Porsche 718 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
2021 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
1,093 Posts
Welcome and I hope it works out for you. I'm not sure I would have given them a deposit without an allocation. You are giving them an interest free loan for a year or more without a guarantee that you will get a car. I suppose it depends upon the dealer. Mine only asks for money when Porsche confirms that my car will be built.

FYI, you can change colours, options up until the lock date, which will occur several weeks to months after the order is confirmed.

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Hey Everyone...newest member of the waiting club here. I put in a deposit and signed the bill of sale on Jul 12. The SA told me I'm 8th in line and is not sure when (or no. of) the allocations are coming in. I ordered the race yellow.
Welcome aboard, we are in for a wait for sure. Post more details about your spec.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Welcome and I hope it works out for you. I'm not sure I would have given them a deposit without an allocation. You are giving them an interest free loan for a year or more without a guarantee that you will get a car. I suppose it depends upon the dealer. Mine only asks for money when Porsche confirms that my car will be built.

FYI, you can change colours, options up until the lock date, which will occur several weeks to months after the order is confirmed.
Maybe in a perfect world at Pfaff I had to put down $5k.

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
Same, 5K, Western Canada.
As my order has been acknowledged by Porsche Canada, I feel a refundable 5K deposit is reasonable. Times have changed.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yes I suppose your are right. Different world now. I imagine that this limits customers from getting on waiting lists at multiple dealers.
I expect that's the case, I didn't know anything about the back log, delays, possibility of not getting a car etc before putting down a deposit. Now knowing what number in line I am I wonder if I shouldn't shop but I'm not doing another $5k, so I'd say the tactic is working.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Welcome aboard, we are in for a wait for sure. Post more details about your spec.
Hey P_Coastal, here's what I spec'ed:
  • Manual, stock satin wheel, racing yellow
  • Leather/Race-tex..Leather dash, doors but the steering wheel, gear lever "shroud" in race-tex
  • Dials incl. sport chrono stopwatch, seatbelts in racing yellow
  • 18-way adjustable seats
  • Other creature comforts like heated steering wheel, Bose system, Light design pack, LCA, folding mirrors, smartphone compartment
The GTS 4.0 is great with stock options (performance-wise) and didn't see the point of adding stuff I didn't need/want. 2 other delaers close to me laughed at my options and said the "factory" would prioritize someone else with 20-30k in options. Went to another dealer instead and was not forced one bit to beef up the options.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I’m new to this forum and this is my first post. I feel super fortunate that I’m potentially getting my Boxster GTS 4.0 next week. My timeline:
  • ordered my car on Sept 11, 2021 in Calgary. Was told I was #2 on the list. First time ordering a Porsche. Never owned one before, so had no prior relationship with this dealership.
  • got a call in January 2022 with the good news about getting an allocation. My SA asked me if I still wanted the car. I told him: Absolutely!!! But why ask me that question? He said that the waiting list has gotten so long that they are anticipating a 30 month wait for Boxsters. For Q1 they only got ONE allocation for a Boxster and also ONE allocation for a 911 (a Carrera Cab RWD, even though they have a list a mile long of much higher spec’ed 911’s). I was the super lucky guy to get that only allocation of the Boxster.
  • March 2022: my lock date
  • Mid June 2022: arrived in Halifax (a month late based on the initial timeline, likely because of Ukraine)
  • hopefully next week the car will arrive at the dealer (also 2 weeks slower than normal based on when it got to Halifax).
I’ll post pics when it arrives.

·
Registered
2021 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
1,093 Posts
Congrats, it's nice to hear of things working out for someone. I would think that a thirty month wait probably translates to getting an electric car. I don't think that they will be building ICE 718's in July 2024.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Question about order changes. If I have an order in with a dealer is it best to update the dealer as I want changes? Or just wait until the allocation gets assigned?
My only concern is if I wait until the allocation is assigned could my changes remove me from my current position?

·
Registered
2021 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
1,093 Posts
Porsche doesn't care about options you have selected and won't until the allocation is assigned and the build schedule is prepared. Your "order" is with the dealer and there should be no problems making whatever changes you want, provided it isn't something like PTS. However, dealers seem to be getting more picky these days and your current position is with the dealer. There is NO requirement for them to assign allocations in the order they came in.

You will have lots of time to make changes after you get the allocation. After you get to V200 status, there will be a schedule with a "V250 Vehicle fixed" date, after which no changes can be made. It's generally a couple of months after V200. I see no advantage to informing the dealer now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Potentially good news for those waiting for 718 GTS 4.0 cars. I was interested in getting an EV Macan, but told my SA that they have been significantly delayed. Instead of next year, it’s now well into 2024 and potentially more. Likely the EV replacement for 718’s will also be significantly delayed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Potentially good news for those waiting for 718 GTS 4.0 cars. I was interested in getting an EV Macan, but told my SA that they have been significantly delayed. Instead of next year, it’s now well into 2024 and potentially more. Likely the EV replacement for 718’s will also be significantly delayed.

Seems like a silver lining. I’ll be picking up a 2022 brz on a 2 year lease anytime now. Will use it as training wheels before the GTS. The plan was to order the GTS Q1 next year for a 2024, but I jumped on it early. FOMO I guess LOL.

·
Registered
60 Posts
For my Canadian friends...please explain what would prevent you from getting an allocation from an American dealership...and importing the car to Canada.
Probably nothing other than additional costs. The import fees, duties, taxes etc. would be higher doing that than buying here. Also for some reason it's more expensive to buy certain vehicles in the US than it is in Canada, the Cayman being one of them (when considering conversion). So yes you can absolutely do it but for the cost it's maybe not worth it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
For my Canadian friends...please explain what would prevent you from getting an allocation from an American dealership...and importing the car to Canada.
We get Porsches for a significant discount relative to the US. Todays exchange rate is about $1.30 CAD to $1 USD, but Porsche uses a conversion rate of approximately 1.10. For instance that means the Boxster GTS 4.0 should cost $120k CAD (based on converting the US price), but we pay only $101,200. I’ve included the prices of both the US and Canadian Porsche websites for the GTS cars. Therefore, you are better off paying above MSRP for a used Canadian car than buying from the US and have all the headaches associated with bringing it across the border.
Car Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Vehicle
Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Vehicle Car

·
Registered
77 Posts
When you consider the taxes we pay (15% in BC) the price becomes closer to US pricing. Another thing to consider for us Canadians is the new luxury tax to be imposed by the feds on September 1st. Any car purchased after that will be subject to a luxury tax of 20% of the amount the price exceeds 100 K, so a 120 K car will pay 20% of 20K or an additional 4K. A 200K car will pay an additional 20K. Makes you want to keep the configuration under 100 K. If the delivery of my car gets pushed into September it will cost me.

·
Registered
60 Posts
When you consider the taxes we pay (15% in BC) the price becomes closer to US pricing. Another thing to consider for us Canadians is the new luxury tax to be imposed by the feds on September 1st. Any car purchased after that will be subject to a luxury tax of 20% of the amount the price exceeds 100 K, so a 120 K car will pay 20% of 20K or an additional 4K. A 200K car will pay an additional 20K. Makes you want to keep the configuration under 100 K. If the delivery of my car gets pushed into September it will cost me.
I read about how that new tax works and it's even worse than I thought. You are right at $120k it's an extra $4,000 but the way that gets applied they essentially make the MSRP $124,000 and then charge you the base tax on the $124,000. Shouldn't be surprised there isn't much our gov't loves more than tax on taxes.

·
Registered
2021 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
1,093 Posts
I don't think Porsche converts USD to $CAD when they set the price here. They are a German company, why would they? The prices vary according to whatever mysterious factors Porsche uses in different markets, and of course to the taxes in each country. You can see it in the prices for cars in the various European countries, all in Euros. A CGTS 4.0 is Germany 86,241 Euros, while the same car in the Netherlands starts at 138,829 Euros.

41 - 60 of 115 Posts