Porsche 718 Forum banner
181 - 200 of 208 Posts

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I have been told that the dealership will get an extra allocation if your order is doing an ED as long as Porsche AG in either Zuffenhausen or Leipzig can accommodate your order (due to only a number of new vehicles can be delivered in a day). Because your order will be considered Porsche AG's allocation instead of the dealer's allocation. That's why one of my buddies also put his order in together with me on 718 Spyder for European delivery.

I think you will have a great chance to get yours. finger crossed!
This is what I was told as well.

·
Registered
Sebring Orange 2019 C7 Z06
12 Posts
Dealerships definitely get an extra allocation when they sell an order with ED. They do get a chargeback of some amount (a few thousand) because of the ED, but the value of the extra allocation more than compensates for that.
Sorry just getting back into the discussion now - Porsche pickle lake is pretty hilarious as thats “near” where I was haha!

Do I understand you correctly that I have a higher chance of getting an allocation if I do European Delivery because the allocation isn’t the dealerships, but Porsche in Germany? If so I’ll 100% do that and drive around Europe!

·
Registered
66 Posts
You might have a slightly higher chance (of getting an allocation) if you do ED because that extra allocation is valuable to the dealer (at least in theory, in times when allocations flow plentifully. It may be less valuable to the dealer if that extra allocation comes way in the future). And that extra allocation is indeed for that specific dealership.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You might have a slightly higher chance (of getting an allocation) if you do ED because that extra allocation is valuable to the dealer (at least in theory, in times when allocations flow plentifully. It may be less valuable to the dealer if that extra allocation comes way in the future). And that extra allocation is indeed for that specific dealership.
Ok that makes sense! Thank you!

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I don't even want to know the cost to have the car shipped from Europe to Canada.
If you do ED, then you drop off the car at certain locations and Porsche AG will ship it to your dealership. So you don’t have to worry about the logistics.
And there’s no additional expense, other than the ED option cost….that and your personal travel costs. Had it not been for Covid, we’d have gone that route.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I guess I'll need to read up on it. Seems a bit weird, if they ship it over to your dealer why do you even need to go pick it up?

Anyway, I'll read up on it, I had just assumed you would be responsible for the freight.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I guess I'll need to read up on it. Seems a bit weird, if they ship it over to your dealer why do you even need to go pick it up?

Anyway, I'll read up on it, I had just assumed you would be responsible for the freight.
You don’t NEED to, it’s an experience to do it so they give you the option. IIRC it doesn’t cost any extra because you are then technically importing a used car which is cheaper for auto manufacturer.

·
Registered
66 Posts
And there’s no additional expense, other than the ED option cost….that and your personal travel costs. Had it not been for Covid, we’d have gone that route.
There is no "ED option cost" to the customer. If you look on the configurator, it is $0. However, the dealer does get charged a few thousand dollars for the fact that the customer is doing ED. And then on the flipside (perhaps to reward the dealer), the dealer gets an extra allocation. Of which the profit from that extra car will more than make up for that chargeback cost.

And yes, there's no extra cost to you for shipping the car back. It is included in the ED experience. Basically they just stick the car back into the whatever shipping pipeline they have when you are done travelling around in Europe.

Think of it this way:

Without ED:

[car gets manufactured] -> [car goes to shipping port] -> [shipped] -> [arrives at your north american dealer]

With ED:

[car get manufactured in Zuffenhausen or Leipzig] -> [car goes to ED delivery center in Zuffenhausen or Leipzig] -> [you pick up the car from there] -> [you drive the car around Europe for x weeks and then drop it back off to Zuffenhausen or Leipzig] -> [car goes to shipping port] -> [shipped] -> [arrives at your north american dealer]

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
There is no "ED option cost" to the customer. If you look on the configurator, it is $0. However, the dealer does get charged a few thousand dollars for the fact that the customer is doing ED. And then on the flipside (perhaps to reward the dealer), the dealer gets an extra allocation. Of which the profit from that extra car will more than make up for that chargeback cost.

And yes, there's no extra cost to you for shipping the car back. It is included in the ED experience. Basically they just stick the car back into the whatever shipping pipeline they have when you are done travelling around in Europe.

Think of it this way:

Without ED:

[car gets manufactured] -> [car goes to shipping port] -> [shipped] -> [arrives at your north american dealer]

With ED:

[car get manufactured in Zuffenhausen or Leipzig] -> [car goes to ED delivery center in Zuffenhausen or Leipzig] -> [you pick up the car from there] -> [you drive the car around Europe for x weeks and then drop it back off to Zuffenhausen or Leipzig] -> [car goes to shipping port] -> [shipped] -> [arrives at your north american dealer]
You are correct, ED is no charge…. I was thinking PEC delivery.

·
Registered
2002 Honda S2000
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #196 ·
Have not heard how many allocations coming for Canada but after 14 months waiting I did finally receive my allocation 2 weeks ago on My 718 Boxster GTS 4.0 ! with a build starting in January 2023, Looks like Things may be starting to open up a bit !
Congrats! There's hope for us all!

·
Registered
2002 Honda S2000
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #199 ·
Thanks ! Sold my 718 Boxster S 14 months ago and never dreamed we would be waiting this long for an Allocation for a build !
I know, right? This whole global supply chain / demand whateverness has really hit us Porsche waiters HARD. (I know, first world problems, but it's MY first world)...I'm hoping yours is the first in a new wave of allocations for Canada....

181 - 200 of 208 Posts