Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm taking delivery of a new custom-ordered 2018 Boxster from a California dealer soon. Does anyone have any tips or advice on what to expect or avoid? Is there anything you were glad you did, or wished you had known?

- What is a reasonable odometer reading for a new car? I hope mine has not been used as a demo car ;-)
- I'll probably decline any wheel/tire insurance, and may look into 3rd-party coverage later.
- What extra fees or charges are reasonable, on top of the destination, taxes, and registration? I think there may be a "documentation" charge.
- Is there anything worth inspecting, apart from the general body condition, and making sure both keys work?

Many thanks! I'll post pictures soon!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I ordered a 2018 Cayman picked it up 8/19/2017 with 18 miles on the odometer.Document fee $80.00 i would decline anything they try to sell you for the car like wheel and tire
insurance ect.Take your time have the sales person go over navigation,radio,operations ect.I purchased a battery tender for the car it is not my daily driver also had a clear bra
put on not by dealer. Enjoy your car

Collin

·
Registered
503 Posts
You already ordered the car, no? So I would expect no additional fees that weren't in the purchase agreement. My agreement had everything explicitly stated when I ordered the car. You've done the hard work, IMO.

Now some dealers will try to sell you extras...but not all dealers. VIN etching, wheel and tire insurance, extended warranty. I pretty much skip everything. Go home and think about it. Do some research. If they strong arm you then definitely don't do it, IMO.

Years ago, I bought a car and they started pitching extras... I'm saying "No", my wife is saying "Yes". Boy that was a little uncomfortable. I gave up with a "do what you want" My wife bought the VIN etching. I was irritated. She went home did some research, decided it was BS. Called the dealer and they refunded her money...after the windows were etched. That was a BMW. They didn't want to leave a bad taste...so I think if you push back, most dealers will get the hint and move on.

If you have the time, go over the vehicle. Take a test drive. Might be there for 1 1/2 hrs. Many salesmen like to go over a lot more stuff than I care about.

If the car was ordered, I'm not sure why I would expect many miles at all. i.e. <10, 20?... Not sure why there would be more. Maybe somebody with more new vehicle experience can chime in. I once leased a new car in Europe for three months and they dropped it off at my hotel. There were 5kms on it. Not sure how they even got it to the hotel, LOL.

Enjoy your car...

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Next new Porsche I buy I am leaving it wrapped and having it shipped to a local detailer and have them do the detailing and then will apply PPF. Regarding checking the paint if you opt to drive it away unwrapped or have it shipped spend at least an hour going over every surface methodically. I would have the dealership park the car outside then ask to spend time alone looking over the vehicle so your not rushed. I would bring a flashlight to check for faint scratches and paint swirls....
As far as the extras go I say no to everything......and I am not sorry I did. If your going to have a PPF placed on the vehicle, which I highly recommend, avoid the dealership since they overcharge and the quality is not as good as most outside vendors.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Make sure you get everything out of current car if trading, including CDs in the player and license plate frame if custom!

Credit where due, I had a unique experience at Porsche of Walnut Creek. After test drive, agreeing on price and shaking on the deal, I told my SA I didn't have a check with me and needed to get home (across the Bay) to let the dogs out....so could I come back tomorrow to do the paperwork? He promised to get me out in 20 minutes and deliver the car to my house tomorrow to pick-up the check and take back my 987 trade. Then we zipped through *all* paperwork in not much more than 20 minutes, fastest by far I've ever experienced, with not a single solitary add-on/extra sales-pitch. Nice!

·
Super Moderator
1,941 Posts
The car is new. It has a warranty, including on the paint (or at least it does here). A good check is essential, although it's unlikely to show anything that needs work, and you have time.

Any extras (including Porsche's :)) are real money spinners. If you don't really want it, avoid like the plague.

Unless the dealer is very careful and knows how to wash a car without scratching or swirling then NEVER take the complimentary washes. One bad wash (i.e. almost any auto-wash) can destroy the paint finish and require an expensive polishing to fix. (I saw a beautiful black 911 that was actually grey in the sun due to careless washes. It looked like it had had a do-over with steel wool.)

Do seriously consider some paint protection from a professional applier. I have found Opti Coat Pro+ to be excellent (there are other high quality ones), and if stone chips are an issue on your roads then plastic film on susceptible areas can help.

Most of all--drive and enjoy. My Boxster is a blast!

·
Registered
188 Posts
I ordered a 2018 Cayman picked it up 8/19/2017 with 18 miles on the odometer.Document fee $80.00 i would decline anything they try to sell you for the car like wheel and tire
insurance ect.Take your time have the sales person go over navigation,radio,operations ect.I purchased a battery tender for the car it is not my daily driver also had a clear bra
put on not by dealer. Enjoy your car

Collin
Who did you use for the PPF (clear bra)?

·
Registered
716 Posts
As you custom ordered the car it should have very low miles - mine had 10.

It should definitely not have been used as a demo car - only cars that haven't been sold should be used as such, and yours was sold from the moment it was built.

During delivery make sure all the options you ordered are in the car. Walk around the car and inspect the paint, wheels, etc. The dealer should sit with you in the car for a good 30 minutes going over everything.

Drive home carefully - don't want to crash first time in the car! :)

·
Registered
503 Posts
Drive home carefully - don't want to crash first time in the car! :)
Along those lines.....the last car I bought I had to drive home 3 hours. It was a bit aggravating because I was on the highway and really didn't know how to work all the controls. Fiddling with the radio or NAV while zipping along at 75 isn't a great experience. Then when it gets dark you have to figure out where the lights are, what setting they are in... If you are going to drive a while and won't be able to pull over, make sure you know the important switches. Where the **** is that rear wiper intermittent setting?

Oh...and maybe bed in your brakes during a test drive, before you head home.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I was offered the body and interior treatment at £400 plus tax at half price, ie £240 with tax. I declined and offered half again so £120 which he accepted. Still not sure it was worth it, given that the car should be waxed and prepared properly anyway. Should it need a body coating, nano-techy-bonding treatment or whatever it is? I did it cos Carmine Red is a solid colour and swirls easily but pretty sure not needed on metallic. Any views on this for future purchases?
I also got alloy wheel insurance, up to 6 ayear for 3 years with no excess, for £159. Definitely worth it at this price, I've had 3 repaired already in 8 months. Only one from kerbing, two from bloody potholes. Welcome to austere Britain where's there's no money for road repairs, the health service, education or much anything else these days.

·
Super Moderator
1,941 Posts
<snips>given that the car should be waxed and prepared properly anyway. Should it need a body coating, nano-techy-bonding treatment or whatever it is? I did it cos Carmine Red is a solid colour and swirls easily but pretty sure not needed on metallic. Any views on this for future purchases?
1. "Should" and "are" are different words.:D

2. Swirls and oxidation are really easy to get on any soft paint and they will quickly reduce it's appearance to ordinary. The newer "super coatings" are much harder and more durable. (I've had great results from Opti-Coat Pro and Pro+. I'm sure that there are other excellent products. Note that these nearly always require a skilled professional application.)

·
Registered
108 Posts
This is all excellent advice which I will be reading and re-reading as my ordering and purchasing get closer over the next year or so. I've already made up my mind in terms of definitely doing the paint protection but am still on the fence between partial coverage via something like Expel film vs doing a full ceramic treatment with something like ceramic pro.

It is definitely something I will be doing more research on in the future.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I put expel on the whole front of my 2014 981 and then put it on the same area on my 718 Lava Orange Boxster and then coated the whole car with Flight Shield's Sapphire V1 a nano coating that is 9 times harder than the car's clear coat. I also put Sapphire V1 on my 2016 Macan S. With it you never have to wax or polish the car, just wash it off with water and dry. If the car if really dirty I wash it with a micro fiber glove and dry. Opti coat is used by a lot of people and you can put it on yourself but have to be very careful on the prep before you put it on or any defects will be magnified. Flight shield had to be put on by their people because they want the car finish to be the best possible before their product is applied. I sure don't miss the polishing and waxing and both cars look like new.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Next new Porsche I buy I am leaving it wrapped and having it shipped to a local detailer and have them do the detailing and then will apply PPF. Regarding checking the paint if you opt to drive it away unwrapped or have it shipped spend at least an hour going over every surface methodically. I would have the dealership park the car outside then ask to spend time alone looking over the vehicle so your not rushed. I would bring a flashlight to check for faint scratches and paint swirls....
I did the same - read about the detailing work here

It didn't look too bad even after I'd washed it either:

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
I did the same - read about the detailing work here

It didn't look too bad even after I'd washed it either:
Already contacted a local Austin Texas detailer with a great reputation and arranged to have the entire car detailed and then place a full PPF (Suntek Ultra). The detailer claimed it would take 5 to 7 days to complete. He would do full PPF with Suntek minor correction were needed and a ceramic coating.
Had a PPF placed on the entire front end/rocker panels and backs of mirrors on my 718, and not one chip with the PPF (Llumar Ultimate was used). I debated a very long time regarding the need for a PPF but there is no question in my mind that is the best protection and the way to go.

·
Registered
540 Posts
So would you use Opti coat or something similar and then a PPF or just one or the other?

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
So would you use Opti coat or something similar and then a PPF or just one or the other?
What has been described to me, and others can provide feedback, the car would be detailed first the PPF placed then a ceramic coating. I have not discussed with the detailer which ceramic coating he would use. The detailer claims using a ceramic coating over the PPF helps with the maintenance of the PPF. I will have to do some more reading not sure how necessary that is but it's "included" in the price.
Though, you could use either a PPF or a ceramic coating alone but if you want to avoid paint chips there is no question in my mind you should use a PPF....mine has worked flawlessly and that is why I am inclined to use it again....

1 - 20 of 40 Posts