Porsche 718 Forum banner
81 - 100 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just an FYI, as I saw someone in the UK saying that certain options were removed from their build because of chip shortages. If you look at the car builder right now you can't select the Bose audio nor the LED headlights. So if you end up getting an allocation shortly you may be without those features.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Finally picked up my S today, that was after getting the allocation last November. So they are still building cars but be prepared to wait. If I had to do it over I would have spent that waiting time looking for a used Cayman that was suitably speced
That's crazy I knew it took a while to get an allocation, I didn't think it took 10 months to get the car once the allocation was assigned. Based on that I doubt anyone who orders now (or who did recently) even gets a car before they go full EV.

·
Registered
77 Posts
That's crazy I knew it took a while to get an allocation, I didn't think it took 10 months to get the car once the allocation was assigned. Based on that I doubt anyone who orders now (or who did recently) even gets a car

before they go full EV.
Yep. Car finished end of June. Sat in Enden for a month. 10 days on the boat. Sat in Halifax for another 2 weeks, 10 days by rail, then 6 days at the dealer, so 2 plus months after completion before delivery. On the west coast we have the longest waits.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Those on this thread may have already seen it on the US GTS allocations thread (2022 Allocations Thread - GTS4.0 in particular (US)), but in case you have not, here's a newer, more current version of the spreadsheet @lukesward posted months ago.

Font Rectangle Material property Parallel Number

In addition to being up to date, we've added some columns that give everyone a sense of how long people are waiting for allocations, and from there to getting their orders actually delivered to them. It is quite interesting browsing the data...

·
Registered
19 Posts
I put a deposit down in March 2021 for a Cayman GTS, still no allocation. I knew it would take a while, but now I'm really getting concerned that production will end before I get my turn. It's frustrating to see other posts of people waiting ~6mo for allocations and getting their cars. The dealership never has much information to offer, and point to corporate dolling out information monthly.

@lukesward your question is interesting. My dealer said they hadn't received any new allocations for GTS's since December. I have also since been told that they're not getting any more 718 Spyder allocations (GT4 still open).

I keep thinking I need to jump ship but everything else I care about is a year+ out anyways and I don't want to start over.
I was actually told by my sales rep that if you don’t have 50K worth of options you will wait a long time. They take the orders with the most options first! Options are the most profitable ! And with the shortage of chips, they have to be selective ! All about profits!!! Unfortunately!!!

·
Registered
198 Posts
I was actually told by my sales rep that if you don’t have 50K worth of options you will wait a long time. They take the orders with the most options first! Options are the most profitable ! And with the shortage of chips, they have to be selective ! All about profits!!! Unfortunately!!!
I don't blame dealers really for this move, even though I see it from both sides and feel for the customer. When allocations are slim, logically the dealer would want to max profit on each unit. Maybe in normal days they got 10x 718's a year, now they're getting 2 (just for example).

Friends of mine who work for Toyota tell me it's the same thing there, Toyota wants to sell the max profit models, not the base.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
I had been on three different allocation lists for several months....with not so much as a hello. Finally decided to plead my case in person with our local OPC. He really perked up when I went over $35K in options...would have been closer to $45K had PCCB's still been available. A week later the SA called and said I had moved up to first on the list and two months later received an allocation and paid the deposit. I sense without all the options, there's a 99% chance I'd still be pounding sand.

Reactions: JBM718GTS

·
Registered
29 Posts
I don't blame dealers really for this move, even though I see it from both sides and feel for the customer. When allocations are slim, logically the dealer would want to max profit on each unit. Maybe in normal days they got 10x 718's a year, now they're getting 2 (just for example).

Friends of mine who work for Toyota tell me it's the same thing there, Toyota wants to sell the max profit models, not the base.
I understand the above logic, but if you've ordered with a dealer, say.... more than a year ago.... and if the fact that having to max your options out to make it possible for you to actually get the car isn't brought up at that time, then it is rather unfair to impose it way later, after the fact.... especially when there are long waitlists everywhere (ie - you can't just jump ship). For new customers -- since you are telling them upfront, they can then make the choice right then and there as to whether or not they want to do business with you.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Can't consumers just game the allocation system? You put in an order with a dealer with every option in the book. When the allocation gets assigned you can change your build at that point to whatever you like. The order is with the dealer, the allocation is with Porsche so I don't see them taking it away from you.

81 - 100 of 115 Posts