Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Porsche Boxster 718
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Porsche addicts,

since I am ignorant, I wanted to know if 20” 981 carrera wheels would fit on my 718 and it they would be legally homologated

Original Carrera Classic II 20"
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Hubcap Tread

9.5J x ET45
8J x ET 57

thanks!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I believe they fit. My winter set are from a 981. I believe you may need to replace the TPMS sensors in each wheel though, as the 982 uses a different technology. I cant confirm as i haven’t fitted them yet.

·
Registered
2021 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
1,104 Posts
I believe they fit. My winter set are from a 981. I believe you may need to replace the TPMS sensors in each wheel though, as the 982 uses a different technology. I cant confirm as i haven’t fitted them yet.
I can confirm it as I have had a TPMS error for two winters now. Will be getting new sensors with the next set of tires.

·
Registered
Porsche Boxster 718
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any of the 18", 19" or 20" OEM options will fit on any 981 or 718 except the GT cars (GT4/Spyder). I use 18" Boxster wheels for my winters.. Homologated? Are you racing?
Thanks for the info. Probably I chose the word poorly, I meant if they are legally valid to circulate on road. In Switzerland if the wheel size is listed on the OEM record, you need a certificate. This applies for example to all non original wheels.
Thanks in any case, I really like the carrera wheels and I could transform my 19” into the winter set!

·
Registered
2021 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
1,104 Posts
Thanks for the info. Probably I chose the word poorly, I meant if they are legally valid to circulate on road. In Switzerland if the wheel size is listed on the OEM record, you need a certificate. This applies for example to all non original wheels.
Thanks in any case, I really like the carrera wheels and I could transform my 19” into the winter set!
I really like those Carrera Classics. Enjoy.

·
Premium Member
2,094 Posts
Guess you don't see many like these around your parts :ROFLMAO:

Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Grille

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
69 Posts
They will fit but will sit a little more inward of the fenders. You may want spacers to flush them up a bit. The updated version of those wheels for the 718 are 10" wide with the same offset on the rear. Looks like the fronts are unchanged.

·
Registered
2021 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
1,104 Posts
What I meant to say is the the 718 20 inch rear wheels are wider than those on the 981. I wasn’t clear, sorry. For winter tires it may not matter that much.
Some of the 981 rear wheels were 9.5" and some were 10". Likewise some 718 rears are 10", some are 10.5" I believe that it is the turbo wheels that are wider.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
They will fit but will sit a little more inward of the fenders. You may want spacers to flush them up a bit. The updated version of those wheels for the 718 are 10" wide with the same offset on the rear. Looks like the fronts are unchanged.
Why would they sit inboard of the fenders? The offsets are the exact same so the centerline is the exact same. If you have the same 20" tires they will line up exactly the same with the fenders and the inner components. The difference will be the bead location for the 9.5" wheel, relative to the current 10" wheel, will be inset 1/4" on each side. The alignment with the hub that will be the same.

Edited:. You are talking the wheel surface. I agree now that will be inset a bit but I believe it's the tire face that matters here.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
MOO & FWIW

·
Registered
69 Posts
Why would they sit inboard of the fenders? The offsets are the exact same so the centerline is the exact same. If you have the same 20" tires they will line up exactly the same with the fenders and the inner components. The difference will be the bead location for the 9.5" wheel, relative to the current 10" wheel, will be inset 1/4" on each side. The alignment with the hub that will be the same.

Edited:. You are talking the wheel surface. I agree now that will be inset a bit but I believe it's the tire face that matters here.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
MOO & FWIW
If the offset is the measurement off the centerline of the wheel. So if the wheel is skinnier but the offset is the same as wider wheel it will be slightly more inboard by 1/2 the amount of the difference between those two widths. In this case it will be 6mm further inboard with the 9.5" wheel. https://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Wheel-Offset-Calculator

·
Registered
2021 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
1,104 Posts
If the offset is the measurement off the centerline of the wheel. So if the wheel is skinnier but the offset is the same as wider wheel it will be slightly more inboard by 1/2 the amount of the difference between those two widths. In this case it will be 6mm further inboard with the 9.5" wheel.
Or about 1/4 inch, which is imperceptible to most eyes.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts