Porsche 718 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Thanks, kind of what I thought. I also was thinking these cars have a waste gate on the turbo? Not that I'm looking to upgrade or change that, just seems like a good time to ask that random question.

The video will have to wait until I do a filter cleaning.
I'm pretty sure your 2.5 has the VTG. I'm not sure, but I think the 2.0 turbo is slightly bigger (with up to 18 psi), but doesn't have the low-rev response and broader torque range yours gets with the VTG. Will try to find that reference.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm pretty sure your 2.5 has the VTG. I'm not sure, but I think the 2.0 turbo is slightly bigger (with up to 18 psi), but doesn't have the low-rev response and broader torque range yours gets with the VTG. Will try to find that reference.
Correct, that's my understanding too.

Like it was mentioned earlier in this thread, the car doesn't really care about the PSI and instead just tries to reach the torque curve determined by the ECU. My 718 S will only go up to 11-12 PSI on mild days and still extract max performance (stock tune). On hotter days I'll see it climb to compensate.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Thanks, kind of what I thought. I also was thinking these cars have a waste gate on the turbo? Not that I'm looking to upgrade or change that, just seems like a good time to ask that random question.

The video will have to wait until I do a filter cleaning.
It has a diverter valve that leads the excess boost straight to the intake, so no waste gate that goes out to the free air.

·
Vendor
230 Posts
Data log MAP with your Accessport.

On my S the max reading is 16 psi. It was my understanding that that was the most the readout could display for the S? I fully believe it is going higher but the car is not capable of displaying more. Maybe 17 models have different sensors?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Data log MAP with your Accessport.
Just returned my fabspeed supercup with sport cat. Just couldn't stomach $2500 for just sound, no gains from what I've been reading and having to do away with my PSE. HOWEVER, have you seen any gains from this type of exhaust WITH a tune? I may buy it again if there's a good 15whp gain.

Have you seen a pro / custom tune extract more noticeable power than APR tune with freer flowing exhaust (no cat)?

Also, any way to program in a no lift shift while protuning for us manual guys?

Still on the fence on a tune. I see 2.0 long blocks on ebay go for cheap but haven't seen any 2.5 L. Just in case engine decides to go. Also afraid my stock clutch will slip as soon as I get the tune.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Yea, I also didn’t realize the test pipe tune removes the need for a cat... so I figure I’ll just go further down the rabbit hole.

Next will be a turbo upgrade if I don’t buy a space in a local auto lodge/condo. I love the idea of the lodge community, but not sure I want to drop the coin. The community is full of influential business people that love cars as much as I do, and could be good business networking for my job. Units don’t come available often and you have to be invited to buy. I’m flattered I’ve had two opportunities at a unitS here. I’m a nobody from nowhere thats way out classed by the rest of the owners? I don’t know... maybe it’s a sign?
Any fueling solutions along with the turbo upgrade? I saw the TTE580 turbo but haven't heard of anyone actually reaching anywhere close to 500 hp due to fueling issues. Or are you planning to do some water/meth injection?

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
Correct, that's my understanding too.

Like it was mentioned earlier in this thread, the car doesn't really care about the PSI and instead just tries to reach the torque curve determined by the ECU. My 718 S will only go up to 11-12 PSI on mild days and still extract max performance (stock tune). On hotter days I'll see it climb to compensate.
That's what I experienced and after the APR tune I will max the gage out at 16psi. I fully believe it is going higher.

I know I read somewhere that the displayed boost on an 2.5S can only "Read/display" a max of 16. Again... not that the car isn't making more boost, what I'm saying is the S version of the 718 seems to only display a max psi of 16.

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
Just returned my fabspeed supercup with sport cat. Just couldn't stomach $2500 for just sound, no gains from what I've been reading and having to do away with my PSE. HOWEVER, have you seen any gains from this type of exhaust WITH a tune? I may buy it again if there's a good 15whp gain.

Have you seen a pro / custom tune extract more noticeable power than APR tune with freer flowing exhaust (no cat)?

Still on the fence on a tune. I see 2.0 long blocks on ebay go for cheap but haven't seen any 2.5 L. Just in case engine decides to go. Also afraid my stock clutch will slip as soon as I get the tune.
if you want to keep the PSE, just get the SOUL downpipe! I'm loving this setup and the PSE flows perfectly fine. I did notice a better driving experience with less turbo lag using the Sport Cat Downpipe from SOUL.

Could the block for the 2.0 and 2.5 be the same with different internals making up the .5L difference in displacement?

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
That is correct, VGT Turbo.

·
Vendor
230 Posts
We haven't done any turbo upgrades yet. Fuel and intercooling are definitely the power limitations at the moment.

We won't be doing water/meth. It's just not the right approach as far as we're concerned.

Any fueling solutions along with the turbo upgrade? I saw the TTE580 turbo but haven't heard of anyone actually reaching anywhere close to 500 hp due to fueling issues. Or are you planning to do some water/meth injection?

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
We haven't done any turbo upgrades yet. Fuel and intercooling are definitely the power limitations at the moment.

We won't be doing water/meth. It's just not the right approach as far as we're concerned.
With the 718 being such a small customer base, development of new parts have a poor return on investment. Which means, IMO, little development will be done!

I think these cars are pretty much maxed out +/- a few ponies here and there. I also believe further development will be done down the road, when parts start wearing out... If you need to rebuild a turbo, you might as well rebuild it better! I believe the intercooler will be a bigger challenge with the space requirements.

Honestly, I don't know how much more power the car can handle. Mechanically I think it's good to go, but traction is becoming an issue with tuned 718's. More power? **** yea... but much more and things will start to get sketchy!

·
Vendor
230 Posts
I agree, I think as these come off of warranty turbos will become a popular upgrade.

You don't have to tell me about traction. My 987.1 has 445whp/460wtq... :ROFLMAO:

With the 718 being such a small customer base, development of new parts have a poor return on investment. Which means, IMO, little development will be done!

I think these cars are pretty much maxed out +/- a few ponies here and there. I also believe further development will be done down the road, when parts start wearing out... If you need to rebuild a turbo, you might as well rebuild it better! I believe the intercooler will be a bigger challenge with the space requirements.

Honestly, I don't know how much more power the car can handle. Mechanically I think it's good to go, but traction is becoming an issue with tuned 718's. More power? **** yea... but much more and things will start to get sketchy!

·
Registered
65 Posts

Could the block for the 2.0 and 2.5 be the same with different internals making up the .5L difference in displacement?
As I understand it, the only difference between the 2.5 and 2.0 is the bore. I think the 2.0 has the same bore and stroke as the 3.0 turbo 6 in the 911. Basically the same engine as the 911 minus 2 cylinders. The 2.5 just has a larger bore I believe.

·
Registered
247 Posts
if you want to keep the PSE, just get the SOUL downpipe! I'm loving this setup and the PSE flows perfectly fine. I did notice a better driving experience with less turbo lag using the Sport Cat Downpipe from SOUL.

Good point on the block. Not sure may be worth looking into.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Look what we have here! @Soul Performance Products it looks great! Cant wait to hear MOOORE turbo!

I wish you guys were closer... I sell packaging and can attest to the quality and care you all take in protecting your brand. This is something I struggle to get customers to understand!

View attachment 26657
Clean! Keep us posted on your results. I may go directly to catless if and when I get a DP plus tune.

·
Registered
2019 Cayman GTS
102 Posts

That's a bummer that you had to return your exhaust. Sorry to hear you had to do that. It was probably a HUGE pain in the butt. 😁
The local tuner shop in Reno where I live said that you if want to keep your PSE do a sport cat and x-pipe tips. Be suspect of "x-pipe" tips that look like one piece. They aren't a true x-pipe, and are just another H pipe tip that performs just like your stock one. Sorry for that rant. Anyways, this mod should give you about 5-8 additional HP at the rear wheel from what I've been told, and what I'm reading online and the youtube videos. I feel like all of my free time has been non-existent lately as I've been stuck in the time suck that is youtube and performance blog posts. HA!

To add some additional insult to injury on your wallet they suggested to add a tune it with that setup. Based on which tune and fuel you use it's possible to gain between 65-80 additional HP.
I don't have all the pricing, but with the proper coupon codes floating around these two mods and the tune would be a little over what you paid for that initial exhaust. Guessing of course.

** NOTE **
This is the setup that was recommended if I wanted to keep my PSE. Also, talk to which ever exhaust company you go with, because I bet you they have a particular tune they use for testing that is their base tune that they might even sell you. :D
Pro Tip: When ever I worked with an exhaust sponsor for my SEMA trucks they almost ALWAYS had a tune that they used that best fit their setup, and almost always offered it up, or told you who to buy it from. 🤘

·
Registered
247 Posts
That's a bummer that you had to return your exhaust. Sorry to hear you had to do that. It was probably a HUGE pain in the butt. 😁
The local tuner shop in Reno where I live said that you if want to keep your PSE do a sport cat and x-pipe tips. Be suspect of "x-pipe" tips that look like one piece. They aren't a true x-pipe, and are just another H pipe tip that performs just like your stock one. Sorry for that rant. Anyways, this mod should give you about 5-8 additional HP at the rear wheel from what I've been told, and what I'm reading online and the youtube videos. I feel like all of my free time has been non-existent lately as I've been stuck in the time suck that is youtube and performance blog posts. HA!

To add some additional insult to injury on your wallet they suggested to add a tune it with that setup. Based on which tune and fuel you use it's possible to gain between 65-80 additional HP.
I don't have all the pricing, but with the proper coupon codes floating around these two mods and the tune would be a little over what you paid for that initial exhaust. Guessing of course.

** NOTE **
This is the setup that was recommended if I wanted to keep my PSE. Also, talk to which ever exhaust company you go with, because I bet you they have a particular tune they use for testing that is their base tune that they might even sell you. :D
Pro Tip: When ever I worked with an exhaust sponsor for my SEMA trucks they almost ALWAYS had a tune that they used that best fit their setup, and almost always offered it up, or told you who to buy it from. 🤘
First, great info thanks!
I'd hate to keep going back and forth, but if someone can show proof that the Fabspeed supercup can make at least 15whp with a tune, I may buy it again. I am also on a lightweight binge, where I started with a 9.5 lbs. Antigravity battery and have actually noticed difference in lightness of the front end. With the light weight wheels, seats, and exhaust, I am confident my manual gts will touch upper 2800 lbs.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts