Porsche 718 Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2021 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
18 Posts
The tires should have very nearly the same diameters as you go from 18" to 19" to 20". 18" get 45 section tires, 19"s get 40, 20"s get 35. Torque will be the same - nothing lost or gained.
Exactly. It's the wheel size and sidewall height that change. If the tire diameter was less, you would have all sorts of issues with the stability control nannies and your speedo would read significantly lower than your actual speed.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Agreed...if you are running with manufacturer listed tire sizes. You can run any profile you want so long as the tire fits on the rim. I was only saying that less expensive tires isn't the only reason that people run 18" wheels.

So, if you run a 265/35-18 tire on the rear instead of a 265/40-19 you are going to have over 7% smaller diameter. And that does translate into higher torque at the ground.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I would say the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S Summer Max Performance tires beat the snot out of the Goodyear F1s. Had them on my F80 and they were great in rain as well. Still usable between 45-50F (not really recommended) while the F1s definitely much more lively in that same temperature range. I did lose some feel vs the Pilot Super Sports but the PSS were custom M3/M4 spec with a slightly more stretched side walls making it slightly stiffer.

·
Registered
718 GTS 2019
90 Posts
Some years ago I did the One Lap thing, in Mazda Rx8, on Yokohama Advan, I think they were AO somethings.

Not a scientific test in any way, but that year we started out from South Bend Indiana headed west in TORENTIAL rains for the 1st track stop in Omaha.
My recollection is the tires did a phenomenal job in the wet - but this was a number of years ago, and tires and compounds have changed and evolved a lot.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Personally, I'd opt for Continental ExtremeContact Sport in 245/40/18 and 275/40/18 instead of Michelin's Pilot Super Sport or Pilot Sport 4S. The PSS is one generation older than the ECS, and the Pilot Sport 4S doesn't seem to come in a 718-friendly sizing -- at least not for 18".

The added bonus is, Conti ECS is phenomenal in the wet (as well as the dry, of course).

·
Registered
4 Posts
My rears wore out in 5k miles. I take the drive it like you stole it approach. Tires are expendable and if you drive it like grandma then why did you buy a sports car. I bought the car to drive not pose. None of those were track miles either. Now to get off the soap box....

PS4S are about the best balance you are going to get. Not the best track tire but not the F1s either. I really didn't like the F1.

I also have a second set of wheels and tires for my track and autocross time. The dailys are PS4S.

·
Super Moderator
1,777 Posts
One thing of which to be careful😮when reading reviews:
The graphs are not "full" length, they only show the last segment and hence the differences are deceptive. i.e. the difference between 35.1 and 35.8 (dry braking) is NOT the 20% or so the graph indicates. 😁

·
Registered
519 Posts
Personally, I'd opt for Continental ExtremeContact Sport in 245/40/18 and 275/40/18 instead of Michelin's Pilot Super Sport or Pilot Sport 4S. The PSS is one generation older than the ECS, and the Pilot Sport 4S doesn't seem to come in a 718-friendly sizing -- at least not for 18".

The added bonus is, Conti ECS is phenomenal in the wet (as well as the dry, of course).
I has the continental ECS on my old M3 and you are right, they are fantastic tires especially in the wet.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
I wear MPS4S N0. We have confirmed that there are differences in the tread channel width (sipes) the N0 having the larger ones. I have experienced scary instances of hydroplaning when I was driving the unfortunate combination Goodyear F1 in the front and MPS4S in the rear (the car was a CPO and I didn't catch it at the time of sale).

There are no MPS4S for 18". If Goodyear makes Porsche N-spec 18" tires, I would consider sticking with them. There is a reason for the N-spec.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My boxster came with the p0 tyres that I found to be awful. My main criteria on replacement was anything but.

I went for the Michelin pilot cup sport and they’ve been fantastic. Yes I could have got the Goodyear eagle option to save a few pounds but when you have to have n rated tyres the options are limited. Pirelli, Goodyear and Michelin are the only ones.

I’ve not had any reason to feel cheated or that I’ve lost out so far and am looking forward to swapping out the front wheels to Michelin from Pirelli as well.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Our BS wears MPS4S N0 and my lovely Bride's SL450 wears Extreme Contact Sport. Comparison is apples/oranges, due to vastly different platforms. Regardless, I feel the MPS4S N0's communicate better and breakaway transition is far more linear...then again, that could be due to significant weight distribution differences between the BS and SL450. Thus, I'll be sticking :sneaky: with MPS4S N0's when the time comes to replace tires in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It’s been well recommended here ,and Tire Rack reviews rank higher than Michelin and Goodyear, and they’re less expensive than the aforementioned—Falken Azenis FK 510’s. I just shod my 718S with them and have a track day coming up. So, we’ll see how they perform!

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
It’s been well recommended here ,and Tire Rack reviews rank higher than Michelin and Goodyear, and they’re less expensive than the aforementioned—Falken Azenis FK 510’s. I just shod my 718S with them and have a track day coming up. So, we’ll see how they perform!
This could be a viable, yet inexpensive alternative. Please write you observations in a dedicated thread.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts