Porsche 718 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It works! Okay, calm down Jim. Take a deep breath.

There have been lots of postings on the subject but this is a new twist, I think. I've been plugging a defunct iPhone into my Cayman's CarPlay port, using my Samsung Galaxy S7 as a WiFi Hotspot to give the iPhone a WiFi data source. It works well for navigation but it causes the car to lose Bluetooth connection to my S7. That means the S7 could not make or receive phone calls through the PCM. The Connection Manager in the PCM is supposed to let me switch a connected iPhone to iPod mode, thereby releasing the CarPlay connection so that the S7 could connect via Bluetooth again. But whenever I tried it the car would immediately jump back to an iPhone connection. Hence no phone hands-free calls in the car unless I reset the PCM, which takes a long time.

I had considered the CarLinkit 4. Their descriptions are ambiguous but it seemed like the version 4 could handle wireless Android Auto. I would have tried that before but my S7 couldn't do wireless AA, only wired. Well, a few weeks ago the S7 camera stopped working and nothing I tried fixed it. It had been running out of memory anyway. Then my carrier offered a discount on the older phones so they could push the new S22. So I upgraded to an S21. Then CarLinkit ran a sale and I figured it was time to try it. It took two weeks to get here from China.

My concern after reading the included documentation was that it supported AA just fine but only for cars which did AA natively. Inotherwords it might upgrade from wired to wireless but with no other added functionality. I can happily report that it does the conversion from AA to CP just fine.

The car recognized the CarLinkit 4 immediately when I plugged it in. It took a few tries for my phone to see the CarLinkit as a Bluetooth device but once it did and paired I got a PCM screen with navigation an' phone connectivity an' audio an' an' everything!

The phone, actually Google, threw me a curveball early on when I looked for AA. It isn't there even though Google PlayStore said it was installed. It turns out that they don't support it any more by that name but it is a built-in "drive mode" or something. It just comes up by itself, or something. Or something.

Anyway, I tried asking the PCM for a route to work and it gave me one, with directions through the car's audio system. Then I tried calling my sweetie and the call went through using the car's audio system and mic. Then I had her call me and I talked to her through the car's system. All this means I can have real-time directions and phone connectivity too! Even better, I no longer have to worry about the iPhone's battery running down if i don't drive the car for a week or two. That CarLinkit unit must be taking the video from the S21 and converting it whatever format the CarPlay connector needs for the PCM to work with it. It appears that the communication between car and S21 is just fine, thank you.

It's a win!

·
Registered
2018, GTS, PDK
775 Posts
It works! Okay, calm down Jim. Take a deep breath.

There have been lots of postings on the subject but this is a new twist, I think. I've been plugging a defunct iPhone into my Cayman's CarPlay port, using my Samsung Galaxy S7 as a WiFi Hotspot to give the iPhone a WiFi data source. It works well for navigation but it causes the car to lose Bluetooth connection to my S7. That means the S7 could not make or receive phone calls through the PCM. The Connection Manager in the PCM is supposed to let me switch a connected iPhone to iPod mode, thereby releasing the CarPlay connection so that the S7 could connect via Bluetooth again. But whenever I tried it the car would immediately jump back to an iPhone connection. Hence no phone hands-free calls in the car unless I reset the PCM, which takes a long time.

I had considered the CarLinkit 4. Their descriptions are ambiguous but it seemed like the version 4 could handle wireless Android Auto. I would have tried that before but my S7 couldn't do wireless AA, only wired. Well, a few weeks ago the S7 camera stopped working and nothing I tried fixed it. It had been running out of memory anyway. Then my carrier offered a discount on the older phones so they could push the new S22. So I upgraded to an S21. Then CarLinkit ran a sale and I figured it was time to try it. It took two weeks to get here from China.

My concern after reading the included documentation was that it supported AA just fine but only for cars which did AA natively. Inotherwords it might upgrade from wired to wireless but with no other added functionality. I can happily report that it does the conversion from AA to CP just fine.

The car recognized the CarLinkit 4 immediately when I plugged it in. It took a few tries for my phone to see the CarLinkit as a Bluetooth device but once it did and paired I got a PCM screen with navigation an' phone connectivity an' audio an' an' everything!

The phone, actually Google, threw me a curveball early on when I looked for AA. It isn't there even though Google PlayStore said it was installed. It turns out that they don't support it any more by that name but it is a built-in "drive mode" or something. It just comes up by itself, or something. Or something.

Anyway, I tried asking the PCM for a route to work and it gave me one, with directions through the car's audio system. Then I tried calling my sweetie and the call went through using the car's audio system and mic. Then I had her call me and I talked to her through the car's system. All this means I can have real-time directions and phone connectivity too! Even better, I no longer have to worry about the iPhone's battery running down if i don't drive the car for a week or two. That CarLinkit unit must be taking the video from the S21 and converting it whatever format the CarPlay connector needs for the PCM to work with it. It appears that the communication between car and S21 is just fine, thank you.

It's a win!

great stuff Jim,
goad to hear we have dragged you into future finally :cool:
carlink - brilliant for our cars imho.

·
Registered
2021 CT 6MT
103 Posts
so, i need to be explicit and get this straight ...

i have an android phone
i have a 718 T that's wired for iOS Carplay, but i don't use it
i can buy this v4 version of this thing and plug it into the usb port in the glove box
i can then connect my android phone to this thing in the glovebox via BT
once connected, this thing will cast AA to the PCM screen so that i can actually see the maps now, instead of squinting at my phone?

is that correct?

·
Registered
602 Posts
I see several on Amazon. Which one exactly did you buy?

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so, i need to be explicit and get this straight ...

i have an android phone
i have a 718 T that's wired for iOS Carplay, but i don't use it
i can buy this v4 version of this thing and plug it into the usb port in the glove box
i can then connect my android phone to this thing in the glovebox via BT
once connected, this thing will cast AA to the PCM screen so that i can actually see the maps now, instead of squinting at my phone?

is that correct?
That seems to be correct. That's what I was hoping for and what seems to work. The only requirement is that the Android phone must be able to do wireless AA. My previous phone, the S7, could not, which is why I did not pursue the Carlinkit 4 when I first saw it. Wireless AA requires some newer version of Android and apparently some support in the phone too which the S7 could not do. IIRC, the S8 and later were okay. There is some mention in the meager documentation about requiring Android 8 and maybe even 11. If you are a foot-dragger on updating your phone like I was, yours may not work.

There is a secondary USB plug on the Carlinkit 4. Their documentation does not describe its capabilities very well. It might just be an alternate way to connect to the car.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I see several on Amazon. Which one exactly did you buy?
I ordered it directly from the Carlinkit website. The CPC200-CP2A, or just CP2A. The Carlinkit 3 has a different Id, something like UBW or UWB or SWB or something.

Reactions: rasetsu

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
2021 CT 6MT
103 Posts

·
Registered
2018, GTS, PDK
775 Posts
see, that's why i asked. i already eff'd up your instructions! :ROFLMAO:

guys, for what it’s worth - I purchased the v3 from amz - they had an offer/discount and I had some vouchers so no brainier. I saw the v4 and did a comparison and saw no benefit to me apart from its more expensive.
I did not check android benefits to be clear, was based purely on my iPhone - worth comparing for sure but what I do know is I have my music, tunes, maps(waze) etc etc all wireless and nice colour screens to boot And am very happy with all the results.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
guys, for what it’s worth - I purchased the v3 from amz - they had an offer/discount and I had some vouchers so no brainier. I saw the v4 and did a comparison and saw no benefit to me apart from its more expensive.
I did not check android benefits to be clear, was based purely on my iPhone - worth comparing for sure but what I do know is I have my music, tunes, maps(waze) etc etc all wireless and nice colour screens to boot And am very happy with all the results.
I'm pretty sure the only benefit of the 4 over the 3 is the ability to do Android Auto from an Android phone. The 3 is limited to just iPhones.

Reactions: subculture

·
Registered
2021 CT 6MT
103 Posts
I'm pretty sure the only benefit of the 4 over the 3 is the ability to do Android Auto from an Android phone. The 3 is limited to just iPhones.
Big thanks for mentioning this and trying it out too, Jim. I've been livid for the past year that $20K Nissans and Subarus have AA and an $80K+ Porsche doesn't.

My carlinkitV4 arrives on Tuesday and I can't wait to try it out!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Thanks for the report Jim, I have to try it.
It's a shame that Porsche was paid off by apple not to offer android support even though the head unit is capable of doing it.

I hope it's stable for hours long trips too!

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's a shame that Porsche was paid off by apple not to offer android support even though the head unit is capable of doing it.

I hope it's stable for hours long trips too!
We took Portia out for a bit yesterday, not hours but long enough. Stability seems just fine. So far it seems to do everything it claims to do. I had been hoping to find a device which presented itself to the PCM as an iPhone and as an AA connection to my phone. This seems to be what I was looking for. Of course the user AA interface is different from what I had been seeing with the previous iPhone so I've had to learn my way around.

As for Apple paying off Porsche, I don't know. Porsche have their own reasons for doing most things, some of which are pretty subtle. To my Luddite, don't-upgrade-anything-unless-necessary mind the whole built-in display screen thing with displayable maps and verbal route instructions and voice input was a high-tech treat when I bought the Cayman. Now we also have a Chrysler Pacifica with a larger screen with more stuff and built-in Nav and AA and more stuff and more controls for everything and more stuff and cameras all around, and did I mention more stuff? It's bigger than the Cayman's. And you know what? Touching any particular icon on the touchscreen is way harder in the Pacifica than in the Cayman. Finding something with a quick glance while driving is nearly impossible. Even the real buttons for a few functions, redundant to the touchscreen BTW, are unidentifiable by touch. As a device to keep the passenger occupied that's great. Not so great for the driver. So I tend to have deaf ears to complaints about Porche's decisions w.r.t. the PCM. It's a delight. I could have continued being happy with my previous offline iPhone approach. The Carlinkit 4.0 is a nice upgrade.

• Love
Reactions: subculture

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have been looking at Carlinkit 4 for wireless CarPlay for my Cayman and this thread has been very useful, thanks.

How much are people paying in the UK? On Amazon it seems to be around £130, but on ebay around £65. I am concerned the ebay one is a horrible clone.

·
Registered
2018, GTS, PDK
775 Posts
UK wise, I ended up paying GBP 85 for the v3. They did have an offer on at the time.
Just looked and both v3 and v4 from AMZ roughly the same price but still discounts off and both around the GBP 100 mark - approx USD 122 ish !
Pros here are its from AMZ so you can return and know it will be ok. Cons, its more expensive then EB of course.
Would suggest a little interweb surfing to see if you buy better or direct maybe ?
Not saying the EB version is a clone btw but does seem a little cheap.

In the end, these things start even cheaper BUT none I have seen or heard of with as good results for our particular cars. There maybe one out there for GBP 30 that does the job just as good, just saying we have not stumbled across it yet :cool:

·
Registered
2021 CT 6MT
103 Posts
Ok. So this thing came in a day early. Install is easy (only works hooked into USB in the center console/armrest, NOT the one in the glovebox) and paired quickly. The only thing I don't like is that I have to disconnect from the home wifi to get it working immediately before I drive away, but that's a small price to pay for finally having AA on my PCM.

For the record, I'm running a Pixel 4 on Android 12.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Wait, pardon my shocked expression right now... You're saying that if I get a Carlinkkit 4 and use it with my Android 11 phone on my Carplay optioned 718, I can have the full Android Auto experience on my center console display!?!?! Photos please as I'd love to have this simple sounding option! Is this amazon (USA) product the same one you've used? It has the same part number and is $90 USD

I can't name names, but I had a chat with the executive responsible for getting carplay added to the 991.2 & 718 series cars. They described how those above them felt like it would cannibalize their own Porsche subscription services and how hard they had to fight just to get carplay added. Mind you, the hardware system used in Porsche is shared with the rest of VAG which already supported AA, but would have required much more extensive testing due to Porsche's customizations and compatibility with Android phones due to the many different Android permutations. So it wasn't a "Apple payoff", but instead it was an incredibly hard push just to get carplay added, let alone AA. More like "Fine, try adding carplay support and see what the take rate is..." sort of situation. I think we all know which we would rather have, carplay/AA or Porsche connected services. I'm just thankful they've finally seen the error of their ways and have added AA as an option to the newer 992 models.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts