Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys - I'm from Toronto but Live in Dubai - I have a manual 718 Cayman S in Dubai. Now Porsche connect doesn't fully work here and i'm not an iphone guy (perpetual fear of having all my music forcefully converted). I have a Samsung S8 and would love to use google maps on the car's PCM on screen - is there any way to mirrorlink my Samsung? Ideally just like CarPlay but i don't care if it's via USB - i'll just stuff my phone in the glovebox if it's fully mirorred.

I've seen it on YouTube Videos from users in China - not sure if they hacked the PCM, but they had fully mirrored their Android on the 718's screen.

The PCM Nav is great but we all know that nothing can really compete with Google maps...also I use Deezer for Music and while it does sync, I can't access the full Deezer functionality on the PCM through Bluetooth - I can only pause or skip. Mirroring would be awesome even if it blocks videos for obvious reasons.

Cheers

Jad

·
Super Moderator
1,887 Posts
Hey Guys - I'm from Toronto but Live in Dubai - I have a manual 718 Cayman S in Dubai. Now Porsche connect doesn't fully work here and i'm not an iphone guy (perpetual fear of having all my music forcefully converted). I have a Samsung S8 and would love to use google maps on the car's PCM on screen - is there any way to mirrorlink my Samsung? Ideally just like CarPlay but i don't care if it's via USB - i'll just stuff my phone in the glovebox if it's fully mirorred.

I've seen it on YouTube Videos from users in China - not sure if they hacked the PCM, but they had fully mirrored their Android on the 718's screen.

The PCM Nav is great but we all know that nothing can really compete with Google maps...also I use Deezer for Music and while it does sync, I can't access the full Deezer functionality on the PCM through Bluetooth - I can only pause or skip. Mirroring would be awesome even if it blocks videos for obvious reasons.

Cheers

Jad
Hi Jad,

First question: Are these YT videos depicting Android Auto and/or screen mirroring specifically on PCM 4.0 (the current version; was launched in the Macan in mid-2016), or an older version of PCM? That makes a huge difference for reasons obvious and not as obvious.

Basically, as I understand it, PCM 4.0 is significantly more complex than 3.0, and not even reputable mirroring aftermarket venues have cracked it for one reason: the fiber optic MOST (Media Oriented Systems Transport) bus interface, which was upgraded from the MOST50 standard to the far more complex (and higher-bandwidth) MOST150 standard in PCM 4.0. Though MOST150 has been around for nearly a decade, almost all aftermarket auto-multimedia gizmos only work with MOST50 or its predecessor, MOST25.

Beyond that ... two other possibilities:
- The car has the base Sound Package Plus, which may not run any multimedia through a MOST bus (I ordered my car with this on purpose to avoid MOST bus issues because the audio is verified to not run through a MOST bus)
- The jailbreak cats in China don't care about warranty issues, operational glitches, etc. by getting Android Auto to work on PCM 4.0.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

According to the video it's PCM 4.0 and it's a 718 so it should be the 4.0 (?)- but sounds like there is no way to do this without voiding the warranty which i obviously won't do. The guy in the video also looks like he's using the AUX jack and not the USB which seems rather strange (and switches to NAV before the android logo appears)

Anyhow sounds like a hack and this is a little out of my league given the desire to keep the warranty - I was hoping that Porsche connect allowed for something like Carplay but with Android but i guess that's wishful thinking. Really wanted my Google maps - and whatsapp!

Thanks very much for the detailed/expert answer - that's why i joined this forum - Cheers

·
Super Moderator
1,887 Posts
https://youtu.be/3CxqVsyvVqo

According to the video it's PCM 4.0 and it's a 718 so it should be the 4.0 (?)- but sounds like there is no way to do this without voiding the warranty which i obviously won't do. The guy in the video also looks like he's using the AUX jack and not the USB which seems rather strange (and switches to NAV before the android logo appears)

Anyhow sounds like a hack and this is a little out of my league given the desire to keep the warranty - I was hoping that Porsche connect allowed for something like Carplay but with Android but i guess that's wishful thinking. Really wanted my Google maps - and whatsapp!

Thanks very much for the detailed/expert answer - that's why i joined this forum - Cheers
It's very much a hack. And if he's using the Aux In, he's likely only hacked the video portion of the interface because it's probably impossible to simultaneously hack the audio portion and enable the DAC inside the head unit.

Particularly since PCM 4.0 (and Audi/VW's companion infotainment systems) has moved to MOST150, I know companies such as MObridge, Audison, and Match are working on products for that bus interface. But because of its complexity, those products haven't made it to market yet.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like the answer is to put pressure on Porsche to strike a deal with google on Android Auto - and to allow us to go to the dealer for the upgrade. Apparently the deal breaker is the Data Google wants to collect...I do understand Porsche's reluctance but if Audi/VW have signed on then you know that it's only a matter of time before Porsche takes a knee.

Here's the snippet from an article i found - can't post the link yet apparently:

" No Android Auto … just yet. There’s no technological reason the latest 991/2 doesn’t have Android Auto playing through its massively upgraded PCM system.

This is because as part of the agreement an automaker would have to enter with Google, Porsche said certain pieces of data must be collected and transmitted back to Mountain View, California.

Things like vehicle speed, throttle position, coolant and oil temp, engine revs—basically Google wants a complete OBDII dump whenever someone activates Android Auto.

Porsche (informally) disagrees with such surveillance, believing that info like that is the secret sauce that makes its cars special and unique.

Moreover, giving such data to a multibillion-dollar corporation that’s actively building its own autonomous car isn’t such a good idea.

Apple, by way of stark contrast, only wants to know if the car is moving while Apple Play is in use. It makes you wonder though why the other OEMs (more than 35 of them, including VW and Audi) have agreed to Google’s terms.

Google disputes some of these assertions, emphasizing that Android Auto users must opt in to share any information upon their first connection of their phone to a car, with some of that data used for safety (restricting typing and allowing only voice input when the car is not in “Park,” for example) and the rest used to optimize the app’s user experience."

·
Registered
113 Posts
While not a solution for your ask, you can use Google Maps and a bunch of other native iPhone apps within CarPlay IF you jailbreak your phone and leverage one of the many hack apps out there that pull other iPhone Apps into CarPlay. So if you did switch to iPhone, you could use your favorite apps if you don't mind jail breaking your phone. Not the best solution, but an option nonetheless.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts