other than it being sweaty hot in my garage this afternoon, I had no problems doing it myself. It took me about an hour to complete the job.

Before I started, I watched the YouTube video from Numeric Racing about 6 times, just so I'd have the process down. The only part I was a little nervous about was pulling off the leather wrapped panels on either side of the console, but I took my time and didn't have any issues.

The kit only drops the shifter height about 20mm, but it feels much better than the stock height. Once rush hour traffic is done, I'll head out and give it a road test.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Based on the positive reviews in this thread, I purchased and installed the Short Shifter Kit from Suncoast. Other than it being sweaty hot in my garage this afternoon, I had no problems doing it myself. It took me about an hour to complete the job.

Before I started, I watched the YouTube video from Numeric Racing about 6 times, just so I'd have the process down. The only part I was a little nervous about was pulling off the leather wrapped panels on either side of the console, but I took my time and didn't have any issues.

The kit only drops the shifter height about 20mm, but it feels much better than the stock height. Once rush hour traffic is done, I'll head out and give it a road test.
I also recently installed the short shifter kit from the GT4. Fairly straightforward - 90 minutes for me. Not a huge difference in feel, but I really enjoy the lower height.

·
Premium Member
1,268 Posts
FYI, short shifter on sale at Suncoast. I just bought one. $229.95 + shipping.

·
Premium Member
1,268 Posts
Well, I installed my new short shifter about two weeks ago. As I mentioned elsewhere, the most unnerving part of the procedure was how tight the existing parts were and the unexpected wire mounts in the front and back of the stock shifter. I took it for a short drive afterwards and liked it, but knew I'd need a longer test to come up with a decent, reflective assessment. Yesterday was in the 60s F but rainy and I had to take Carmen the Cayman in for her first service. Took the long way there and back and then later last evening, went to a PCA meeting several miles away. Although it was dark and wet, I went a twisty back road that allowed me some fun and testing the shifter popping in and out of tight turns and barren (and short) straights. I was very favorably impressed! Is it simply the lack of additional leverage that makes this shifter seem more precise than the stock version? The difference is so noticeable. I also feel a much more direct connection to the transmission and this adds to the "sport" of this little sports car!

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
The part can be found online starting at $250. I believe that’s the Suncoast price. Labor should be at your local Porsche dealership about 1 hour or if they charge by the half then... well half that.

That’s a great “clunk” sound, but sadly no.
I have the same shift kit. I think it's the best mod on my car. Perfect. Not too short. The height of the stick is perfect.

You have to be careful with the 4-5 shift to push hard to the right. The spring takes a bit more force with the shorter stick. I went 4-3 instead of 4-5 once...on track. No over-rev but...close. 100% better than the tall stock shifter, which feels wrong to me. I'm not a crazy fan of real short shifters. This feels like it was made for the car. The stock one feels like it was made for some other car and thrown into the Cayman. I wish the spring for R and for spring for 5 & 6 were a little bit weaker....but I'm used to it now. Only negative on this kit. Shifting is super-smooth and not notchy.

This is the only shifter Suncoast sells for the 718....for good reason.

:alien:

Reactions: JazzCatGab

·
Registered
59 Posts
GT4 shirt shifter installed in my Boxster GTS. I like it. Although the installation was fairly straightforward, it was very nervous due the the trim pieces being so tight. I was afraid to use too much force to pop them off, but little by little, and with the help of some trim removal tools, I was able to do it. Probably about 2 careful hours total.

I think I read others saying there was a difference in center feel spring action on the GT4 shifter, however in my case there is absolutely zero difference, other than the stick being shorter by about an inch. I compared my old shifter with the new shifter before installing and they both have the exact same spring action. Maybe the GTS shifter is different than on the base or S models?

What has everyone done with their old, original shifter? Is there any market for selling them? Seems a shame to trash something like this, even though I am sure I will never have any future need for it.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
What has everyone done with their old, original shifter? Is there any market for selling them? Seems a shame to trash something like this, even though I am sure I will never have any future need for it.
I have it stowed in the box the SS came in. May be a good idea to keep it just in case you decide to sell or specifically trade it in. Then you can re-install the original to return the car to spec. Then sell the SS.

·
Registered
2018 718 Boxster GTS in GT silver metallic, manual 6speed
10 Posts
ok, dumb question... and very late to this thread. i bought a CPO BGTS with the 6MT. how can i tell if it has the stock shifter or already has the short shifter installed? the knobs of each looks the same in the pics i've seen. is there anything i can easily measure to see if i have it? seems like a cool mod from what i've been reading. thanks in advance.

·
Registered
233 Posts
ok, dumb question... and very late to this thread. i bought a CPO BGTS with the 6MT. how can i tell if it has the stock shifter or already has the short shifter installed? the knobs of each looks the same in the pics i've seen. is there anything i can easily measure to see if i have it? seems like a cool mod from what i've been reading. thanks in advance.
The knobs are the same. The short shifter is just a metal rod w/ the cabling attachments below. You remove the original knob, then put it back on the new lever. It's only a 2cm reduction in height but it makes a world of difference (to me.) I guess I'd say first off, if the position (height) of the shifter feels awkward to you, look into it. If it feels natural as is, then use whatever is in there. That said, on mine, the base of the knob (where silver ring meets leather) is ~1 inch above the console to the side.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The knobs are the same. The short shifter is just a metal rod w/ the cabling attachments below. You remove the original knob, then put it back on the new lever. It's only a 2cm reduction in height but it makes a world of difference (to me.) I guess I'd say first off, if the position (height) of the shifter feels awkward to you, look into it. If it feels natural as is, then use whatever is in there. That said, on mine, the base of the knob (where silver ring meets leather) is ~1 inch above the console to the side.
Thanks for the response. Based on your description… it’s sounds like I have the standard, and thus have identified my next mod and order from Suncoast. :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Thanks for the response. Based on your description… it’s sounds like I have the standard, and thus have identified my next mod and order from Suncoast. :)
If you want open up the center console - just to practice ;) - you can measure the actual length of the rod.
Here's a picture of my stock shifter. The short shifter will be ..... shorter ....

Opening it up to get access to measure it shouldn't take more than 10-15 minutes - even on the first try. Loads of good info here and on youtube on how to do it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you want open up the center console - just to practice ;) - you can measure the actual length of the rod.
Here's a picture of my stock shifter. The short shifter will be ..... shorter ....
View attachment 31547

Opening it up to get access to measure it shouldn't take more than 10-15 minutes - even on the first try. Loads of good info here and on youtube on how to do it.
Thank you!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,268 Posts
Definitely use the Numeric video (NM400) because some of the YouTube videos show some crazy methods. And to do this measurement, you really only need to undo the boot (you don't need to take anything around it apart) and remove the shifter knob properly (as opposed to just yanking it off as I've seen in some videos). If you do install the short shifter, then you need to take other parts off.

Reactions: GTS18BGTS

·
Registered
112 Posts
to do this measurement, you really only need to undo the boot (you don't need to take anything around it apart)
That's correct. :)
But I found it a lot easier to undo the boot if I removed the center console trim. (the big shiny plastic piece that's everybody's favorite replacement candidate :cool: )

That's true with some youtube videos being crap, but there should also be some common sense involved ;)
In any case - collar needs to be rotated 1/4 turn counter-clockwise for the boot to pull off.
Collar is where the screwdriver is pointing:

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm thinking of cutting an extra 1cm off the shaft and trying it. That 1 extra cm - compared to the short-shifter.
If it doesn't work out - no big deal - it was sitting in a box for 2 years now, anyway.
I actually did a semi-stupid thing in my "infinite covid-induced boredom": I replaced my factory shift knob with a Raceseng "Circuit Sphere 100" recently, and that brought back the height of my short shifter to almost what the factory was - in effect canceling out the benefits of the SSK :(
New knob feels better and is good quality but too tall.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts