Porsche 718 Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Update: So its been working great so far, but I wanted wireless android auto so...

I'm a beta tester for AAWireless (AAWireless) , which is basically a USB dongle with bluetooth and wifi built in. So Unichip Android Auto + AAwireless == Wireless Android Auto working perfectly :)

View attachment 28323

Plug the AAWireless device into the USB port, and then just pair to the bluetooth provided by AAWireless, and it connects you to its own builtin wifi automatically, and you're done. nearly lag-less. I do NOT have Porsche Connect (builtin wifi or SIM card slot), FWIW.
You are so lucky to be a beta tester on that. I have been following the development of AAwireless as of late and I can't wait for it to become available. I will buy it in a heartbeat!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Another AAWireless update: You can change the DPI so that the apps give you a different view. Kinda small, but still neat:

·
Registered
73 Posts
That is actually very useful as the map, at least in my opinion, has too much horizontal wasted space.

·
Registered
44 Posts
That is actually very useful as the map, at least in my opinion, has too much horizontal wasted space.
Yea, I would agree with you. But this ends up being too small for my old bi-focaled eyes to read without straining, and also, the buttons are harder to press since they are smaller. I changed it to use a lower "DPI" (120 fwiw), which gives more vertical height but doesnt split screen it.

Reactions: shappy

·
Registered
53 Posts
I really want AA in my car but the level of security exposure scares me. I get that you can use a burner laptop but what if it is also installing software that compromises your phone when you connect to Android Auto? Hope that's not the case obviously but I can't take the risk.

Just out of curiosity, why does one of the pictures show the side console pulled off?

·
Registered
44 Posts
... but what if it is also installing software that compromises your phone when you connect to Android Auto? Hope that's not the case obviously but I can't take the risk...
Then we should hire Unichip for the US Intelligence Community because that would be a very sophisticated piece of software for an extremely limited audience. They can help us overspin the Iranian centrifuges again...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I really want AA in my car but the level of security exposure scares me. I get that you can use a burner laptop but what if it is also installing software that compromises your phone when you connect to Android Auto? Hope that's not the case obviously but I can't take the risk.

Just out of curiosity, why does one of the pictures show the side console pulled off?
That's a good call out. I previously had a hardware-based solution (Naviplus) - which I'd removed in lieu of Unichip's software-based solution. I didn't fully re-assemble the car until after I know the software-based solution actually worked :) .... just in case I needed to re-install the hardware solution.

Good news is that the Unitech solution works GREAT.

·
Registered
8 Posts

There is no risk involved.
I have done remote activation on one of the member Pantaleoc cars.
You can ask him :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
I apparently have too much time on my hands, wrote an android auto application that talks to Torque Pro to get OBDII information:

1.png

Speed+RPM over time, boost level, oil temp, and ambient and IAT temps

0.png

self-explanatory

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
oooooohhhhh - would you be willing to share the APK?
I would :)

Phone needs to be rooted as this is just the type of application that Google doesnt want folks to make, and you need to use https://github.com/Eselter/AA-Phenotype-Patcher to have it show on AA launcher.

And have Torque Pro installed and configured with your bluetooth OBDII reader (I have an OBDLink LX unit and it works great with this and with Harry's Lap Timer)

It also shows a notification when you fuel level gets too low, with an audible 'ding' and a nice lady telling you that you need gas. Tapping the notification brings up Google Maps with 'gas stations near me'.

PM me your email and I'll send it off.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts