Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone
I recently found a 718 GTS on sale and went there for a test drive.
The options on the car suit my preference. When we started the negotiation, the salesman told me the car was from the Porsche experience center.
Even the salesman kept saying the car is CPP. I am concerned about the car's condition: the brake disc looks like it has been used hard since it was equipped on the car, but that is understandable consider where it from. No Carfax report is provided by the dealer.
I have asked a car mechanic (not from this dealer) to check the car next week. Is there anything else I should concern about before I make the purchase?

·
Registered
801 Posts
THEY have the proper break in
We took delivery in April, 2019 at the Atlanta PEC. That included 1.5 hours of track time, in one of the center's Boxsters with a pro driver. This is what we observed and learned.

The cars appear to be meticulously maintained. Our pro driver told us they need to replace the tires every 500 miles and immediately repair any damage. I do not know about any extra oil changes, etc.

The cars are continuously driven to the max. One of the things we each did two or three times was full throttle acceleration on a straight stretch and then full brakes just soon enough not to run off the straight away. The exercise was clearly to demonstrate the incredible breaking ability (and it indeed did). We also had multiple exercises on various skid pads so the suspensions are seriously worked. These exercises allowed us to recover from a mechanically induced skid at the edge of the pad and another vividly demonstrated over/under-steer. I learned to do donuts in this exercise. In other words, these brand new cars are driven and worked really hard continuously from the start.

I do not think the statement above that they do a proper break in is correct. I perceive there is no effort to break in the car as specified in the manual. First, I cannot see Porsche spending the time and money to drive each car of their large fleet the specified RPM for the 2000(?) miles specified in the manual prior to using them as demonstrators on the track. Additionally, when I asked our pro driver about break in for my car, he stated "no break in is needed, it is done at the factory". I smiled but thought then and still think this was BS. The manual clearly states the break in regimen and that is very different from what I was told.

In my opinion, to buy one of these cars, for me, the price would have to be REALLY right and I would need to have no expectation of keeping the car for many years or putting a lot of miles on it.

·
Registered
2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6-speed
653 Posts
Hello everyone
I recently found a 718 GTS on sale and went there for a test drive.
The options on the car suit my preference. When we started the negotiation, the salesman told me the car was from the Porsche experience center.
Even the salesman kept saying the car is CPP. I am concerned about the car's condition: the brake disc looks like it has been used hard since it was equipped on the car, but that is understandable consider where it from. No Carfax report is provided by the dealer.
I have asked a car mechanic (not from this dealer) to check the car next week. Is there anything else I should concern about before I make the purchase?
In late 2019 I considered a 1 year old 2018 991.2 GTS the had been used at the Atlanta Experience Center. Porsche flooded the market with 10-12 identically specced ones, all Racing Yellow, manual transmission, PCCB's, PDDC, etc. They had MSRP's of $144k and were being sold at $105k to $119k depending upon the dealer and mileage (6k to 11k). It looked like a good deal....until I started digging.

I was discouraged from the purchase by several factors: None of those cars came with a CPO warranty, and none of the dealers that I talked to would add a CPO warranty even if I paid the extra cost. Several responded that the cars did not qualify. One dealer was honest enough to provide the DME report which showed over revs in Stage 3. The local dealer that I had ordered my 2014 Cayman S from flatly refuses to take PEC cars for resale because of the way the cars have been driven, and the risk to the dealership reputation if something goes wrong. The sales manager is a former Porsche racing driving instructor, so that told me something.

As for proper break in, I can unequivocally say they don't get any. The Porsche instructors that came from Atlanta for promotional track day events at Summit Point a few years ago confirmed that these cars go straight from the factory to the track. I drove a Carrera S that had 700 miles on the odometer and a Macan GTS that had under 500.

If you are seriously interested in getting this car, I'd make absolutely sure it is getting a full CPO warranty and not just the balance of the OEM factory warranty. I would also ask for a DME report which will show over revs in each stage. Some in stage 1 and a few in stage 2 are OK, but stage 3 or beyond would be a red flag for me, especially since these would likely have come when the car was still in the recommended break in period.

Good luck, but be cautious and prudent.

·
Registered
801 Posts
the DME report which showed over revs in Stage 3
I understood all cars at the PEC are PDK automatic transmissions. I asked to drive a manual as that is what I bought and was hiding under the cover in the glass walled room but they told me everything was auto. So, how does the PDK allow an over rev? Obviously there is something I am unaware of and I am really curious about it.

·
Registered
202 Posts
My guess is that driven hard accelerates inevitable wear to the usual wear parts including suspension, all rotating parts (for example alt and wheel bearings), water-oil-fuel pumps, brake pads and rotors, various filters, etc. Unlikely car will collapse during warranty since most of its life is spent outside warranty. Just seems to be asking for it to buy a wrung out car....:unsure: unless you get a monster discount.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I understood all cars at the PEC are PDK automatic transmissions.
Maybe this just happened to be a at that particular time thing. That kind of sucks if they offer no manual cars ever.

During my Porsche dealer inventory search in 2019, I came across located on the east coast a low mileage very highly spec'd CPO 718 GTS manual in Miami blue with PCCBs and sport tex seats but pretty much no comfort and convenience options. I made an offer on it but was turned down and it sold shortly after. I was talking to a sales person in Monterey store about it and he was pretty confident it was a PEC car. I have no proof that it was but he told me the process in which dealers obtain them is that PCNA puts them up for bid for the dealerships when they are done with them. They are usually highly performance spec'd in bright colors. Then the dealers can CPO them if they want after they buy them. They are meticulously maintained but also driven very hard.

·
Registered
2021 718
79 Posts
I did the Porsche Experience in Atlanta last year. It was amazingly fun but I’ve never driven my car in that manner and I wouldn’t want to buy one that had been on a daily basis!

·
Registered
2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6-speed
653 Posts
I understood all cars at the PEC are PDK automatic transmissions. I asked to drive a manual as that is what I bought and was hiding under the cover in the glass walled room but they told me everything was auto. So, how does the PDK allow an over rev? Obviously there is something I am unaware of and I am really curious about it.
First, they absolutely have manual transmission cars at PEC, as several of their experience packages are specific to manuals. If you just went there as part of the delivery program, they may limit that to PDK. All of the 991.2 GTS’s they we’re selling through dealers in late 2019 were manuals.

Second, I don’t know if and how a PDK gets over revved. In a manual it’s typically downshifting at too high of revs, but that may be prohibited in a PDK. That said, I believe someone in another forum indicated PDK over revving is possible and saw a DME report that showed faults.

·
Registered
2022 Cayman T Guards Red
519 Posts
I drove both a base Cayman and a GTS 4.0 at PEC ATL about a year ago. I wanted to drive MT version's of both but was told they didn't have them. I was also told that too many clutches and transmissions had been damaged by people so they only offered PDK now. Later on while talking with my instructor I believe he did say they had a few manuals but cannot remember exactly what he said. I think the decision to only have PDK was somewhat recent and that maybe all the MTs had not cycled out yet but I'm just speculating. I was specifically told when scheduling that there were no manual cars available and that they would no longer be available.

·
Registered
801 Posts
You guys act like you’re not going to drive the car hard yourselves anyway 🤣
You are almost certainly correct. I do not track my manual Boxster and I am certainly not going to entertain a public street race. Yet, as I have previously stated, the acceleration after a sudden downshift and lots of throttle, with the visual of the car I am very quickly passing or the needle being threaded, gives me a very pleasureful dopamine release. I also like taking corners with a healthy measure of speed. These are not regular events and, overall, do not make for a hard driven car. However, the capability of doing this and doing it whenever it feels good to do so makes for an experience with my Boxster that no Z3/Z4/M BMW could ever provide.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Having been to PEC Atl I would not want to buy one of those cars. They are flogged to the max all day every day. Hard launch after hard launch and then 100% brake pressure repeatedly. Plenty of other non-PEC cars out there.

·
Registered
135 Posts
However, the capability of doing this and doing it whenever it feels good to do so makes for an experience with my Boxster that no Z3/Z4/M BMW could ever provide.
Coming from a manual 3.0 z4 (first gen) with proper m sport suspension for more than 6 years with track days and 80k km with always half way turned off dsc, yearly driven in big snow too, this statement is not true.

The gts 4.0 boxster is a better car in every aspect (its the reason i switched) , but they are much closer to each other for fun factor than the people think . The first gen z4 is a heavily underrated car imho.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts