Porsche 718 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
The more I've researched the more I've moved from the GT4, to the GTS, to the S, and now strongly considering base with 18s.
Still PDK, PVT, & PASM though!
You will of course find people on this forum who own all of them. Well, no one person is likely to own all of them but all of them are owned by somebody. Well, all are owned by different people. You know what I mean. Anyway, that means there are adherents to each of the models, people who are quite happy with their choices. That being said...

Each model has its strengths, but none are deficient in ways that matter for most uses. All have plenty of power. All have great brakes. The subtle performance advantage of the S is nice but it comes at a cost. The GTS and GT4 even more so. You have to be realistic about how you'd use it and what is important to you.

The wheel size is another matter people disagree on, but in fact as far as I can tell the differences are subtle. My 20" are nicely decorative and their low profile tires probably give it more tracking precision. I've got 19" wheels with winter tires on it now. They look more conventional, and I've been told they make the car look faster. I dunno' about that. They feel more conventional, probably because of the compound as much as because of the profile. The ride quality is marginally softer with the 19" winter tire setup but that's probably because of their lower pressure. The 20" wheels have one minor disavantage, they are so low to the ground that they can scrap against curbs. Other than that, I'm not sure I could tell the difference. In a rational, cognitive way I like the 20's as more extreme. Would it matter if they were 19 or 18? Nah.

There are other considerations more important. Like manual vs. PDK, PDLS or PDLS+ or standard lights, multi-function steering wheel, audio system, environmental controls, PCM functionality, etc. As long as you meet your minimul requirements for those things you will be happy with anything.

·
Registered
290 Posts
You will of course find people on this forum who own all of them. Well, no one person is likely to own all of them but all of them are owned by somebody. Well, all are owned by different people. You know what I mean. Anyway, that means there are adherents to each of the models, people who are quite happy with their choices. That being said...

Each model has its strengths, but none are deficient in ways that matter for most uses. All have plenty of power. All have great brakes. The subtle performance advantage of the S is nice but it comes at a cost. The GTS and GT4 even more so. You have to be realistic about how you'd use it and what is important to you.

The wheel size is another matter people disagree on, but in fact as far as I can tell the differences are subtle. My 20" are nicely decorative and their low profile tires probably give it more tracking precision. I've got 19" wheels with winter tires on it now. They look more conventional, and I've been told they make the car look faster. I dunno' about that. They feel more conventional, probably because of the compound as much as because of the profile. The ride quality is marginally softer with the 19" winter tire setup but that's probably because of their lower pressure. The 20" wheels have one minor disavantage, they are so low to the ground that they can scrap against curbs. Other than that, I'm not sure I could tell the difference. In a rational, cognitive way I like the 20's as more extreme. Would it matter if they were 19 or 18? Nah.

There are other considerations more important. Like manual vs. PDK, PDLS or PDLS+ or standard lights, multi-function steering wheel, audio system, environmental controls, PCM functionality, etc. As long as you meet your minimul requirements for those things you will be happy with anything.
All very well considered, jimmuller! Nicely done!

I would only disagree with the comment that the performance advantage of the S is subtle. I've owned both a base and an S, and would appeal to any would-be buyer to confirm for themselves whether or not the difference isn't pronounced. Cruising on the highway in 7th gear, maybe not so much. But at all other times I have found the S has that much more to give when asked. Of course it's a personal choice whether it's worth the upgrade. (For completeness, I see the GTS as only offered as a value proposition to the S-buyer who is looking to load up on performance options, and I see the GT4 as whole other animal entirely.)

I completely agree with your assessment regarding wheel sizes. I too have 19s with winter tires now while I wait for warm weather to return to remount my 20s. Very happy with both for reasons you stated.

Finally, I totally agree with your last comment regarding options. I've owned both a stripped car and one with nearly every performance option offered, and each of the latter options provides value. In the end though, it's all in the eye of the beholder.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yeah, I decided that realistically I won't be tracking enough to need more power and the other things that are nice on a track (low pro tires, lower/firmer suspension, larger displacement) have downsides during most of my driving.
Spending less is nice too.

·
Registered
751 Posts
On my S I went with the 19s for two reasons. First, none of the 20" options appealed to me. (Some of the 992 wheel options are hot, but I didn't see any 20s I loved from Porsche.) Second, CA streets suck. I wanted more sidewall.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Are there any aftermarket 18" wheels that fit over the S's brakes? I've been leaning toward a Base model for other reasons as well but being stuck with 19"+ wheels is a big turn off to the S. It's hard to believe the GTS comes with 20s. The 365hp was a big draw for me but 20" wheels are a hard no.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Are there any aftermarket 18" wheels that fit over the S's brakes? I've been leaning toward a Base model for other reasons as well but being stuck with 19"+ wheels is a big turn off to the S. It's hard to believe the GTS comes with 20s. The 365hp was a big draw for me but 20" wheels are a hard no.
Curious why the 20"s aren't for you. Aesthetics? Ride?

·
Registered
250 Posts
The 365hp was a big draw for me but 20" wheels are a hard no.
I was extremely skeptical of 20” wheels on our CPO BS (with SPASM). Turns out my fears were unfounded (thus far).

I have never perceived them as rough or harsh (1,500 miles), although my current comparison is my wife’s SL450 with 19” wheels. Both cars (not exactly apple’s to oranges) are equipped with PS4S. Regardless, I have not felt any significant difference in harshness or vibration between the two in Comfort, Sport, or Sport+.

The SL450 may be quieter on rough chip seal, but it is a Mercedes/GT car, not a 718...thank goodness!

IMHO the 718’s suspension is such a technological marvel that I suspect you will be happy with whatever wheel size you ultimately select. Or, test drive them all and you will definitely make the right choice.

Happy shopping!

·
Registered
388 Posts
I love the look of the 20's, and it sounds like on good pavement the suspension does a great job and the ride is complient. Unfortunately on the coast here where I'm located, the ground settles a lot and the potholes and dips in the pavement would get to me with that low of a profile tire, so I opted for the 19" sports. But man I love the look of those 20" Carrera Sport Wheels :love:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Curious why the 20"s aren't for you. Aesthetics? Ride?
Weight, ride quality, damage prone on bad roads. I prefer the look of 19" over 18" but all the other factors have me leaning 18. 20s just look odd to me, too big. Correct me if I'm wrong but they're worse in every performance metric, right?

·
Registered
781 Posts
Weight, ride quality, damage prone on bad roads. I prefer the look of 19" over 18" but all the other factors have me leaning 18. 20s just look odd to me, too big. Correct me if I'm wrong but they're worse in every performance metric, right?
I'd say they were mostly equivalent in every metric. Weight? Larger wheel, shorter tire. There isn't much difference. The spokes on my 20's are pretty small so for that particular 1" strip of radius they may be lighter than the same inch of tire sidewall they replace.

Ride quality? I'm with @Treemagnet, the ride on 20's is just grand, certainly not harsh. Of course, the 20's have two psi specs, "comfort" and "performance". I keep mine at the performance pressure, 33psi, even though I don't track. They do not feel harsh.

Bad roads? There is a possible issue. However it isn't with bad roads. I have 13,000 miles on mine. This is the Boston area where bad weather, snow plowing, old pavement combine to produce potholes, just like so many other places. I try not to bang into them but I've hit a few, never damaged a wheel from it. My wheel damage came from scraping against a curb on a place where it sticks out further than the rest. My fault as I wasn't used to the car yet. A higher profile tire on a smaller wheel probably would have scuffed the tire instead of the rim. Otherwise, bad roads? Nah.

However the different wheels do look different. The smaller wheels look more conventional.

·
Registered
189 Posts
For those that have to go thru winter or just have to drive on bad roads the 18's will be your best option but for those that don't 20's look best. They fill up the wheel wells very nice too

One thing that I don't like on the base is the big gap between the tire and fender lip, it's just too much space and doesn't look good. Looks even bigger with the 18" setup.

I myself love 20's and purchased wheels that the spokes almost reaches the wheel lip. I get asked a lot if my wheels are 21's. The PASM with 20mm lower really helps with the gap

·
Super Moderator
1,316 Posts
My biggest beef with the 20" is the lack of All Season tires.

Other than that, the ride quality is an order of magnitude better than the Mustang GT the Cayman replaced.

We may not have hard winters with frost heave in Houston, but there is a mayoral tradition to cherish our potholes! :eek: I recognize some in a major thoroughfare (Richmond Ave.). I have had an intimate relationship with them since 1985 when we moved to Houston as it was my way to and from work. The Cayman with its 20" wheels absorbs them just fine.

·
Registered
142 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,316 Posts
Are you saying these tires will fit the 20" wheels?
Strictly speaking, the tires will fit the wheels, I am not sure if there is any interference once mounted on the car. I assume we are talking about Porsche factory wheels for the Cayman/Boxster, so that there should be no problems with offset.

I haven't tried them myself, but a forum member has tried the rear dimension in All Seasons and said they do.

You can make a separate thread and ask for members experiences with +1 sizes.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Strictly speaking, the tires will fit the wheels, I am not sure if there is any interference once mounted on the car. I assume we are talking about Porsche factory wheels for the Cayman/Boxster, so that there should be no problems with offset.

I haven't tried them myself, but a forum member has tried the rear dimension in All Seasons and said they do.

You can make a separate thread and ask for members experiences with +1 sizes.
That's a great idea. Tire options are few and far in between. Would be helpful to know what does and doesn't work. We should ask the members to list the car model, the wheel type/name/size, whether the car is lowered 10mm or 20mm with PASM, and I guess if they have PCCB.

·
Registered
293 Posts
even the very base model is far beyond what I can use on the road.
This. 100% this. Unless you are buying a track toy, which I wasn't, this is an excellent guiding principle. I have the 18 inch wheels (with no suspension upgrades) and they are excellent. The g-max that I have recorded is 0.97 L and 0.98 R (I do love driving LA's canyons) and it feels like there is more grip available than that. The abilities of the base car are phenomenal and cannot be approached during legal (or slightly above) operation.

·
Registered
71 Posts
whether the car is lowered 10mm or 20mm with PASM
Regardless of static ride height don't all the suspensions have the same bottom out point? They all end at the same spot, some just have less travel so they start lower. So clearance should be the same.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Regardless of static ride height don't all the suspensions have the same bottom out point? They all end at the same spot, some just have less travel so they start lower. So clearance should be the same.
That assumes that the suspension is compressed.
Most ride height clearance issues occur when the suspension is not compressed.

e.g. when going over a speed bump the front lip gets there before the wheels hit the bump.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts