Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've read lots about what to do when storing the car for the winter, but as spring is (hopefully) just around the corner, was hoping to get a discussion sparked about anything you guys do when taking your cars out of storage! This is my first season storing a car so I don't have much to add, but any wisdom you can share is much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Hey guys, I've read lots about what to do when storing the car for the winter, but as spring is (hopefully) just around the corner, was hoping to get a discussion sparked about anything you guys do when taking your cars out of storage! This is my first season storing a car so I don't have much to add, but any wisdom you can share is much appreciated.
Make sure you undo everything you did before storage. Wheel chocks out from behind tires, reduce pressure to proper levels, etc. Don't take out of storage until you can take your car out for a long drive after start up.
MOO

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Make sure you undo everything you did before storage. Wheel chocks out from behind tires, reduce pressure to proper levels, etc. Don't take out of storage until you can take your car out for a long drive after start up.
MOO

·
Registered
299 Posts
Don't forget that you stored it in gear, not neutral.

·
Registered
11 Posts
When putting it into storage i change the oil & filter. I have a non-heated garage and I also change the oil & filter when removing from storage in the spring. This is what I’ve done with my Miata for the past 20 years.

It’s inexpensive and easy to do with the Miata, but with the Cayman, I don’t plan on doing it myself and it’s much more expensive.

Is the second oil change recommended or overkill?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's a good question! I had all the fluids changed out before storage, but am coming up on my 40k service so maybe spring wake-up is the excuse to get it done a little early ;)

·
Registered
299 Posts
With modern synthetics and low mileage, I don't see the need to change the fluids before and after storage. My preference is to change the oil in the spring and call it good. I'm sure that's sacrilege to some, but it works for me.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
When putting it into storage i change the oil & filter. I have a non-heated garage and I also change the oil & filter when removing from storage in the spring. This is what I’ve done with my Miata for the past 20 years.

It’s inexpensive and easy to do with the Miata, but with the Cayman, I don’t plan on doing it myself and it’s much more expensive.

Is the second oil change recommended or overkill?
I would say the spring oil change is not needed. You change oil because usage causes it to break down. It hasn't been used so it should be as good as when you put it into storage. Make sure that when you take it out of storage that you drive it for at least an hour to evaporate any condensates that may have occurred during storage.
MOO

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Matt lives in NH but I keep seeing MOO as meaning he lives in VT.

Reactions: cbarra

·
Registered
654 Posts
I've also used MOO with effectively the same intention - My Own Opinion.

:unsure: Note to self...get acronym dictionary to supplement our 8th edition Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Found the answer to my own question.

According to the Feb 10th episode of Tech Tactics on PCA’s YouTube channel, you should change the oil every 5,000 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first. The 6 month limit applies no matter how little the car has been driven since the previous change.

I’d share the link, but haven’t figured out how to do that. If you find it on YouTube, this topic starts at around minute 45.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts