Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many who have added a SportCat after a tune noticed any significant performance ?
We are all aware of the jump from stock , but what about the jump from tune to sport cat ?
Is it seat of the pants or just a placebo sound effect I wonder.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Good question! Wish I knew the answer. I pulled the Soundaktor right away. I run my car in the custom setting with the exhaust quiet, the engine in Sport + and the suspension in Normal.

I'm not looking for big noises or a hot-rod effect but I like melting the tires now and then for a grin.

I also got a DSC box for my PASM. It's very comfortable and corners FLAT in Normal with no loss of comfort...might be even more comfortable.

Have fun. Stay safe.

:alien:

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
I've done in this order:

1. Soul downpipe with sport cat - noticeable difference in drive ability and power.
2. APR tune - that was like a new car... strongly recommended!
3. BCM filter - incredible addition of sound and noticeable difference in power
4. Due to come in this week, Catless section of the downpipe - I'll report back on any changes that makes.

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
Yea, I also didn’t realize the test pipe tune removes the need for a cat... so I figure I’ll just go further down the rabbit hole.

Next will be a turbo upgrade if I don’t buy a space in a local auto lodge/condo. I love the idea of the lodge community, but not sure I want to drop the coin. The community is full of influential business people that love cars as much as I do, and could be good business networking for my job. Units don’t come available often and you have to be invited to buy. I’m flattered I’ve had two opportunities at a unitS here. I’m a nobody from nowhere thats way out classed by the rest of the owners? I don’t know... maybe it’s a sign?

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Yea, I also didn’t realize the test pipe tune removes the need for a cat... so I figure I’ll just go further down the rabbit hole.

Next will be a turbo upgrade if I don’t buy a space in a local auto lodge/condo. I love the idea of the lodge community, but not sure I want to drop the coin. The community is full of influential business people that love cars as much as I do, and could be good business networking for my job. Units don’t come available often and you have to be invited to buy. I’m flattered I’ve had two opportunities at a unitS here. I’m a nobody from nowhere thats way out classed by the rest of the owners? I don’t know... maybe it’s a sign?
Hoosier:

We've got one of those garage estates nearby called Iron Gate. Quite nice. You buy a condo that's a blank slate with utilities built in. They're very well built with heated floors and good insulation etc. You fix it up anyway you like...but it's as much as a good house and you pay tax on it annually too. My neighbor started Iron Gate. He's a busy boy and is doing very well with it. They're putting up one more building and then it will be completely full. He's done a great job with that place.

They have a common area building in the middle of the place. It's got an extra floor. People display/store their cars in a cool underground sort of space...climate controlled and spotless. I was thinking of renting a space for a Bring a Trailer collector car over there for $250 a month. You get some privileges, like access to the lounge where people come watch races (remember races?) and drink. I could get my feet wet without going all-in....assuming things actually open up again.

The self-storage nearer my house also charges 250 a month for a heated garage with private entrance, It's closer but you're completely on your own there....maybe a benefit? (I'm such a loner these days!) For the same money, I'd rather try Iron Gate to know if I can get along with that crowd. I have very little to gain commercially. I'm trying to get out of business not get in at my stage of life. Phase 1 of getting out is 75% done. I have some side businesses too that need to be solved. Hmmm....

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Hoosier: About your car. You're doing what I did to my '06.

This time, I like the dynamics of the 718 so much, I don't want to mess with it. It's so blasted fast the way it is...and really has a luxe feel inside...with a ride to go along with it..I hate to give all that up!

I drove the car nearly stock (only a sport shifter, some of those triangles that stop that pressure noise when you open the windows, and front grills to protect the radiators. Oh, and a set of winter tires/wheels and a set of Pagid RS29s. I really liked it. I got quarantined for 14 days because we thought my wife might be infected...she wasn't and I wasn't...but in my boredom, I thought WTF and bought both Softronic flash and DSC box and installed them while I was sitting around her...an idle mind...:devilish:.

I plan to keep my GTS a long time. Nothing else in the Porsche pipeline is tempting me. I did the 997.2 911. It didn't make me smile like this Cayman GTS although it was optioned better than this car...and was a year newer.

The new GTS 4.0L may never come over here now. If I really liked that engine, I might trade for one of those...but I'd put adjustable front camber on first thing. I'd probably go buckets and 4 point roll bar again with something like that. Somehow, I don't feel like the 2.5L needs so much camber in front. I'm having so much fun driving it around that I don't really want to create a track weapon out of it. It's got black full leather and Sport+ manual seats....a little more practical for the real world. For now, keeping it like this sounds good to me.

·
Registered
2017 Boxster 718S Graphite Blue
64 Posts
I've done in this order:

1. Soul downpipe with sport cat - noticeable difference in drive ability and power.
4. Due to come in this week, Catless section of the downpipe - I'll report back on any changes that makes.
Did you install down pipe yourself?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
Hoosier:

We've got one of those garage estates nearby called Iron Gate. Quite nice. You buy a condo that's a blank slate with utilities built in. They're very well built with heated floors and good insulation etc. You fix it up anyway you like...but it's as much as a good house and you pay tax on it annually too. My neighbor started Iron Gate. He's a busy boy and is doing very well with it. They're putting up one more building and then it will be completely full. He's done a great job with that place.

They have a common area building in the middle of the place. It's got an extra floor. People display/store their cars in a cool underground sort of space...climate controlled and spotless. I was thinking of renting a space for a Bring a Trailer collector car over there for $250 a month. You get some privileges, like access to the lounge where people come watch races (remember races?) and drink. I could get my feet wet without going all-in....assuming things actually open up again.

The self-storage nearer my house also charges 250 a month for a heated garage with private entrance, It's closer but you're completely on your own there....maybe a benefit? (I'm such a loner these days!) For the same money, I'd rather try Iron Gate to know if I can get along with that crowd. I have very little to gain commercially. I'm trying to get out of business not get in at my stage of life. Phase 1 of getting out is 75% done. I have some side businesses too that need to be solved. Hmmm....

sounds like a very similar setup, with commons area and amenities. Just no gain for anything other than being part of the“club”
Hoosier: About your car. You're doing what I did to my '06.

This time, I like the dynamics of the 718 so much, I don't want to mess with it. It's so blasted fast the way it is...and really has a luxe feel inside...with a ride to go along with it..I hate to give all that up!

I drove the car nearly stock (only a sport shifter, some of those triangles that stop that pressure noise when you open the windows, and front grills to protect the radiators. Oh, and a set of winter tires/wheels and a set of Pagid RS29s. I really liked it. I got quarantined for 14 days because we thought my wife might be infected...she wasn't and I wasn't...but in my boredom, I thought WTF and bought both Softronic flash and DSC box and installed them while I was sitting around her...an idle mind...:devilish:.

I plan to keep my GTS a long time. Nothing else in the Porsche pipeline is tempting me. I did the 997.2 911. It didn't make me smile like this Cayman GTS although it was optioned better than this car...and was a year newer.

The new GTS 4.0L may never come over here now. If I really liked that engine, I might trade for one of those...but I'd put adjustable front camber on first thing. I'd probably go buckets and 4 point roll bar again with something like that. Somehow, I don't feel like the 2.5L needs so much camber in front. I'm having so much fun driving it around that I don't really want to create a track weapon out of it. It's got black full leather and Sport+ manual seats....a little more practical for the real world. For now, keeping it like this sounds good to me.

Agreed, they are perfect. I’ll add that the car is just as civil and quiet inside. I Do have the soundakator disconnected and truly amazed at how the cabin is just as quiet with aftermarket downpipe setup.
Did you install down pipe yourself?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
No, my lift wasn’t working correctly so I ran it over to the local shop. Just wanted it on and as quickly as possible. I am not a patient man!

I’ll swap out the cat delete myself. I think ramps will be easiest for this.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've done in this order:

I did go from a stage 1 tune to catless, and actually lost power since a lot of the backpressure was gone.
I had to retune the car with a tune that was custom made for less backpresssure.
But know it is both stronger , more N/A like in the powerband, and runs cooler..

206 Posts
Having been in 718's of many different configurations, I can confidentially say you'll be pleasantly surprised by changing out your factory downpipe for a higher flowing cat. While the power increase won't be as magical as with a tune, you'll notice increased response and more willingness throughout the entire RPM range due to less restriction.

-Mike

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
Having been in 718's of many different configurations, I can confidentially say you'll be pleasantly surprised by changing out your factory downpipe for a higher flowing cat. While the power increase won't be as magical as with a tune, you'll notice increased response and more willingness throughout the entire RPM range due to less restriction.

-Mike
That's a perfect description of the change!

Now I hope I don't lose power with the catless downpipe as suggested above. It's my understanding that after the turbo you want as little restriction as possible?

206 Posts

Now I hope I don't lose power with the catless downpipe as suggested above. It's my understanding that after the turbo you want as little restriction as possible?
I have not personally experienced this. Maps are basically an aggregation of parameter ranges, some may be tweaked to be or expect more aggressive parameters. Some mild tunes may not expect to see a massive increase in flow and cannot adjust accordingly. An example of this is COBB staged maps where the car is expecting to see particular parameters, and also a reason why pro tunes yield much greater returns. @[email protected] might have more info to offer.

We have experienced boost spiking on catless 718's without a tune as the factory ECU / wastegate settings cannot handle the increase in flow as set by default. This is easily solved by a tune.

-Mike

·
Vendor
230 Posts
Thanks Mike.
These cars all use torque based control. They don't really care about boost pressure within reason. They just run the boost they need to in order to make the requested torque (if possible). Now, improving the volumetric efficiency of the system can really mess with the ECU, hence the need for a proper tune. This will smooth out surging and boost spikes from the increased flow.

I have not personally experienced this. Maps are basically an aggregation of parameter ranges, some may be tweaked to be or expect more aggressive parameters. Some mild tunes may not expect to see a massive increase in flow and cannot adjust accordingly. An example of this is COBB staged maps where the car is expecting to see particular parameters, and also a reason why pro tunes yield much greater returns. @[email protected] might have more info to offer.

We have experienced boost spiking on catless 718's without a tune as the factory ECU / wastegate settings cannot handle the increase in flow as set by default. This is easily solved by a tune.

-Mike
With a proper tune you shouldn't lose any power. You are correct; there's no back pressure requirement. The best exhaust on a turbo is no exhaust, but who wants to listen to that? That's where a Soul downpipe and exhaust comes in; minimal back pressure and excellent sound :D

·
Premium Member
705 Posts

-Mike
Thanks Mike.
These cars all use torque based control. They don't really care about boost pressure within reason. They just run the boost they need to in order to make the requested torque (if possible). Now, improving the volumetric efficiency of the system can really mess with the ECU, hence the need for a proper tune. This will smooth out surging and boost spikes from the increased flow.

With a proper tune you shouldn't lose any power. You are correct; there's no back pressure requirement. The best exhaust on a turbo is no exhaust, but who wants to listen to that? That's where a Soul downpipe and exhaust comes in; minimal back pressure and excellent sound :D
I should be good since I have a tune specifically for a catless system.

·
Vendor
230 Posts

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
Our (Arcflash) opinion is no.
Thanks, kind of what I thought. I also was thinking these cars have a waste gate on the turbo? Not that I'm looking to upgrade or change that, just seems like a good time to ask that random question.

The video will have to wait until I do a filter cleaning.

·
Registered
65 Posts
It seems to be that map sensor can’t read more then 1,5 bar, (22-23 psi) and since it doesn’t seems to be any problem to keep 1,5 bar up to read line, at least on the GTS. It should be room to get some extra ponies

Have you tryed to change the map sensor, to a 2-bar sensor and increase the boost pressure

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
It seems to be that map sensor can’t read more then 1,5 bar, (22-23 psi) and since it doesn’t seems to be any problem to keep 1,5 bar up to read line, at least on the GTS. It should be room to get some extra ponies

Have you tryed to change the map sensor, to a 2-bar sensor and increase the boost pressure
On my S the max reading is 16 psi. It was my understanding that that was the most the readout could display for the S? I fully believe it is going higher but the car is not capable of displaying more. Maybe 17 models have different sensors?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts