Porsche 718 Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Found the answer to my own question.

According to the Feb 10th episode of Tech Tactics on PCA’s YouTube channel, you should change the oil every 5,000 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first. The 6 month limit applies no matter how little the car has been driven since the previous change.

I’d share the link, but haven’t figured out how to do that. If you find it on YouTube, this topic starts at around minute 45.
Below the video, there's a "share" button. You can even choose to have it start at a specific timestamp. Like this:

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
That was prior to the SUMEbore coating of our cars they discuss at the end of the discussion. What Porsche recommends is fine.

Reactions: Treemagnet

·
Registered
390 Posts
I'd suggest re-watching the segment I linked to. The specific portion of the conversation @NH718 was referring to wasn't talking about bore scoring necessarily. It was specifically about bringing vehicles back into service, water, ethanol, fuel, and other combustion byproducts contaminating the oil. And furthermore, the oil is also acting as a hydraulic fluid in modern engines with technologies like variable valve timing, which makes it more important to ensure the oil is clean.

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
The oil contamination is interesting and confirms the idea that we must always bring our engines to operating temperature if we start them. But your segment is discussing previous engine models and at the end of the talk, the need for frequent oil changes is negated by our iron-based SUMEbore cylinder coatings. Go to the area of the hour mark and see what I’m trying to say.

Reactions: phroenips

·
Registered
390 Posts
The oil contamination is interesting and confirms the idea that we must always bring our engines to operating temperature if we start them. But your segment is discussing previous engine models and at the end of the talk, the need for frequent oil changes is negated by our iron-based SUMEbore cylinder coatings. Go to the area of the hour mark and see what I’m trying to say.
Ok, so I watched the rest of the video. And I saw earlier where Porsche first introduced it on the [2015] 918 Spyder. I'm curious when it got rolled out to other engines. Presumably, the 718 has it as that came out well after the 918, but I'm selfishly wondering about my 2017 Macan GTS, as the Macan was first introduced before the 918 :p

Anyway, I didn't get the takeaway that SUMEbore eliminates the need for more frequent oil changes. SUMEbore certainly makes things better, and it eliminates the bore scoring problem by providing better lubrication in the bores. You still need a good lubricant though, and even if you get the oil up to operating temp every drive (which I do as much as possible), it still becomes contaminated.

Previous to watching this, for my Cayman I had decided to do oil changes every 5k miles or 12 months since I do HPDEs and Autocross. Now, I'm seriously considering keeping the 5k miles, but doing 6 month time intervals. Once in the fall (after my last HPDE/Autocross event), then again in the Spring. It may be overkill, and I know Porsche states once per year, but I also know some of that is dictated by consumer demands too. People don't want to have to take their cars in for service multiple times per year. Notice how all the German manufacturers (and maybe others too?) all have annual services now? It's so they can just tell customers that unless they drive a lot of miles, they can just bring the car in for service once per year.

On the bright side, if I do decide to go every six months, I could do my normal Redline 0w40 in the winter, but switch to their 5w40 in the spring/summer, which should hold up better to my abuse :)

21 - 29 of 29 Posts