Porsche 718 Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Hi Dan. Having been told that my car may well not arrive until late July due to the major bottleneck at and near Emden despite having left the factory on 15 June, I’ve decided to just try to put it to the back of my mind and forget about it until handover is much nearer. Looks like it could be almost ten months from order to handover and five months behind the originally promised delivery date.

Although the fitting of a tracker makes no difference to my insurance premiums quoted, I may still sign up for the PCC option for the first year at least and take it from there.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi Graham. Sad to hear you're still not getting closer to delivery. Surely your OPC should be looking after you as appropriate given its almost 10 months since order.

I hope all turns out well. Keep us posted.

VBR. Dan

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Hi Graham. Sad to hear you're still not getting closer to delivery. Surely your OPC should be looking after you as appropriate given its almost 10 months since order.

I hope all turns out well. Keep us posted.

VBR. Dan
I would have thought so too, Dan, but, although my OPC and Porsche UK have been apologetic, nothing at all has been offered in reponse to my request for a temporary loan car and/or financial adjustment.

Is your car any nearer handover?

VBR, Graham

·
Registered
86 Posts
Likewise. I've still not had confirmation its arrived in the UK and its been 4 days since it left Emden. Could be stuck in customs over the weekend though.

I am hoping that I get a call towards the back of the week saying its arrived at the dealership but am not hedging my bets.:cautious:

To be honest I'm a little disappointed I've not been kept up to speed without having to prompt the dealership. When I worked in car sales, I used to update the customer at every change point so they were aware. Now as Porsches are enthusiasts cars (more often than not), you'd have thought that they'd understand we are very much impatient kids when it comes to our cars. I for one am a proper info nerd. I like to know how everything is done using what techniques and how long it takes. I was a nightmare at the Bentley factory tour!.

I really do hope that yours gets on a boat soon Graham.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Likewise. I've still not had confirmation its arrived in the UK and its been 4 days since it left Emden. Could be stuck in customs over the weekend though.

I am hoping that I get a call towards the back of the week saying its arrived at the dealership but am not hedging my bets.:cautious:

To be honest I'm a little disappointed I've not been kept up to speed without having to prompt the dealership. When I worked in car sales, I used to update the customer at every change point so they were aware. Now as Porsches are enthusiasts cars (more often than not), you'd have thought that they'd understand we are very much impatient kids when it comes to our cars. I for one am a proper info nerd. I like to know how everything is done using what techniques and how long it takes. I was a nightmare at the Bentley factory tour!.

I really do hope that yours gets on a boat soon Graham.
That sounds much more optimistic, Dan. May you get that call soon and me too. I’m very like you in being keen to know as much info as possible - partly down to my F1 reporting and car testing background - and it’s been surprising and disappointing for both of us that updates have not been freely forthcoming, but only when chased. Still, let’s so look forward to what should not be too far away now.

BTW I think Audi UK maybe have it wrong when the map shows Sue’s A1 has been built in Brussels and transferred to Emden for shipment. They transferred all A1 production from Brussels to Martorell, near Barcelona in 2018. Heyho, we’ll get there on all fronts in the end.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Well they said that Cayman and Boxster production was moved to Osnabruck but mine is a Stuttgart car so I come to the conclusion not to believe everything I'm told.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Yes, I think mine’s a Stuttgart car too. Maybe they didn’t transfer all 718 production.

Re the A1, Audi UK has said it was built in Brussels whilst the dealership has said it was built in Martorell, Spain! I think the latter is right as Audi switched production as the first generation ended in Brussels and the new shape second one started to be built In Spain, so a clean break. Not really worried where it has been built as long as it’s fine when it arrives, although avoiding Emden at the moment might help.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
As with my wife’s A1, I guess that as long as the car’s well built and pristine I’m not too worried which factory it has come from.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
As with my wife’s A1, I guess that as long as the car’s well built and pristine I’m not too worried which factory it has come from.
Just had confirmation that mine was built at Zuffenhausen too.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I fully can appreciate and understand the frustration you all must be feeling. I ordered mine early Sept (or was that August?) with an estimated delivery in Nov. I had only had a week to spec and lock it in but a mix up with the build slot happened and it was pushed by a month. Delivery then set for late Nov, then early Dec and finally arrive just before NYE and collection on Jan 03rd.

Granted my delays were not as long as yours but I have to say, the day you do get it, all that frustration and time spent wondering about it washes away completely - at least it did for me. So hang in there, rewatch some youtube vids and try to put it out of mind even for a day or two.

And might I add, don't rush them on turning it around ASAP. Best they do a proper PDI and do take the time to go through it yourself. The last thing you want is picking up a delayed vehicle and finding they rushed the prep. It will 100% ruin the experience. Amazing what a day or two more will do for the retailer to do it right and you to get it delivered correctly. ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I fully can appreciate and understand the frustration you all must be feeling. I ordered mine early Sept (or was that August?) with an estimated delivery in Nov. I had only had a week to spec and lock it in but a mix up with the build slot happened and it was pushed by a month. Delivery then set for late Nov, then early Dec and finally arrive just before NYE and collection on Jan 03rd.

Granted my delays were not as long as yours but I have to say, the day you do get it, all that frustration and time spent wondering about it washes away completely - at least it did for me. So hang in there, rewatch some youtube vids and try to put it out of mind even for a day or two.

And might I add, don't rush them on turning it around ASAP. Best they do a proper PDI and do take the time to go through it yourself. The last thing you want is picking up a delayed vehicle and finding they rushed the prep. It will 100% ruin the experience. Amazing what a day or two more will do for the retailer to do it right and you to get it delivered correctly. ;)
Many thanks for your support and advice. I feel Dan and I have both been through the worst now, with handover getting ever closer and the initial excitement, which then turned to frustration, has now returned to being pre-delivery excitement again. Rest assured the General Sales Manager at my OPC, who is updating me personally, well knows I so want the car to be pristine after such a long wait and want them to take their time PDIing and preparing it for handover.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Decided to change my username to F1G with this being my first F1 reporting weekend of the delayed season. Austria’s Red Bull Ring is one of my favourite circuits to report from, but sadly not there in person this time round due to the severe restrictions on media attending as well as fans.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts