Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Porsche 718 Cayman S
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if we have some experiences with adding front grill pieces to your Cayman/Boxster? Does it actually decrease air flow and increase temps?
But my real question is the center area without the radiator. The way its's concaved, it would seem to be a airflow parachute. I was thinking of adding a grill with a piece of black plastic attached to it to make the airflow across the front better? With the mesh in front of the plastic, it would still look grill-like, but actually smoothing out the front of the car.
Input or constructive opinions?

·
Registered
855 Posts
I asked the question before whether anyone had found an aftermarket center replacement that had open slots like the front sides on a base. No response, so I guess there is none. It would take some cutting of the plastic front surface and other ingenious modifications to put a mesh in there. I've installed mesh guards on both front sides and have no change in temps. Opening the middle front with mesh might likely increase air flow and cooling. Whether that is a bad or good thing I do not know.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
I was wondering if we have some experiences with adding front grill pieces to your Cayman/Boxster? Does it actually decrease air flow and increase temps? No
But my real question is the center area without the radiator. The way its's concaved, it would seem to be a airflow parachute. No. There should be no substantial decrease in drag if you cover the slot with a solid cover. Take a tall cylindrical glass and push it through the water in your tub (or your pool) first bottom first and then top first. See whether you discern any difference. View attachment 31008
You'd see some difference if the solid plastic cover in the middle had substantial holes in the back to relieve the overpressure.

·
Registered
2018 Porsche 718 Cayman S
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can purchase the grills from ZunSport or www.radiatorgrillstore.com
But, my center idea was to place something like black plastic panel directly BEHIND and attached to the grill to hopefully clean up the air flow for that front section. Sound plausable?

Probably need someone with some aeronautics engineering expertise. :)

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
I have a PhD in wave hydrodynamics, I think I can confer a passable opinion....

·
Registered
61 Posts
I did mine. I really like it and knowing it could save a radiator or three I think it’s a smart investment.

·
Registered
173 Posts
View attachment 31011 I did mine. I really like it and knowing it could save a radiator or three I think it’s a smart investment.
Looks like a cheese grater to me. Why do you people always have to make it look different. I don't understand the motive behind it, the stock version looks so much better than adding a cheese grater or a Lexus front grill.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Looks like a cheese grater to me. Why do you people always have to make it look different. I don't understand the motive behind it, the stock version looks so much better than adding a cheese grater or a Lexus front grill.
View attachment 31013
View attachment 31012
I happen to like it on the Cayman. The Lexus looks like crap. That I can agree with. Different strokes for different folks.

·
Registered
2020 Cayman S, MT
65 Posts
It’s not about the look. It is about protecting the heat exchangers from being punctured by road debris. And it isn’t a theoretical problem either.
yup exactly. mine are barely noticeable. in this pic you can spot the 2nd from the lower left is missing, for comparison. the ones in the shade on the right side are not visible. they're definitely worth it even to prevent leaves from collecting in there and reducing efficiency. i have the side ones too from zunsport. its a no-brainer.

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
My first dealer inspection (for a HPDE) after installing my Zunsport grills on the front, the mechanic pointed to the grills and told me I potentially was saving myself about $1,400. You notice on the more expensive Porsches, they come with grills. I do like the look, and added Radiator Grille Store grills to intake scoops on the side (even though I had the stock screen inside), just to make cleaning leaves, etc. out of the scoops easier.

Reactions: Roondog

·
Registered
71 Posts
You notice on the more expensive Porsches, they come with grills.
No.

Only the GT cars come with mesh in front of the heat exchangers.

Every other Porsche from a Base Macan to a 911 TurboS Cabriolet is running around with it’s radiators hanging out like t*t$ on a two-bit street walker.

911 TurboS Cabriolet owners have the same problems as 718 owners and more-expensive heat exchangers.

·
Registered
39 Posts
And why do you continually show up in threads only to rip on what people do? Even better, start threads after someone posts a modification to their car only to talk about how much you hate it? Go drive your car and enjoy it. Spend less time on forums ripping on others. Differences of opinions exist, and it's part of what makes forums great, but I'm honestly surprised at the effort you put into ensuring everyone knows how ridiculous you think they are.

·
Registered
173 Posts
And why do you continually show up in threads only to rip on what people do? Even better, start threads after someone posts a modification to their car only to talk about how much you hate it? Go drive your car and enjoy it. Spend less time on forums ripping on others. Differences of opinions exist, and it's part of what makes forums great, but I'm honestly surprised at the effort you put into ensuring everyone knows how ridiculous you think they are.
I just try to post my opinion not influence other readers on why it's not necessary to change the design of your Porsche.
The takeaway here is for a better understanding of Porsche’s design philosophy, and it’s very interesting to say the least. Whether you like or dislike the styling approach, there’s no denying the uniqueness that sets every Porsche model apart from the rest is by having no mess grill in front. Porsche, in particular, is known across the world for its stunning designs and amazing performance levels. Porsche engineers are very smart and their are reasons the way Porsches are designed that way without us having to change it. Of course there are always company's that will tell say you need this and that to make your Porsche better. It's all up to you, I like my Porsche the way it comes from the factory with Porsches options not after market.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just try to post my opinion not influence other readers on why it's not necessary to change the design of your Porsche.
The takeaway here is for a better understanding of Porsche’s design philosophy, and it’s very interesting to say the least. Whether you like or dislike the styling approach, there’s no denying the uniqueness that sets every Porsche model apart from the rest is by having no mess grill in front. Porsche, in particular, is known across the world for its stunning designs and amazing performance levels. Porsche engineers are very smart and their are reasons the way Porsches are designed that way without us having to change it. Of course there are always company's that will tell say you need this and that to make your Porsche better. It's all up to you, I like my Porsche the way it comes from the factory with Porsches options not after market.
That’s great you like a factory style Porsche. That’s your opinion. Others like to customize their car whether that’s for performance or style. Great thing is we are all different and I for one respect that people take the time and effort to do what they want with their car. Are there gawdy choices people make? Sure but to each their own.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
None of what you stated is not true. The converse to the argument is, unlike some of the other hi-performance brands such as Ferrari and McLaren, Porsche cars are very customizable and it is due in whole to the design approach Porsche has employed. Porsche owners are notorious for modding. There are magazines and businesses devoted to doing that. For some, it's what endears people to the brand. It's been that way since the first 911 was produced.

·
Premium Member
1,314 Posts
None of what you stated is not true. The converse to the argument is, unlike some of the other hi-performance brands such as Ferrari and McLaren, Porsche cars are very customizable and it is due in whole to the design approach Porsche has employed. Porsche owners are notorious for modding. There are magazines and businesses devoted to doing that. For some, it's what endears people to the brand. It's been that way since the first 911 was produced.
And as proof of this... I bought a GT4 so I wouldn't feel I needed to improve things. That lasted about 1 day before ordering the first part! But If I'm honest with myself, it truly started before I took delivery 😉 since I was "Looking" for things to change.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
And as proof of this... I bought a GT4 so I wouldn't feel I needed to improve things. That lasted about 1 day before ordering the first part! But If I'm honest with myself, it truly started before I took delivery 😉 since I was "Looking" for things to change.
I want to add an observation regarding the "Porsche design philosophy". I think Porsche is fully in support of "individualization" as evidenced by their Chinese menu of options. They claim that in any one year practically no two Porsche leave the factory exactly the same in terms of color and options/accessories. They even paint to sample furthering the idea they encourage individualization. As to "performance" mods, much of that comes from tested design in racing and in some cases, Porsche sponsored teams. Porsche finalize a design for production to offer the majority of buyers a product they want/require for the driving experience they expect from the brand. Porsche constantly improve on the designs over the years in terms of styling as well as performance. So they find a better way, which others have the ability to do as well.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts