Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
I have a base Cayman on order, but no confirmed build date yet. A couple of days ago, I opened my build in the configurator and a message came up saying that the option Adaptive Cruise Control no longer was available. I checked a couple of other countries configurators (I'm from Sweden) and for some (US included) it was still available, but for some, e.g. Germany and UK it was also unavailable.

What can be the reason for this? Is this something that is common in the Porsche world. Any ideas what it will mean for my order? I suspect it will mean, I will just have to skip it. For me it's not a big deal - it was one of the options I was on the fence about anyway. I'm sure I can find some other things to spend the money on :)

I have reached out to my sales guy at Porsche, and he said he would look into it. But I haven't heard back from him yet.

Also, I noticed that in some countries that the manual gearbox was not available. That is probably a bigger deal for some.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm building a PDK so the gearbox option is not an issue for me. The ACC option is completely missing whether it's an existing build or a new one. The regular cruise control is still available, though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
maybe its now standard?
Maybe. But it's still possible to option "Cruise Control", which is a lot cheaper than the ACC was.
I just looked at the 911, there ACC is still possible. Maybe it's not an enough popular 718 option in certain markets for Porsche to provide it anymore? I can't recall seeing it on any used Caymans here in Sweden.

Like I said before, wonder what implications it will have on my placed but not yet planned to be built order. It's definitely not a deal breaker for me so I'm not too worried. The only thing is that need to make sure I get the basic cruise control at least.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Hi there fellow Swede :)
Base and S apparently cant be ordered with cruise control in Sweden, but GTS 4,0 can but no ACC on any of them.
Either it is a typo or Porsche that decided it is anunnecessary option.
To be fair, i have only seen 2-3 Boxtser/Caymans with ACC

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi there fellow Swede :)
Base and S apparently cant be ordered with cruise control in Sweden, but GTS 4,0 can but no ACC on any of them.
Either it is a typo or Porsche that decided it is anunnecessary option.
To be fair, i have only seen 2-3 Boxtser/Caymans with ACC
Hi there :)
Yeah, doesn't seem to be a popular option. Well, it will be interesting to see what it means for my order. I have already paid deposit etc. If I can't get it, i'm sure I can find some other goodies in the configurator :)

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I had on on my second 718 but rarely used it, the auto brake i tested out once.
With a feather light touch on the brake, full force is applied!

I can give a tip and thats is the lane change assistence.
It is a wonderful system that also feels how fast a car is approaching so it adjusts accordingly.
Also if you pass a car slowly it also reacts and gives you a heads up.

But it does not not warn you if you change lane, thank god for that!
(Hates Volvo)

Good Luck and dont forget to keep us posted :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
The configurators for North America are usually the last to get updated so don't rely on the fact that it's still on there to mean that one can still order the option. Another thing is that the US configurator keeps cars and options on there pretty much so long as one can still buy a brand new one from inventory at a dealership even though orders have since closed. I think it's just so customers can confirm pricing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The configurators for North America are usually the last to get updated so don't rely on the fact that it's still on there to mean that one can still order the option. Another thing is that the US configurator keeps cars and options on there pretty much so long as one can still buy a brand new one from inventory at a dealership even though orders have since closed. I think it's just so customers can confirm pricing.
Interesting. Sounds plausible. Maybe they start implementing the change on the german site? If that's the case, the manual gearbox could be in trouble since it's not possible to configure a 718 with that in Germany, currently.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update on this: I have spoken to my sales guy. The issue is (of course) Covid related. Sub contractors have problems supplying Porsche with certain parts. So Porsche has prioritized some models and markets.

ACC wouldn't probably be available again until March, and since I have gotten a build date in January, I'm definitely not postponing my delivery over this :)

As I mentioned earlier, I see this a sort of blessing in disguise. I was never really sure about the ACC. So today I promptly instead added: regular cruise control, sport exhaust tips in black, guards red seat belts, embossed Porsche crest on the head rests and aluminium looking fuel cap. This cost was almost exactly the same as the ACC.

I feel pretty good about this so all well that ends well. Now it's just a matter of a long wait until January/February ...

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
...guards red seat belts, embossed Porsche crest on the head rests and aluminium looking fuel cap.
These three options are also must haves in my book, more so than ACC.
If you are driving on twisty enough roads ACC is also worthless ;)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Since you ordered your 718 I wonder what current wait time is? Is it the customary 3 months or longer?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Since you ordered your 718 I wonder what current wait time is? Is it the customary 3 months or longer?
I placed the order in mid August and if all goes as planned it will be delivered in February so in my case it's a 6 months process. I have no idea if this the norm for all orders these days.

As far as I understand it the dealer had no allocations, they "applied" for one when I placed the order and it took a couple of months before they got one. Maybe I could have pushed the dealer a little bit more, but going in to this I just assumed that order process was the same as for most other brands, i.e. you place an order and you get put in a queue and they build the car when it's your turn. I now know otherwise :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks, 6 months is a long time, I better find out how it is on my side of the Atlantic and act accordingly...

.... as a side note in the spring of 2020 I was waiting for delivery of my Macan GTS and the wait was 5 months but during this time Porsche factory was shutdown for I think about 6 weeks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts