Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a 2019+ 718 Cayman -- I think it might be my next move (moving on from a Corvette C7). I'd like to take a test drive (or just generally take a look around/inside a cayman) but i'm unsure of how welcoming dealerships are in the indiana area. When buying my C7 I had a good amount of trouble from dealerships (not wanting to give test drives without running credit, not allowing test drives in general, etc) -- Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm a car enthusiast and am trying to research as much as I can, but would like to get some hands-on experience. Thanks!

· Premium Member
2019 base Cayman
2,163 Posts
You ought to just go by and see what happens. I'm in Louisville, KY, and deal with Blue Grass Motorsport and had no problem looking around and test driving a Cayman. I did show up with a configuration number so they knew I was a serious shopper.

· Registered
2018 Cayman 2.0
561 Posts
Consider joining PCA under their Test Drive membership. (PCA Test Drive | Porsche Club of America) Then you can connect with local PCA members who may be willing to let you drive their cars. Our members here in Western Oregon are generally quite willing to get others hooked on the cars.

· Registered
2017 718 Cayman Base
189 Posts
Before the current "inventory shortage", I found all the dealers I visited very welcoming, almost insisting I take a test drive. Currently they are selling everything they can get their hands on, so as stated above, go by and feel them out. Check their stock online first.

· Registered
913 Posts
If you just want a test drive, check the used car inventory at places such as Carmax and Carvana. Carmax has never had an issue with letting me take test drives. I've never had an issue getting a test drive of a Porsche in different states but that was back when inventory wasn't an issue. I'm sure any will still let you test drive whatever pre-owned cars they have even if they don't have any new ones for you to drive.

Reactions: ajcarson11

· Registered
2018 Boxster GTS
212 Posts
I know it's a trip and a bit spendy, but the best way to determine if a Cayman is for you is to visit one of the Experience Centers. 90 minutes there will tell you everything you need to know.
👆 This.
Just be prepared knowing that you'll be hooked and obsessed afterward. They give you a really fun experience there. If you don't like the 718 (or Porsche in general) after the PEC trip, it's just not the car for you.

· Registered
159 Posts
What part of the state are you in? I dealt with Tom Wood in Indy even though I am not in the Indy area. They were quite welcoming when I bought my first Cayman even though it was the cheapest car on the lot. The second time around, they literally just handed me keys to stuff to drive.

If you are more west central Indiana, send me a PM.

· Registered
438 Posts
I'm in Indy and bought mine from Tom Wood. No issues from anyone with test driving a new 718 Cayman S before I ordered my GTS. I suspect they would be just as casual test driving a used one.

· Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Whoa! Thanks for the responses everyone -- Wasn't expecting anyone to check this particular section of the forum -- was pleasantly surprised to see all kinds of feedback here. The Corvette forum was a fairly decent place, but i'm already enjoying the content on here more. I do definitely see an inventory shortage (especially because i'm particularly interested in a manual 718).

I'm looking into PCA right now, and am also glad to know that others have had great experience with Tom Wood. They don't currently have any caymans in stock but I'll inquire anyway. I'm currently north-west of Indy (20 minutes north-west of brownsburg). Thanks all!

· Registered
718 Cayman S 2018, lowered 30mm with TechArt springs, porschecrests on frunk and center cap shields
47 Posts
I'm in the market for a 2019+ 718 Cayman -- I think it might be my next move (moving on from a Corvette C7). I'd like to take a test drive (or just generally take a look around/inside a cayman) but i'm unsure of how welcoming dealerships are in the indiana area. When buying my C7 I had a good amount of trouble from dealerships (not wanting to give test drives without running credit, not allowing test drives in general, etc) -- Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm a car enthusiast and am trying to research as much as I can, but would like to get some hands-on experience. Thanks!
If you are in Sun Valley, Idaho for some vacay contact me and we can go for a drive!

· Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Afternoon all! I have been talking with Tom Wood for the last few days about what was involved in ordering a new cayman. After a bit of conversation they noted that they had a 718 boxster in stock and that I could swing by to try it out. The wife and I went by and they handed us the keys right away, told us to drive it hard, and sent us off. I put it through the paces and left Tom Wood with a new Cayman T on order! They thought they could get an allocation in a reasonable time frame and estimate feb/march delivery. Thanks to everyone who gave input and Rhitee93 for offering to let me come check out his cayman. Now just to relax and wait! :)

· Registered
394 Posts
Afternoon all! I have been talking with Tom Wood for the last few days about what was involved in ordering a new cayman. After a bit of conversation they noted that they had a 718 boxster in stock and that I could swing by to try it out. The wife and I went by and they handed us the keys right away, told us to drive it hard, and sent us off. I put it through the paces and left Tom Wood with a new Cayman T on order! They thought they could get an allocation in a reasonable time frame and estimate feb/march delivery. Thanks to everyone who gave input and Rhitee93 for offering to let me come check out his cayman. Now just to relax and wait! :)
Come and join us in the Waiters Club.

Edit: You're definitely going to wait, but looking at how things transpire in the Waiters Club, we'll see how much you will relax.:D

· Registered
4,313 Posts
@FormerFF I know what you mean.... my goal was to stay off the forums until I receive the allocation, just so I don't sit and research/customize the options all day :D
Right...good luck with that. Experience leads me to believe the configurator will crap out before you lose interest in customizing your new car. Regardless, welcome and congrats on your decision

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.