Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a clunk noise (like backlash in drivetrain) since car was new, leaving the dealer's lot with 7 miles on the car. It is most notable when the drivetrain load unloads downshifting from 3rd to 2nd (PDK), or driving slowly and lifting off the gas. The dealership said they did not have another PDK 718 to test to see if it's inherent in the car. The technician who drove it with me said it was most likely the "coast" feature. I don't think the Boxster has the coast feature because when you lift slightly on the gas pedal at highway speeds the RPM's do not drop as they would if they had this feature. If you put the transmission in park, get out and gently rock the car back and forth you can hear a very similar sound at the ends of the rocking. A very metallic clunking sound. Anyone else experiencing this?

·
892 Posts
A PDK Boxster does indeed have the coast feature but it only works in standard mode. As soon as you engage either Sport or Sport + the feature is disabled.

·
892 Posts
It's impossible to gauge what's normal with regard to the noise your car produces without actually being able to hear it, but they do sound very mechanical. I can't say I've found them to make a metallic clunking sound as such & I've owned 2 PDK Boxster's. Although I believe there have been modifications of the PDK gearbox between models 981 to 982 (718), I haven't found either to be obtrusively noisy or to produce different levels of mechanical noise between the units. However your perception of the noise generated might be different to mine. Is it very loud? One thing I do have to add though is that I find the technicians comments rather strange. Unless he's new to the job he will have been out in dozens & dozens of PDK cars by now & should be very familiar with what represents normal or not. Can you go back & ask for the opinion of another technician or is there another Porsche dealer within reasonable driving distance? It's certainly a less than satisfactory answer you've obtained from the one you have seen & I'm just sorry I can't really be of more assistance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts