Porsche 718 Forum banner
61 - 80 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Many European countries have hidden taxes, so prices vary country to country (even in the same currency). I remember many years ago when the Canadian dollar was stronger than the USD, and many Canadians were upset at Porsche and other car makers for not adjusting their prices down, because it became significantly cheaper to buy a car from the US. Obviously no one is complaining now.
Fortunately I’m in Alberta, so no PST nonsense. But from what I know about the BC PST is that it is unavoidable. Even used cars, and to top it off they add an extra 5% in private sales to make it comparable from to buying from a dealer. Plus being German made there will be 6.1% duty. This is why It’s very rare to see a US Porsche in Canada. Probably better for Americans to buy from Canada.

·
Registered
197 Posts
When you consider the taxes we pay (15% in BC) the price becomes closer to US pricing. Another thing to consider for us Canadians is the new luxury tax to be imposed by the feds on September 1st. Any car purchased after that will be subject to a luxury tax of 20% of the amount the price exceeds 100 K, so a 120 K car will pay 20% of 20K or an additional 4K. A 200K car will pay an additional 20K. Makes you want to keep the configuration under 100 K. If the delivery of my car gets pushed into September it will cost me.
When importing to Canada there will be tax to pay also-the GST of 5% and a duty of 6.1% unless the CETA trade agreement is finally in force for German vehicles (I’m not sure).
Also the vehicle has to be inspected to make sure it meets Canadian standards -daytime running lights need to be activated, speedometer in Kms (the digital speedo will suffice).
Canadian Tire of all places is an official inspector for the RIV (registrar of imported vehicles).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Took delivery of my Boxster GTS 4.0 yesterday. The car is well beyond my expectations. The engine and exhaust are amazing. Maybe because I’m no longer a teenager, I’m more than happy with how the stock exhaust sounds. I really hope everyone here who has ordered one will get one soon. It was definitely worth the wait. Ended up being 2 months lates based on the original timeline from the time I was given my allocation (Jan 2022).
My licence plate wasn’t ready, so they let me borrow the dealer plate for a couple of days.

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
Took delivery of my Boxster GTS 4.0 yesterday. The car is well beyond my expectations. The engine and exhaust are amazing. Maybe because I’m no longer a teenager, I’m more than happy with how the stock exhaust sounds. I really hope everyone here who has ordered one will get one soon. It was definitely worth the wait. Ended up being 2 months lates based on the original timeline from the time I was given my allocation (Jan 2022).
My licence plate wasn’t ready, so they let me borrow the dealer plate for a couple of days.

View attachment 44756 View attachment 44757 View attachment 44758
Congratulations! Another BEAUTIFUL Boxster GTS 4.0! Enjoy it!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks guys. I only had it for 18 hours before I had to drop it off to get a full wrap. Won’t have it back till Thursday. Already missing the car.
I had asked the business office guy at the Calgary Dealer how many GTS 4.0 cars they have gotten this year so far, and he said: very few, about 3-4. Allocations going forward are only slightly better than the last 6-9 months, but still well below normal. Hopefully it will continue to improve for everyone here waiting.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks guys. I only had it for 18 hours before I had to drop it off to get a full wrap. Won’t have it back till Thursday. Already missing the car.
I had asked the business office guy at the Calgary Dealer how many GTS 4.0 cars they have gotten this year so far, and he said: very few, about 3-4. Allocations going forward are only slightly better than the last 6-9 months, but still well below normal. Hopefully it will continue to improve for everyone here waiting.
That's not toooo bad. If I'm "eighth" (or the SA could be full of :poop:) in line, my guess is I may get an allocation in round 2 next year 🤔.

·
Registered
29 Posts
@KneeDrager Going to depend entirely on the dealership. Seems like some are getting many allocations while some are getting one a year. Not sure if it's better to be second at a small dealership or 20th at a big one.
I wonder what is considered a "big" dealership, here in Canada. I know the king-kong of them all is Pfaff in Toronto (they say they are the biggest dealership in North America), but maybe you can't always tell by the population size of the city in which the dealership is located. For example, in Ottawa, the population is 1 million. In London (Ontario), the population is 400,000 - but the dealership seems quite a bit larger than the one in Ottawa. Ottawa's dealership is putting up a new building as we speak, though, so maybe that is just temporary.

Anyway, your question is valid. And I'm not sure what the answer is.

·
Registered
60 Posts
@alavigne Regarding the dealers who knows, pretty sure the info isn't made public. I have my order in at Pfaff though, I know I'm far down on the list but I expect they'll get more allocation than any other dealer.

This wasn't even a conscious decision, I didn't join this board nor did I really know the situation with the cars prior to ordering. I went to Pfaff because it's the closest dealership to where I live.

·
Registered
2021 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
1,093 Posts
I wonder what is considered a "big" dealership, here in Canada. I know the king-kong of them all is Pfaff in Toronto (they say they are the biggest dealership in North America), but maybe you can't always tell by the population size of the city in which the dealership is located. For example, in Ottawa, the population is 1 million. In London (Ontario), the population is 400,000 - but the dealership seems quite a bit larger than the one in Ottawa. Ottawa's dealership is putting up a new building as we speak, though, so maybe that is just temporary.

Anyway, your question is valid. And I'm not sure what the answer is.
The Ottawa dealership (Mark Motors) is currently in a small building but they punch above their weight. They run a GT3 Cup race team and get more allocations for special cars (GT's, etc) than their building size might suggest. Having said that, my understanding is that they are also starved for allocations. I got the only Cayman GTS 4.0 in 2020 and I don't think they have received too many since.

Don't know if you saw it before the Audi dealership moved out of the smaller of the two buildings. That was really crowded.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Snooped your car at Cars & Coffee last night. :love:

·
Registered
2002 Honda S2000
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
New member in GTA, don't have access to private message Lukesward but here's my details.

Ordered Oct 2021 Cayman GTS 4.0, no allocation still. I'm start to think it would be lucky to even get one in 2023 😂
Thanks! Yeah, holding out for 2023 is about what we are all doing…..but it sure is grim. Fingers crossed for you. I can at least add you to my sad Canadian tracker :)

~ Luke

61 - 80 of 115 Posts