Porsche 718 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to start thinking about replacing the tires on my 2019 Boxster. It came with Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 235/45ZR18 tires front and rear. There are 16.5K miles on the car and the rear tires are getting close enough to the wear markers that I think safety, considering the intensity of the summer afternoon south Florida thunderstorms soon to come, mandates replacing them. The front tires still have a comfortable amount of tread but are not that far behind the rears. I will replace all four at the same time to assure no chance of an adverse change in the feel of the car. 100% my driving is on city streets/highways and I do not consider myself to be unsafely aggressive but I like acceleration, I like turning corners, and I especially like the precision feel of the car.

I have had no complaints with the Goodyear Eagle F1 tires and I do not think I would be realistic to expect more than just under 18K or so miles of tire life. Therefore,I will probably just replace them with the same thing. However, I just want to see if anyone has any suggestions for a different 18" tire as here is an opportunity to change to a different tire if there is, say, a tire that will not in any way change how the car handles but give more life. I would not consider an all season tire in south Florida.

·
Registered
855 Posts
As a fellow Floridian, I can attest that the P0s are horrendous in the wet, which limits summertime drives as you might imagine. It seems we drive similarly, although I likely have a few more extended/spirited drive opportunities than available to you in S. FL. I'll be lucky to get 12K out of the P0s and will be looking to switch to PS4s when the time comes. I don't expect better tire wear, but from what I gather they are better tires all around. All-season tires have crossed my mind, but I'll give the PS4s a try before I go that route.

·
Registered
730 Posts
+++Plus 1 for PS4S’s...most amazing high performance summer tires I’ve ever tortured.

Reactions: RadioZero

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I assume the reference to "P0s" above is referring to the Perelli P Zero (PZ4). If so, "being horrendous in the wet" makes them a no go for me.

I assume the the "PS4s" above are the Bridgestone Potenza S-04 tires. If so, that is certainly a tire to consider because it is only 62 % the cost of the Goodyear F1s and have about 17% more life expectancy. The reviews, according to Tire Rack, are notably better than the Goodyears.

My gut feel is to remain using the Goodyear Eagle F1s because they really are not broke and I do not want to risk changing that amazing precision feel of the car.

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
+++Plus 1 for PS4S’s...most amazing high performance summer tires I’ve ever tortured.
Agreed. I am in central, FL. I am on the OEM Goodyear F1‘s but I they will be replaced with Michelin PS4S’s. I find the F1’s to have no traction when cold and get greasy when hot. My rears are at the wear bars with 12k miles, the fronts are fine but I will replace all 4 at the same time.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I assume the reference to "P0s" above is referring to the Perelli P Zero (PZ4). If so, "being horrendous in the wet" makes them a no go for me.

I assume the the "PS4s" above are the Bridgestone Potenza S-04 tires. If so, that is certainly a tire to consider because it is only 62 % the cost of the Goodyear F1s and have about 17% more life expectancy. The reviews, according to Tire Rack, are notably better than the Goodyears.

My gut feel is to remain using the Goodyear Eagle F1s because they really are not broke and I do not want to risk changing that amazing precision feel of the car.
My bad...thought you meant Michelin PS4S.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'll be switching to Michelin Pilot Sport 4S once my Goodyears that came on the car are toasted. Looking forward to it as I've run the PS4S on a previous vehicle with good results.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I think I am correct that the "Michelin Pilot Sport 4S Max Performance Summer" tire referenced multiple times above is a different tire than the "Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 Ultra High Performance All-Season" tire. The "Max Performance Summer" tire is the preferred tire (for me too) but it is not available in 18", only 19" (at least per Tire Rack). I have 18" wheels because I was not smart enough to appreciate the difference when I ordered the car.

BTW, I forgot to mention I noticed the rear end has a consistent tendency to jump disconcertingly if I accelerate hard into a turn from a full stop (like from a stop sign or upon a green left arrow). My perception is that my previous Z3/Z4 appeared better glued to the road under very similar circumstances. Although I said above "I have had no complaints with the Goodyear Eagle F1 tires" I was only referring to tire wear and just assumed this is a tire issue.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Our Michelin Pilot Sport 4S Max Performance Summer tires are 20’s. Didn’t realize Michelin did not make 18’s for the 718.

·
Super Moderator
1,777 Posts
We don't have much rain here at all but the Pirelli get good marks on the European tests for wet driving. I've actually seen tests that found them better than the Michelins.

Unfortunately, (I'm a 50+ year Michelin fan!) as you say, the Michies are not available in the stock 18" sizes so I've stuck with the PZeros despite their wear factor. You would have to go with the closest size approximation and wouldn't have the "N" series modifications.

I've never tried the Goodyears but the mileage you're getting is about the same as I got out of my last set of PZeros.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Having 18" wheels will limit your options and unfortunately I dont think the PS4S tires are available in the sizes you need.

If you have been happy with the F1's then stick with them. If it aint broke dont fix it. The fact you were able to get over 16k miles on the rears is incredible.

South Florida rain is no joke and you need a good tire that makes you feel comfortable in the wet.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm with PS4S, car has it from factory.
In the past had many brands and models, the best ones for me are the dutch Vredestein Ultrac Vorti, amazing dry grip but quieter than PS4S

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm curious what other tires people have used. I truly don't like the P-Zero's. They are super noisy, and grip is awful (maybe it's because they're cycled out). Either way, they're about to go.

TireRack has a few other options. I run 19's, but the Bridgestone Potenza S-04 looks like a great alternative. They have them in the 18" variety, as well. I was considering them, until I saw that the Yokohama Advan A052 is also an option! If you autocross, these are the "new greatest tires" of the year...supposedly better than the RE71R.

Thoughts??

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You're running 235 on the rear? I thought 265 was standard on the rear…
The factory installed four equal tires (235/45ZR18): Same on both front and rear.

I was, and still am, very satisfied with how I specified my Boxster when I ordered it. In retrospect, however, I should have ordered 19" wheels instead of the upgrade to "18" Cayman Wheels" (I liked the appearance better). 19" would only have been a 1.5% increase in the cost to my driveway, it might have improved that "jumping" (like the rear end is momentarily breaking loose) in a powered turn from a stop I mentioned above, and I could now be simply ordering new Michelin tires as I have preferred for many years.

·
Registered
2021 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
18 Posts
A couple of things:

• If they installed 235's on the back, they screwed up. These cars are supposed to have 235 front and 265 rear. In six years, you are the first I have heard of with this setup.
  • It is customary to go through two sets of rears for each pair of fronts. There is usually no need to replace all four unless you are changing brands.
  • There is absolutely nothing wrong with 18" wheels. 99% of the reason for larger is appearance. The track nutters tend to go with smaller diameter wheels, to save on tires.

·
Registered
109 Posts
There is absolutely nothing wrong with 18" wheels. 99% of the reason for larger is appearance. The track nutters tend to go with smaller diameter wheels, to save on tires.
This is true, but there's also the (very important to me) increase in torque from smaller diameter tires. I haven't done the math on the 718, but on my last car, smaller diameter tires meant an increase of 9% torque. Pretty significant.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
The sticker by the door on the driver’s side has the tire dimensions, check it out.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
This is true, but there's also the (very important to me) increase in torque from smaller diameter tires. I haven't done the math on the 718, but on my last car, smaller diameter tires meant an increase of 9% torque. Pretty significant.
The tires should have very nearly the same diameters as you go from 18" to 19" to 20". 18" get 45 section tires, 19"s get 40, 20"s get 35. Torque will be the same - nothing lost or gained.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts