Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

First post, which is actually a public service announcement of sorts...

I have had my new 2018 CGTS for about a month, and the vehicle has exceeded all of my expectations, though during my commute yesterday, a message prompting me to 'refill coolant' and 'stop driving' was displayed. As you can imagine, while paying attention (begrudgingly) to the break-in period, and having driven only about 1000 miles, I was surprised and more than concerned.

In any case, the vehicle was towed after calling Porsche roadside assistance to my local dealer, after which I was informed by the service department that the coolant reservoir, which includes a sensor, needs to be replaced. Engine temperature was normal. It was also mentioned that there is a service bulletin on this issue and that the part will actually be replaced with an updated part (i.e. new model number). Unfortunately, I learned that the engine needs to be removed (doh) to replace the part, so I will be without for a handful of days...

I hope that this helps someone else that receives a disconcerting red 'stop driving' message during an otherwise normal commute made exceptional with their brand new 718 GTS.

Cheers

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
MODERATOR note: A pdf of PCNA Service Bulletin 62/18 has been attached to this post)

A quick update - I learned from the dealer upon collecting my repaired vehicle today that the issue apparently affects builds between 2017 and the first part 2018, and the faulty coolant reservoir that was replaced is described in service bulletin SY 62/18 10.08.

The repair took about three days (including the ordering of the replacement part). This was the first occurrence the dealer had seen with this issue, though it was a well-known problem according to their service department and they expect to see more of these issues, as the problematic part was installed for more than a year. The repair would have been around $3500 if it had not been covered by warranty.

The car seemed to be in good shape after my drive home, though I noticed a faint smell of coolant in my garage after parking this evening - wonder what (if anything) I should pay special attention to, as again, the engine had to be removed to perform the repair...?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
A quick update - I learned from the dealer upon collecting my repaired vehicle today that the issue apparently affects builds between 2017 and the first part 2018, and the faulty coolant reservoir that was replaced is described in service bulletin SY 62/18 10.08.

The repair took about three days (including the ordering of the replacement part). This was the first occurrence the dealer had seen with this issue, though it was a well-known problem according to their service department and they expect to see more of these issues, as the problematic part was installed for more than a year. The repair would have been around $3500 if it had not been covered by warranty.

The car seemed to be in good shape after my drive home, though I noticed a faint smell of coolant in my garage after parking this evening - wonder what (if anything) I should pay special attention to, as again, the engine had to be removed to perform the repair...?

Hm,

I have had this 3 times on my 2017 CS. only at startup and for 1-3 sec then it have disapeared.
It is time to make some phone calls...

Thanks Man!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hm,

I have had this 3 times on my 2017 CS. only at startup and for 1-3 sec then it have disapeared.
It is time to make some phone calls...

Thanks Man!
Glad to help - just learned how to determine build date for my vehicle (duh), which is 3/18.

For what it's worth, the warning was displayed in the digital dash two days in a row at exactly the same spot on my commute - around 20-25 minutes into my drive.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My 718 Cayman experienced the same warning message. My car was delivered Nov 2017. The first time I got the warning was after a 90 minute drive. I parked up, unloaded the car and when I turned the ignition the warning came on. I immediately parked up and contacted the OPC the following day. The first time they looked at it, they checked the coolant system and it held pressure overnight so they found nothing wrong. Suffice to say the warning message came back on when I got home after filling up with fuel. They then replaced a sensor and thought they had cured it but they hadn't. They finally rectified the problem at the 3rd attempt after contacting Porsche in Germany. I was presented with a pile of email correspondence. They had the car for about a month. It's now fixed. However, they damaged the interior trim above the engine bay so the car is going in for visit #4.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Just curious if you have your settings showing coolant and oil temp? I believe the 718s also allow this (?)......on my 981 I have coolant temp, oil temp, oil pressure and volts all displayed as my standard settings.......I know that coolant stays at the same setting even when it is actually hotter but I believe will go higher if the coolant does get into the dangerous range. Regardless, thanks for sharing about the early 718s issue.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I called Porsche North America to inquire if there is a Service Bulletin outstanding for this issue. The only one is the side vent recall. Does this mean you have to wait for the issue to appear or can you take it in pre emptively?

·
Super Moderator
1,880 Posts
There is a significant difference between a Service Bulletin (this issue) and a full-on recall (the side-vent issue).

A Service Bulletin generally only applies to cars exhibiting certain symptoms, and only cars with those symptoms will be fixed in the manner proscribed by the bulletin. There is no 'pre-emptive' aspect to a Service Bulletin.

A Recall (whether voluntary or mandatory) generally applies to all cars with specific items regardless of any symptoms, and all cars with those items will be fixed in the manner proscribed in the bulletin. The 'pre-emptive' aspect is key to a recall.

It's important to distinguish between the two with service departments because most are instructed to not divulge info about Service Bulletins to a customer unless the customer's vehicle is actually exhibiting behavior symptomatic to the SB. This is done to prevent every Joe Schmo from demanding the fix proscribed in the SB, which costs both the service department and car manufacturer money. Lots of money.

Reactions: wriggly and Guaji

·
Registered
435 Posts
There is a significant difference between a Service Bulletin (this issue) and a full-on recall (the side-vent issue).

A Service Bulletin generally only applies to cars exhibiting certain symptoms, and only cars with those symptoms will be fixed in the manner proscribed by the bulletin. There is no 'pre-emptive' aspect to a Service Bulletin.

A Recall (whether voluntary or mandatory) generally applies to all cars with specific items regardless of any symptoms, and all cars with those items will be fixed in the manner proscribed in the bulletin. The 'pre-emptive' aspect is key to a recall.

It's important to distinguish between the two with service departments because most are instructed to not divulge info about Service Bulletins to a customer unless the customer's vehicle is actually exhibiting behavior symptomatic to the SB. This is done to prevent every Joe Schmo from demanding the fix proscribed in the SB, which costs both the service department and car manufacturer money. Lots of money.
I don't think too many Schmo's are gonna be quick to ask for a service that requires engine removal. 0:)

Bunch of 718 owners will be driving with fingers crossed though.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
1 had my car in for a quick check, have time 1 Nov for trouble shooting.
Then they will decide if the engine will go out or not.

I dont really mind all that, but i do mind is that this time i dont get a Macan as a loaner......

·
Super Moderator
1,450 Posts
1 had my car in for a quick check, have time 1 Nov for trouble shooting.
Then they will decide if the engine will go out or not.

I dont really mind all that, but i do mind is that this time i dont get a Macan as a loaner......
Tell'em you want a 911!>:D

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Right, my baby is in for diagnostic, and my loaner is a fully speced brand new Cayenne Hybrid.
It could have been worse, and **** what that thing can go!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Got Word from Porsche today, they will replace the coolant sensor, and i am not the only one.....
I dont have any date yet but it is a 2-3 day process.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Right, i got time at the end of November for the replacement, looks as i got the same loaner again :)
But there is more, see V-Mikes sound aktor thread for more info.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
27-29 November, that's the date I got.
For those that is out of warranty (at least in Sweden) shall not fear, they will replace it if needed without/reduced cost.
The engine needs to be lowered so all the connections and pipes and tubes that's hooked to the engine needs to come of.
Coolant, AC needs to be drained and probably the engine oil to.

I told them that i don't expect any loaner below the class i just had, The whisper Death i call it.
And they promised that the will not touch the sound actor!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
My Baby is in for reservoir change, wish us luck!
They should be done on Thursday so 3 Days......
Got the Cayenne Hybrid as loanser again :)

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
My car aint ready yet, after they put it all back in the engine misfires and they dont know why.
:(

·
Registered
582 Posts
My car aint ready yet, after they put it all back in the engine misfires and they dont know why.
/forum/images/718forum/smilies/tango_face_sad.png
Hope they sort it soon. One can't have anything to do with the other, can it??

1 - 20 of 74 Posts