Porsche 718 Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
982-129-620-A has cold protection
982-129-620-B does not.
The cold just has that extra layer on it, otherwise they are identical.

There is no sure way of knowing what is on your car now.
Northern areas get the cold, southern areas get the regular.

In my case (Canada) our cars come with the cold protection, but since I store the car over winter I replaced it with the regular weather filter.
If you don't drive in snowy winter conditions then the B filter is what you want.

Price is the same for both.
Very helpful. Thank you very much. In your candid opinion, do you think replacing the air filter is something any person (i.e., amateur/non-technical person) can do? Or should this be left to experts or those who have some level of experience working on their cars? I do not want to mess anything up, but also do not want to shell out hundreds of dollars for an air filter change. I've watched the videos and it seems like the disconnecting-and-reconnecting the engine access cable seems to be the most difficult part.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
308 Posts
The cable is what I’m thinking is the challenging part of doing this. Hate to pay a shop to change an air filter! There still isn’t a super good DIY on this but there is one thread with pics somewhere that’s pretty good.

·
Registered
803 Posts
The cable is what I’m thinking is the challenging part of doing this. Hate to pay a shop to change an air filter! There still isn’t a super good DIY on this but there is one thread with pics somewhere that’s pretty good.
The cables are not really that challenging. You just need to be a bit of a contortionist and reach in and blindly feel around lol Really it's not difficult. They pop right off. Reinstalling is the same. Just a little pressure and they're back on. I found the biggest pain was reinstalling the carpet on the back deck. I didn't remove the carpet behind the seats. Didn't see the need for removing it. Other than that, there's a million Torx screws and the screws closest to the cabin are a little difficult because of the small amount of clearance above them. Having a Torx bit that fits a ratchet is ideal for those.

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Having a Torx bit that fits a ratchet is ideal for those.
Yup that's the tool I made to do mine.

@boxster718 - I'd say that the task is simple in it's individual parts, but as a whole... 🥵. If you plan the job, have the proper tools and take your time it could be a fun project. Couple buddies, loud music, plenty of beer, tools and a Porsche... what could go wrong?

I don't see the need for a diverter valve replacement but if there's something to gain from it I'll take it all apart again and be sure to get video this time. Anyone know if there's a good reason to change the diverter valve? Other than making the video!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Changed my Boxster filter this weekend. Not as bad as I thought it would be. Key points: open top about 4” and remove roll hoop panels to access the 2 cables. Pop them off. Then open to about 18” to pull up glass. After the strap is secured, I had to bump the top (just a quick bump) up or down while strap was on to easily access the 2 bolts closer to the front. Be sure to have a small ratcheting tool that accepts 1/4” (I think) bits. Everything else was self explanatory.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Also does anyone know if the thick engine insulation is for sound? I left it out to see if more engine sound could be heard when top is closed. But nothing noticeable. Maybe I’ll put it back in. Should only take about 20 min now that I’ve been in there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sorry to ask, but are there actual instructions for replacing the air filter? Even a basic idea without pictures would be great...like "remove carpet then remove the metal panel. Air filter is on the left."

At the start of the thread, I was getting the impression that it was going to be super complicated, like changing the oil. Haha...haaa. :(

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
Sorry to ask, but are there actual instructions for replacing the air filter? Even a basic idea without pictures would be great...like "remove carpet then remove the metal panel. Air filter is on the left."

At the start of the thread, I was getting the impression that it was going to be super complicated, like changing the oil. Haha...haaa. :(
I'm sure I'll miss something, but here it goes from memory.

Remove Left and Right side Panels from the seat back
Remove Seatbelt cover
Remove brace (bolted down)
Remove oil & coolant cross bar (just lifts up)
Remove Carpet covering engine (just pull it out)
Remove the many bolts securing the engine cover
Air Filter will be on the left side of vehicle (I believe there was a screw or two and a couple clips to remove the cover)
Now put it all back! :(

Simple process, just a lot to remove and time consuming. Invite a buddy over for drinks or whatever and make it happen...

21 - 36 of 36 Posts