Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for some advice on how to handle this situation... Was on track this past weekend - around 90 degrees Fahrenheit. After 20-25 minutes, I would lose boost pressure. Maxed out at 5psi. Obvious loss of power. No warning indicators on the dash. This happened on ALL three sessions.

Took vehicle in for service on Saturday. Received a "video message" from the tech working on the car. Basically says he can see codes for "Boost Pressure Deviation" and "Boost Pressure Actuator Temperature". His suggestion is to remove the underbody panel(s) when on track. That doesn't seem like something I should need to do before going on track - IMHO. And I'm not convinced that will actually resolve the issue. I have not heard from the service advisor yet. I get the feeling they are not going to do anything to "fix" the actual issue.

Wondering how far to push this? I realize it's not all that often that I'm on track for 20+ minutes in 90 degree heat, but the reason I bought the 718 was to be on track. And the track sessions are not cheap. From what I've read, this appears to be happening on the MY17 718s. I'm wondering if they modified something on the turbo - wastegate actuator?? for the newer models.

The other thing I keep hearing is that Porsche does not condone driving on track. Does anyone know Porsche's true stance on this matter? Of course, when I bought the vehicle the salesperson said going on track was not a problem at all.

Anyway, I would appreciate your thoughts.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Without having any solution for you, i came to think of how APR tune have changed how the internal fans work.
It might work for you, dont have the car tuned only how the fans work to keep the intercooler in check.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Which model do you have? The "S" models are known to suffer from this. The VTG server motor actuator overheats. Porsche has acknowledged the issue, but doesn't have a resolution.
Thanks for that document. Yes, I have an S. So they don't have an answer to this problem and it's been over three years??? And this doesn't apply to MY18 or 19?
Do I have any recourse here?

·
Registered
420 Posts
You probably already read through this but Suncoast had/has a 718S track project car. I believe they had some heat issues with the turbos and some mods to mitigate.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You probably already read through this but Suncoast had/has a 718S track project car. I believe they had some heat issues with the turbos and some mods to mitigate.

I did check out the Suncoast project car site. There seemed to be a contradiction in there though. They talked about replacing the underbelly pan with a 991.2 Speedster part. And then later on they said they used a 718 GTS underbelly pan. From my limited research, I didn't see any difference in the underbelly pans between the S & GTS, but I was looking at part schematics. Getting more airflow down by the turbo can only help.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Did you notice what the oil temp was when this happened? I was on track yesterday, with air temps in the mid 80s. I did 7, 20 minute sessions. The highest oil temperature I saw was 234F. I had no issues with overheating. This is with a 2017 718 CS, in Sport+ mode.

How long did you have to wait for the turbo to work properly again?

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Thanks for that document. Yes, I have an S. So they don't have an answer to this problem and it's been over three years??? And this doesn't apply to MY18 or 19?
Do I have any recourse here?
To my knowledge there have been no changes to the S turbo system since it was originally released. Unfortunately the GTS's turbo is different and uses a different servo that doesn't seem to be affected by this issue, and there's no easy parts swap that I've heard of. (Apparently Suncoast pursued that avenue without success.) I'd print out the document I referenced and show it to your service advisor. They can probably log the issue with Porsche, and if enough people do so it may spur Porsche to resolve it. Until then, I'd stay in touch with Suncoast and see what they're able to do to minimize the chances of the servo overheating.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did you notice what the oil temp was when this happened? I was on track yesterday, with air temps in the mid 80s. I did 7, 20 minute sessions. The highest oil temperature I saw was 234F. I had no issues with overheating. This is with a 2017 718 CS, in Sport+ mode.

How long did you have to wait for the turbo to work properly again?
If I recall correctly, I was seeing 240 degrees. I've never had the issue before - probably around 10 track days. The difference was longer sessions - 30 minutes. When it occurred, I immediately pulled off the track and parked. Did not try again for 90+ minutes for the next session and it worked just fine. Fellow 718 CS driver had the same issue on his third session. He mentioned doing a full lap at lower speed and then full boost pressure returned.

There must be a way to get better airflow down near the turbo.

·
Registered
5 Posts
cbarra,

Unfortunately it's an issue no-one has a solution for, I ended up trading my S for a GTS for this very reason. I live at altitude so my problem was magnified and didn't seem to be outside temp related as the turbo works harder up here anyway. I think you might see varied results at sea level and with some lower air temps maybe not an issue. I could only go 10 mins before it would go into limp mode. It just needs time to cool off, I would do a lap or 2 like a cool down (try to keep turbo boost low and stay out of traffic) but even then I would only get a quick lap or 2 before it went limp again. I didn't see any lasting problems as the car is basically protecting itself, but it became tedious and to your point, I want to get my money's worth at the track. The underfloor solution was an attempt to get some more air flow over the actuator but I think it's in a spot that is just hard to get airflow to and the design is part of the issue. As others note the GTS is a different setup and I have not had the problem with that car. I would try another track session when the air temps are lower and see if it lasts all or most of the session, it would be cheaper to keep the S if you can get it working most of the time and know that hot summer track days are to be avoided (although that solution can also reduce wear on your rubber and brakes too).

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
cbarra,

Unfortunately it's an issue no-one has a solution for, I ended up trading my S for a GTS for this very reason. I live at altitude so my problem was magnified and didn't seem to be outside temp related as the turbo works harder up here anyway. I think you might see varied results at sea level and with some lower air temps maybe not an issue. I could only go 10 mins before it would go into limp mode. It just needs time to cool off, I would do a lap or 2 like a cool down (try to keep turbo boost low and stay out of traffic) but even then I would only get a quick lap or 2 before it went limp again. I didn't see any lasting problems as the car is basically protecting itself, but it became tedious and to your point, I want to get my money's worth at the track. The underfloor solution was an attempt to get some more air flow over the actuator but I think it's in a spot that is just hard to get airflow to and the design is part of the issue. As others note the GTS is a different setup and I have not had the problem with that car. I would try another track session when the air temps are lower and see if it lasts all or most of the session, it would be cheaper to keep the S if you can get it working most of the time and know that hot summer track days are to be avoided (although that solution can also reduce wear on your rubber and brakes too).
I have also considered moving away from this vehicle, but I really like it in every other aspect. Did you consider going GT4 or Carrerra T?

I don't understand why Porsche is making no attempt to fix this. Apparently continuing to install the same hardware and issue in later models - MY18+.

I'm also at altitude - about 4400 ft. Did you try a different underbelly pan on your vehicle? I'm going to try that out next and see what happens. Thanks for your feedback.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Strange, I had my 2018 718B on track for 6 days last year, pushing pretty hard and never saw anything like this. The last two events over 4 days were in July (90+) and October (80+), so it was pretty hot. The car never changed a bit over the course of those events and allowed me to push as hard as I wanted. As far as Porsche's attitude about their customers taking their cars on track, everyone I've ever spoken with from dealers or regional training sessions has encouraged every Porsche owner to learn what their cars were designed to do, and do so on a track.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Strange, I had my 2018 718B on track for 6 days last year, pushing pretty hard and never saw anything like this. The last two events over 4 days were in July (90+) and October (80+), so it was pretty hot. The car never changed a bit over the course of those events and allowed me to push as hard as I wanted. As far as Porsche's attitude about their customers taking their cars on track, everyone I've ever spoken with from dealers or regional training sessions has encouraged every Porsche owner to learn what their cars were designed to do, and do so on a track.
That's disappointing that Porsche wouldn't do a thing to fix this problem I have a 2018 GTS and can confirm I've never had an issue like that over 30 track days, many in the summer with track temps hitting 150 degrees. Perhaps you could sell the car and pick up a GTS (4 cylinder) at a nice discount. It seems the 4 cylinder GTS is the best deal out there for those of us who track their cars since many are more buyers concerned with sound over performance. Good luck and again, VERY disappointing Porsche knows about this and can't come up with a solution, even if its buying your car and putting you in a GTS.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I read about this, but have to say i haven't had a similar issue. I have a 19 718 CS. mods include an AWE exhaust, castrol SRF, half cage harness and recaros and a track allignment, wheels/tires for track, nothing for cooling. This is my second year with it. Have done probably 10 days so far, the most recent of which was 2 days at Watkins Glen. Watkins, for those that don't know it, is a pretty punishing 3.5 mile track that's very fast with lots of elevation changes and rewards high hp. I'm no track star, but I run a pretty decent time and push the car pretty **** hard i'd think. each day was 4 30 min session, each of which burned through 1/3 of a tank of gas. car never missed a beat. not one. nor has it on any of my other days. so not sure why everyone else seems to be having these issues and hope I never do. Just giving a different experience.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I read about this, but have to say i haven't had a similar issue. I have a 19 718 CS. mods include an AWE exhaust, castrol SRF, half cage harness and recaros and a track allignment, wheels/tires for track, nothing for cooling. This is my second year with it. Have done probably 10 days so far, the most recent of which was 2 days at Watkins Glen. Watkins, for those that don't know it, is a pretty punishing 3.5 mile track that's very fast with lots of elevation changes and rewards high hp. I'm no track star, but I run a pretty decent time and push the car pretty **** hard i'd think. each day was 4 30 min session, each of which burned through 1/3 of a tank of gas. car never missed a beat. not one. nor has it on any of my other days. so not sure why everyone else seems to be having these issues and hope I never do. Just giving a different experience.
Understood. I never had an issue on track prior to this past event. Not sure if I mentioned this, but another 718CS owner had the exact same issue at the same event, but only on his last session.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What do you think the difference is? I’m stock, except for a Fabspeed sport Cat. I’m at elevation - about 4400ft.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Without having any solution for you, i came to think of how APR tune have changed how the internal fans work.
It might work for you, dont have the car tuned only how the fans work to keep the intercooler in check.
That’s an interesting thought.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts