Porsche 718 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'm gonna say he's about the same as I am (93oct) 405 wheel hp, he will be a few hp higher as he's using 104oct. maybe 410 whp

·
Registered
630 Posts
Now that I'm thinking of it... I can't say I've ever seen a Porsche warm up drag tires. I'm gonna have to search this.

Is the car capable of doing a standing burnout without the nannies kicking in?

If you can't heat those ET streets up, you'd be better off on the stock tires.
I've done it in my car. Smoked them up at a traffic light. Guy that cut me off to get to the light ahead of me was in a Dodge a Hellcat. The guy that couldn't get to the light ahead of me was in a '69 GTO convertible. So when the light turned green, I smoked out the guy in the GTO :) I'm sure those two were together and just trying to annoy the old.........er dude in the little Porsche.

·
Registered
536 Posts
We used Mickey thompson yesterday “semi slick”.... and never stick on 1,2,3 shift...We did last night 11.9 1/4 mile @ 115 miles
With that time it does sound like you lost traction. I'm wondering if your tires weren't warmed up enough given they are semi-slick. You might actually be better off with a wider "normal" tire like a PS4S in a 305 which will give you more traction at a colder tire temperature. I can imagine there is not really much opportunity to get heat into your tires on a drag strip.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have searched for a Cayman warming up tires in a burnout box... I've found nada that looked like a proper tire warm up.

No one can answer if the 718 is capable of doing such maneuver without the nannies stopping you.
Why would you not be able to do a burnout with PSM turned off?

David

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Why would you not be able to do a burnout with PSM turned off?

David
That’s what I’m asking as well and really only in regards to the PDK. If its not being done with a manual car I’d assume it’s driver related. Seems every video I’ve seen they all do a quick rolling of the tire through the box and call it good?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Definitely didn't warm up the tires. 400whp on a midengine car with properly warmed up slicks will not spin half way through 1st let a lone 2nd gear... You would have gone low 11's on regular street tires... What was your DA? Tire pressure?

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Unfortunately OP was duped with inflated dyno numbers and most likely his money at the same time. Just emphasizes the need to vet your choice of shop. Tuners and performance shops are in it for the money, nothing wrong with making an honest buck, but I feel this is not one of those cases.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Would've thought he would have felt the lack of claimed numbers...even 30 whp & ft lbs can be felt on the ass dyno... Unless you're J Lo of course...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Something isnt adding up. Stock S should run roughly 12 flat at 114.9 based on Motortrends testing. That car should have a trap speed above 120 mph shouldn't it? Trap speed is less sensitive to how the car launches and is generally a good indicator or HP.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts