Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And only 300 miles!

Overall, I'm very pleased with my beautiful base 718 but my likes are:

• beautiful styling (really is a stunning-to-look-at-car and turns heads)
  • nice driving position - really comfortable (although haven't done any long journeys yet)
  • start up sound is great, some nice pops too
  • very fast potentially! - haven't had it past 4000 rpm except by mistake (oops)
  • sharp handling - like a go kart
  • smooth and refined at speed and pootling too
  • love the LED daytime running lights
  • more than expected luggage space
  • and beautiful to look at (yes it's worth at least two mentions!)

Dislikes:

• no exhaust crackles as yet, not enough pops either for my personal taste
  • brakes feel a bit spongy, not as good as I thought they would be (unless they are still bedding in?)
  • would have liked a bit more standard equipment

So far....so great:):)

· Registered
438 Posts
I'm 3 weeks and 600 miles into 718 ownership, too. I agree with you on the abysmal lack of standard features, but am willing to forgive Porsche given the car is so great overall.

· Registered
438 Posts
Power seats, automatic climate control, heated seats, smart phone integration, multi-function steering wheel, etc. None are necessities, but are often standard on cars costing half as much. Pretty standard stuff, really.

· Registered
638 Posts
Just to show there are different perspectives on this stuff (my comments in parens):

Power seats (I'd rather have manual -- less weight and as I'm the only driver, set once and forget), automatic climate control (I'm almost always driving with top down, would rather control the occasional blast of heat directly), heated seats (okay, this I wanted for top-down driving on cold days, but blasting the heat vents actually more effective), smart phone integration (well it has the Bluetooth integration which is what I want, maybe this is something more like Google Maps display on the center console? Yes that would be nice), multi-function steering wheel (I'd have opted out if it were standard equipment -- the wheel is for driving, period), etc. None are necessities, but are often standard on cars costing half as much. Pretty standard stuff, really.
I would never have ordered parking sensors or rear-view camera as added-cost options, but pleasantly surprised to find them useful. Same with hill-holding brake feature. So overall I kinda have the opposite perspective in this context.....I want the Boxster to feel like a stripped-down sportscar not my wife's luxury SUV. Plus I like the thought I have about the lightest and lowest-cost 718 S possible.

· Registered
151 Posts
What's standard or whatever

My car ( '17 CS PDK ) is loaded with luxury items and no PSE, Sports Chrono, or PASM. It's perfect for me. It's my daily driver and I don't track my car. My point is ( and has been repeated endlessly ) that these cars can be designed to your wants and tastes. Of course we pay a premium for this, but Caymans are not mass produced cars in the scheme of things. They're not Hondas. It's always been this way for Porsche.
The Boxster saved them and the Cayenne and Macan have made Porsche truly successful. As a result, they can still build Caymans and 911s with all these customizing features. We have the luxury of having these cars available to us, but of course, we pay a premium.

· Registered
438 Posts
Please don't misconstrue my comments. I'm happy with many of the basic features on my car, especially the manual seats for the same reason as stated above. I was just noting that many other manufacturers consider the features I mentioned as expected standard equipment for their target buyer demographic. People like us are definitely more likely to have performance-based expectations and therefore we value the choice, even if some of the options leave us scratching our heads over the cost.

· Registered
45 Posts
I got spoiled when I bought a 2014 Panamera S loaded with comfort items plus all the performance options available. It was a special order car that the customer decided he didn’t want and I was able to get at a discount! As the years of driving went on I found myself seldom using the sport plus mode and never needed launch control, sport mode with PSE was more than enough when I did drive aggressively. When i decided to sell the Panamera and get back to open air touring I test drove both a basic Boxster S with all the performance options and then a luxury version more like my Panamera and for me it was an easy decision to go the luxury route! I added a VR Tuning Box to my 718 S and it is everything I could need in a sports car that is driven on public roads 95% of the time! The all leather interior and premium wheels make it a head turner, that can keep up with virtually anything up to 130mph! Yes I know if your main goal is to track your car a basic option car with high performance options is the most cost effective way to go, but for the vast majority of Porsche owners we seldom or never track our cars, we might attend a HPDE event or PCA DE to help us learn how awesome a machine we have and how to better drive it. For me my everyday driving experience and comfort rain supreme in my choice of options. For those that are price conscious, I am, you wait for the end of model year in December and good deals for loaded cars are out there in all option preferences! I don’t think there is one list of option combinations that make the perfect car , like women, for all drivers! This is what makes the hunt for each of us special and exciting, and fun to share with others that have the same passion for Porsche that we are all cursed with!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

· Registered
100 Posts
Yep, I'm happy to have a minimum of electronic crap in my 718S. In fact, if they were standard, I would have paid to delete Apple Car Play, entry and drive, lane change assist and the like. My wife's Acura MDX has a mind-boggling array of buttons everywhere and tons of nannies. Neither of us use any of it; just added cost, complexity, distractions that actually take your focus off driving. It's all stuff that might break and Moore's law means much of it be laughably obsolete in a couple of years. And (news flash) the steering wheel is for steering - not for a bunch of redundant controls that you shouldn't be screwing with while driving.

My Audi A6 (2012) has the right balance IMO. It makes a nice DD for the enthusiast with a few practical creature comforts and top notch nav for long, boring drives. And if I could omit cruise control from all my cars, I'd do it in a heart beat.

As always, YMMV - I have no problem with folks who like and order these things. I'm just grateful that Porsche lets us build 'em like we want 'em.

· Registered
44 Posts
My 2018 Cayman came with the following options: PDK, 20" Carrera S Wheels, Smoking Package, Navigation Module, Bose Surround Sound, Power Sport Seats (14 way) with Memory Package, Premium Package, Light Design Package, Seat Ventilation, Automatic Dimming Mirrors with integrated Rain Sensor, 2 Zone Automatic Climate Control, Seat Heating, Bi-Xenon Headlights with Porsche Dynamic Light System and Porsche Entry and Drive. I added clear side markers, cargo net and will be ordering dual exhaust tips.
When they are added there will be absolutely noting I don't like about my new Cayman.

· Registered
82 Posts
It's an interesting question about what should be included in the base spec. Personally:

Front & Rear Sensors with Camera
Folding Mirrors
Auto Wipers
Two Zone Climate
Lane change Assist
Cruise Control

Here's the thing. Last week porsche did in fact change the base spec (at least in the UK). They added front and rear parking sensors as standard, and you know what happened? The base price went up. I think when people say they want XYZ as standard, they are actually saying they want those options including in the same base price. So do you want Porsche to add all those extras in and bump the base price up, or let the customer decide what they want?

Remember some of these cars do actually see a race track.

· Registered
17 Posts
I got spoiled when I bought a 2014 Panamera S loaded with comfort items plus all the performance options available. It was a special order car that the customer decided he didn’t want and I was able to get at a discount! As the years of driving went on I found myself seldom using the sport plus mode and never needed launch control, sport mode with PSE was more than enough when I did drive aggressively. When i decided to sell the Panamera and get back to open air touring I test drove both a basic Boxster S with all the performance options and then a luxury version more like my Panamera and for me it was an easy decision to go the luxury route! I added a VR Tuning Box to my 718 S and it is everything I could need in a sports car that is driven on public roads 95% of the time! The all leather interior and premium wheels make it a head turner, that can keep up with virtually anything up to 130mph! Yes I know if your main goal is to track your car a basic option car with high performance options is the most cost effective way to go, but for the vast majority of Porsche owners we seldom or never track our cars, we might attend a HPDE event or PCA DE to help us learn how awesome a machine we have and how to better drive it. For me my everyday driving experience and comfort rain supreme in my choice of options. For those that are price conscious, I am, you wait for the end of model year in December and good deals for loaded cars are out there in all option preferences! I don’t think there is one list of option combinations that make the perfect car , like women, for all drivers! This is what makes the hunt for each of us special and exciting, and fun to share with others that have the same passion for Porsche that we are all cursed with!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Which colour interior is that, it looks a little darker than what is currently available in 2021

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.